Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just trailered home my 2008 650 (non-executive) and it does not have an owners manual. I have pretty much figured out the buttons all over the handlebars but do have a couple questions. What do the two hand-brake levers do. Is one the rear and one the front? Or is one the rear and the other both? Its 26 degrees here so to cold to get it out and experiment.
Also how do I check the oil? Remove the floor cover between my feet?
I'll probably have many more simple questions, bear with me :) .
Thanks.
Mike.......

·
Registered
735 Posts
Don't know about the K8 (2008 model) but my K4 has independent non-linked brakes front/rear. Front is on the right handle in traditional motorcycle style, rear is on the left handle. To check the oil, put something on the ground to protect your knee caps and then look in the oval hole in the middle of the left leg side cover (the piece of tupperware under the left floor board). There's a nice sight glass in the engine sump to show you the oil level (and color -- use a flashlight).

Best Burgman resource on the web (other than here):

https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
http://www.tradebit.com/G/manuals

You can a download of the service manual at the above address for under $10. Is a good manual and a great deal.

Right hand lever is of course the front brake and the left is the rear, they are not linked at all. This is a typical scooter control set up.

The oil can be checked through a sight glass on the left side of the engine. Put it on the center stand. The glass is just above the end of the side stand when retracted.

Congratulations. You will love this bike.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked out that link, sounds like I have a bunch of maintenance items to get done since I'm at 7400 miles and don't know the past history on the bike.
Mike..........

·
Registered
770 Posts
Any Suzuki dealer should be able to get an owners' manual.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Note that the transmission oil is not shared with the engine. It does not have a sight glass, only a fill-level hole. However, this normally does not need to be checked between oil changes. There is also oil in the final drive (for the chain of gears down the left swingarm); its fill/overflow and drain holes are concealed under the plastic swingarm cover.

There are posts here with details on how to access and change all of these.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Hope this also help you with new to you Burgie.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Oil checking? You don't need to get dirty unless you are doing your own oil changes.

Suzuki has a lovely oil level indicator. If it comes on....top off. If it doesn't ride away.

You will see it for a moment when you switch the key on towards the left of the dash.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Oil checking? You don't need to get dirty unless you are doing your own oil changes.

Suzuki has a lovely oil level indicator. If it comes on....top off. If it doesn't ride away.

You will see it for a moment when you switch the key on towards the left of the dash.

Since mine has never come on, how do I know it works? I would hate to find out it didn't work the hard way. I only have 15,000 on mine but the oil level has never dropped at all.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
It comes on every time you start the engine to show you that is works - just as your oil change does and other warning lights do.

That the oil level has never dropped should maybe tell you something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts