Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a little late to complain about this, but I wonder why they didn't include an oil pressure gauge or at least a warning light on the pre-07 400's? I get nervous wondering how my oil is doing while I'm riding.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The post 07 don't have one, reason being they are roller bearing engines and so only
run very low pressure, if they put a light on riders would be complaining it was on all
the time it was at low revs. something like between 5 and 15 psi at 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The post 07 don't have one, reason being they are roller bearing engines and so only
run very low pressure, if they put a light on riders would be complaining it was on all
the time it was at low revs. something like between 5 and 15 psi at 3000 rpm.
+1. I doubt the oil pressure is that high if it is measurable at all. Some of the really old cars and motorcycles (BMW and others) didn't have oil pumps at all. They had dippers on the rod caps that picked up the oil for the rod bearings. A lot of small engines like Briggs and Stratton don't have oil pumps and work the same way, sometimes for decades.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My 27 Model-T and 28 Model-A Fords both have dippers and zero pressure and they are still smooth running engines.

·
Registered
770 Posts
An oil-level indicator would be nice...if an economy car can have one, it shouldn't be a big deal on a $7000+ Burgman!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The oil pressure spec for the pre-'07 models is above 11.4 and below 22.8 psi @ 3,000 rpm; for the later models above 4.2 and below 15.6 psi @ 3,000 rpm...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts