Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my few trips seeing some Honda Goldwings, they have moutning points and surfaces all over the place for all kinds of things like wind wings, radios and intercoms, electronic accessories.

Should I desire to mount something on these scooters, plastics will have to be cut.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
One word for you-VELCRO!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I hear jokes all the time about folks questioning the usability and strength of Velcro. Little story about that.

I worked in the US Navy for 9 years and worked on the Hovercraft LCAC that they have. The boat goes over 60MPH, has two BIG fans on the back that propel it, and is subjected to rain, seawater, and of course, wind speeds in excess of 200MPH from the fans.

The firehoses on deck are held on the rack by two inch wide strips of Vecro. It's the only thing that will not rot or deteriorate and yet strong enough to stay in place. The only difference is that they rivit the velcro to the rack rather than the tape that civilian Vecro comes with.

It is good stuff, no doubt.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I tires attaching some velcro to the top compartments. It did not work. The glue would not stick. I am thinking about using some small rivets to attach the felt part but I haven't gotten a round to it. It is either that or the R.A.M. system.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have velcro stuck to my seat front for my Motocomm AB-1m system. It holds well, but I'll probably eventually stitch the loops half down. I did clean the surface with an alcohol swab before sticking it down, though.

My other gadgets have been screwed into the dash plastic pieces. If I had something heavier I'd put a backer plate behind and screw through into it. You can buy replacement plastic for the dash, and I figured I'd do that if I ever got tired of the gadgets and holes I've made.

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
For items you will not be removing as often you might also look into what is called "uni-lock" which is basically velcro but has no 'felt' side. both sides are 'hooks'. I've seen a company use it to make portable clean rooms but i'm sure there are other applications. with a 1"x3" overlap on a loop of about 3' my friend and I were able to lift over 75 pounds without 'shearing' or breaking the stuff. Although at 90 pounds the loop broke. Mind you, the loop was still connected at the 1"x3" overlap spot, the plastic failed and snapped at the point where the weights were hanging on the loop. The stuff will put velcro to shame but can be difficult to remove until to get the knack of peeling it off. Also, the adhesive glue is better quality and I believe you can get it in two strengths. The blue-backed, if I recall correctly, is the stronger of the two and will adhere through higher temperatures and more 'shearing pressure'. Uni-Lock is not as flexible as velcro though and is most effective on a flat surface.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Radio Shack has 1" squares of Velcro - both sides hard plastic, backs are peal and stick and they do stick ! - they are used to hold elect. components in place.
I used them to hold the "lowers" (plastic wind deflectors) on my BMW.
Will not come apart unless you rip them apart.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Randy,
Did those 1" blocks have hooks on both sides? If so that's the same (basic) think I'm referring to. Do you remember what name they sell it under? I'll take a jaunt over and see if it's the same stuff.
Oh, also, went by local dealer to chcek on a 'ram mount' style gimble-cupholder and they have one in stock, for $45 :(
I think I can get it cheaper online but haven't added up the bar, ball, etc prices yet. I want to know what others used and how long bar but that is fuel for another thread.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Where would one mount Air Horns ? Velcro just sounds wrong... and some of the areas that look good to mount them may be impacted as suspension works up and down...

Perhaps a plate bolted thru the plastic... might be better to use 2 plates, one on each side (or perhaps very large washers ?) - to keep from having a bolt break thru the plastic ?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
3M makes the brand name "dual-lok". "dual-lock"

Used by the laminar lip to attach to windshield.

Only time it broke loose was when the lip hit a blackbird at 80MPH :wink:

Getting the 3M VHB (very high bond) adhesive backing is important for adhesion. It is made in 2 or 3 different adhesive strengths. VHB is best.

As was said, proper surface prep prior to sticking it counts also. It must be very clean.

3M also makes an adhesive promotor that micro "scuffs" the surface first. Used by the auto repair biz to attach trim etc.

Food for thought

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts