Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 650 had an aftermarket (donut) backrest on it when I purchased it.
The steel rods would poke me right in the kidneys.
I put the original backrest on it and it had no support at all.
My older 400 had a Utopia backrest that was so comfortable I rode it more that the 650. Long story short. I purchased the mounting bracket from Utopia and mounted the backrest on my 650.
This is the most comfortable backrest I have ever had on a motorcycle.
I can ride for hundreds of miles now.
If you are a long distance rider you really should look at their backrest for the Burgmans.

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
Some like Boxers, some like Briefs, and some like Commando.

I like kemchee and I like Sauerkraut but hate Cole Slaw, all 3 are Cabbage.

I have the BearCat backrest that some call Donut shaped. I like it. The steel rods are much lower than Kidney level.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've got the donut from Bestbackrests and I love it. The two rods barely even touch me, and even then they're in the fleshy part of my lower back. Very comfortable for all-day riding. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and I really recommend them for taller riders - this backrest gives me an extra couple of inches of room right where it's most needed.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have the BearCat backrest that some call Donut shaped. I like it. The steel rods are much lower than Kidney level.[/QUO

I too have the Bearcat with a small blow-up pillow - excellent! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took mine off and threw it in the barn.
I'm 78 inches tall and it gave me more knee room,
and didn't hit me in the a$$ when I hit a bump
JimV

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had that problem with the donut on mine, one rod at a time in the vise and bent the rod where it came straight out of the bottom instead of angled toward the rider, then had to take some angle out of the original bends to have the backrest leaning forward just a touch so when you lean against it , it is at the angle of your back while sitting on the seat. that took a couple of tries to get it just right but it was worth it. I did all of this borrowing a vise and a few tools from the owner of the motel I stayed in for 2 days waiting on the weather to warm up to get my new 650 home I just bought. It was a very comfortable 450 mile ride home. Just goes to show it's the angle of the dangle :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If your Isuzu headrest is not bent correctly, the bars will poke you in the back before you can rest on the padding. This happened on one I bought off someone. I had to get one from the junk yard and have it bent properly as I am not equipped for that.

Not a problem with my new backrest. No poking there. :)

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
I do have to add, when I was in my accedent DEC 10, 2010 I hit a Chevy pickup at 40 MPH. I remember the bike start a low side as I was steering hard left and lost traction. Then the rear tire caught and caused a high-side throwing my body into his truck then the bike hit me, then his truck. Among all the broken bones and internal injures, I had a Donut shaped bruise on my lower back, liver area. About the only thing comical about that crash was the shape of the bruise.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have a Utopia on my 650 and it is the most comfortable I have ever had. I recommend it highly.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I believe the utopia is the best backrest but it is also the most expensive - go figure.;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I believe the utopia is the best backrest but it is also the most expensive - go figure.;)
The more your back hurts, the less important the price becomes. I crushed 5 vertebra in my back in a car accident in 1968 and the doctors were amazed that I could still walk. After back braces, pain medications and back surgery, the cost of the Utopia is minor. I'm just glad I can take 2 Naproxen, 1 Tylenol and am able to ride all day on my 650 without back pain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really don't know if I would have shucked out the bucks for a whole new backrest.
All I had to purchase was the bracket for the 650 seat.
But.....If you ever get a chance to sit on a bike with the Utopia you might change your mind about how much they cost.
I'm not advertising for them. I just like to be comfortable when I ride and this sucker rocks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Utopia Backrest

I sold my Bearcat backrest on this website and purchased a Utopia backrest. I couldn't understand why I was getting pain in my kidneys after long rides with the new backrest. I then discovered by having the backrest set too low the curved section edge was hitting my kidneys. Being fully adjustable the fix was easy. I just raised the backrest higher. Problem gone away!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Bearcat and the bars are a bit uncomfortable, Also it seemed to feel like I was a bit too stretched out when riding. Bought a cheap car back pad and it made a world of difference, makes for a super soft and comfy ride for your back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Utopia is the best. It's adjustable which I do from time to time. It can be added without going through the butt rest also. 700 miles in one day with no back problems.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The more your back hurts, the less important the price becomes. I crushed 5 vertebra in my back in a car accident in 1968 and the doctors were amazed that I could still walk. After back braces, pain medications and back surgery, the cost of the Utopia is minor. I'm just glad I can take 2 Naproxen, 1 Tylenol and am able to ride all day on my 650 without back pain.
The Naproxen works for me as well, I use the back rest extension but may have to check out the utopia.

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
After I had my major accident in 2010 I did the 3 Naprox (2 and 12 hr's later 1) and 1 Tylenol till I devoleped Fattey Liver disease. I am still suffering from liver pain. Use caution with over the counter meds.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
After I had my major accident in 2010 I did the 3 Naprox (2 and 12 hr's later 1) and 1 Tylenol till I devoleped Fattey Liver disease. I am still suffering from liver pain. Use caution with over the counter meds.
I agree. I take mine on the advice of my doctor. She runs tests every 6 months to make sure everything is in order. I take 2 naproxen and 1 Tylenol only on days I plan on riding or doing something very physical (like cutting wood). I never take more than 2 in a 24 hour period. It has worked well for me. I have tried a lot of things since I crushed 5 vertebra in 1968 and the naproxen/Tylenol has worked the best. A lot of the pricey OTC medications use a similar combination.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
1) How about hot weather? Isn't Utopia making your back sweating?

2) Istn't Utopia interfering with back protector?
I haven't had any problem at all. It's just there and it works.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts