Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after have a $2500 repair bill for my transmission back in October -November on my 06 at 49,000 miles and replacing the CVT belt at the same time, I was riding home last night and the dreaded F1 light came on and the burg once again would not shift gears.I had it taken to the shop and a quick look over. With 54,000 miles on this bike, I feel that it is a way overpriced throw away bike and will not own another burg even if it was given to me. ( I was told this repair would be approx. $2300 - 2800 just like the last time. This to me is a higher cost then if I had purchased those China made toss aways. Good luck all and hope you have better luck and get more than 54,000 miles from your burgs

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
wow, that stinks. id be pissed too. iv had 2 burg 650's in the past. never had problems but i sold them before 20k miles. i was always concerned about that complex cvt. never really had peace of mind about it. iv heard of alot of failures costing nearly 3k to fix.

yesterday i got a yamaha majesty. it has a more simple cvt, kinda like the burgman 400. i would recommend either of those scooters over the 650 burg.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
cmn1771 said:
yesterday i got a yamaha majesty. it has a more simple cvt, kinda like the burgman 400. i would recommend either of those scooters over the 650 burg.
I like the Majesty's too. Yamaha has always been my favorite bike and if I were to get a new ride it would be their Tmax.

Sad to here about the 650 but that is one of many reasons I have avoided the Lardy. Too expensive, complex, and cumbersome.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I have always thought of the 650 as a throw away scoot, considering it's repair costs if you are not a DIYer...

However, despite all of its short comings, it is an amazing machine...

now out of curiosity, why are you getting another F1 light after the last big repair, especially with having replaced the CVT belt?

what does the F1 code tell you?

Shops have their own reasons for wanting to work on bikes?

it could be nothing, or just a loose connector etc...

ask for a bit more detail about the F1 code?

good luck with your next ride....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike has been donated to help Orphans it went 1st thing this am. I will not recomend or even hint at anyone buying a 650 (in my opion the F1 code means flush 1 down the toilet from what I have been reading on here 50 k for mileage seems to be the doomday area.

·
Registered
562 Posts
GeorgeMpug said:
The bike has been donated to help Orphans it went 1st thing this am. I will not recomend or even hint at anyone buying a 650 (in my opion the F1 code means flush 1 down the toilet from what I have been reading on here 50 k for mileage seems to be the doomday area.
:shock: Im a bit worried I made the wrong choice when I bought mine back in June now. . . :|

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I think if I paid someone $2,500 to rebuild a CVT and it broke again in 5,000 miles I would be mad at the folks that did the rebuild. If they did it correctly the CVT should have gone a lot more miles than that. I would blame the repairmen not the bike.

·
Registered
412 Posts
GeorgeMpug said:
What exactly is this group going to do with a broken Burgman? I mean I can't see them parting it out.... Will they auction it? I might give a little something for it. I am very curious as to what they repaired the first time and what they said is wrong with it this time.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I can understand the frustration, but I would at least figure out the reason. If it was the shop I would be going after them. He does sound a bit too upset to get a rational response from.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I also see the B650 as a throw away bike if you don't DIY :oops:

Last time I spent time working on my own bike was back in the 70's. So if the CVT goes out I am just going to get rid of my B650.

Back in the early days I had the (2 stroke triple) Kawasaki HI 500cc and H2 750cc. I had to tear down the top end every 6 thousand miles. I got stuck with points and condensers on my HI and literally filed down the point every week. Plug fouling was common and changing NGK 9 to NGK 8 was normal if I was going to do riding in the city and NGK 10 if I was riding on the highway at continuous high speed(70+mph). Literally every week I had some project on my bike. If I had to take my motorcycles to the shop, the expense would have been unacceptable during those days. Granted the Kawasaki 500cc ran about $1250 and the 750cc ran under $1500 back in the 70's.

Prior I had the BMW F800GS and I was tired of going to the shop all the time for recalls and always something going out. When the left cylinder started weeping oil and the BMW forums and the shop said there is no fix -I got rid of the BMW 800cc. I also had the BMW R1200R which was much more reliable, but has it's own quirks. With traffic in Los Angeles, the BMW clutches in stop-and-go can get less than 50,000mi. Replacing the clutch on the BMW R1200 can also run you $3000+ if you don't DIY. The drift shaft can also go wear out and on occasions need replacing and this is not cheap. There was a person with over 200,000+ mi on his R1200, but he had so much of the bike replaced from wear bearings, clutch, shaft, etc.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the B650 as I think it is ridiculous to have the CVT tucked away where you have to tear down the whole bike to get to the transmission. The B650 has been more reliable much more than my BMW F800GS and less quirks than my BMW R1200R. If anything goes wrong with the CVT, I'm just going to get rid of the B650.

Something that is reliable and cheap if you don't want to DIY.. is the Honda Rebel as an everyday bike. Right now the B650 is something I only use for touring. I use the Honda SH150 for daily commuting. There are times I force myself to ride the B650E just to keep the battery charged. Other than maintenance service both my B650 and SH150 have been flawless. I've had my B650 for 16 months with about 5800mi mostly easy touring cruising miles. The SH150 does all the stop-and-go commuting.

·
Administrator
18,384 Posts
GeorgeMpug said:
azrider said:
What exactly is this group going to do with a broken Burgman? I mean I can't see them parting it out.... Will they auction it? I might give a little something for it. I am very curious as to what they repaired the first time and what they said is wrong with it this time.
These donation business's just have Coparts or another auction house pick it up and do all the paperwork. In a couple of days it will be listed. But unless it is totaled it may be listed with a clean title and to bid on that lot you need a dealers license. Totaled and salvaged titles are open bids for all to bid on, just have to be a member.

·
Registered
562 Posts
R1200 said:
I've had my B650 for 16 months with about 5800mi mostly easy touring cruising miles. The SH150 does all the stop-and-go commuting.

My riding is mostly Mon thru Fri a 2 mile commute to work, 4 miles total each day. Will this kind of riding be too hard on it? Should I look into a smaller commuter scoot? I was worried about extra ins, maint and registration costs but I don't want to beat the 650 into the ground if these short trips will be too hard for it. I do take it to the store and stuff too but I rarely go pleasure riding, at least not yet. I want to join some Sunday rides a columbus, oh group here do just have to meet up with them for the next one.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Scotty,

Based on what you get for the short stuff, but when I had 2 scoots insured it was cheaper than the Burgman alone.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Scotty1981 said:
R1200 said:
I've had my B650 for 16 months with about 5800mi mostly easy touring cruising miles. The SH150 does all the stop-and-go commuting.
Scotty, Bakeisback is correct. You do get in insurance break when you have two or more motorcycle/scooters. I've had both bikes for about 1.5 years. Both bikes have about the same mileage ~5,800mi which translates to about 11,600mi in a year and a half.

So having the B650ex and SH150i is like having an 850cc motorcycle and the best of both worlds. The(SH150i) ability to split lanes(legal in Calif) and park where no large motorcycle could possible fit with the ability to legally be on the freeway(70+mph).
The(B650ex) ability to cruise at an indicated 70 to 80+ mph comfortably all day.
The B650ex is a 'porker' and as I mentioned on this forum that my former BMW F800GS and BMW R1200R weighs less than the B650ex. IMHO that the B650 cruiser better than the F800 and R1200 with the exception that the B650 suspension is not as good as on the BMWs. The B650 does an admirable job of being able to cruise on the 'super slabs' all day every day.
People like Buffalo and LeDude are great at DIY, so it doesn't matter what goes on with their bikes as they service any break down including the CVT. In my younger days, I didn't mind spending hours and days tweaking my 2 stroke triple(cylinders) making this the only way I could afford the superbikes of the '70s.
With 2 bikes(B650 and SH150) they respectively have a service interval of 3500mi(B650) and 2500mi(SH150) -in other words I service my 800cc motorcycle every 6000mi :p so of course it is cheaper to have both bikes and service them at proper intervals.

Again IMO, the B650 loves the open highway cruising at an indicated 70+mph and has the same rpms as my BMW F800 and R1200. I'm not about racing motorcycles as in my earlier years and cruising the B650, the engine feels very relaxed. The SH150i feels good at an indicated 60mph and a little wound out at 70+mph. The SH150 is so comfortable, nimble and easy to park in Los Angeles congested traffic so commuting on both city street and some freeway use is used most in these conditions.

Back to the issue of the CVT and is the B650 a disposable bike? As Buffalo and LeDude don't mind tearing apart the B650 to get to the CVT. I would get rid of my B650 if the CVT went out. Knowing this, I don't race the B650. I cruise easy on the highways without racing it so as not to strain the CVT. On city streets, no 'jack rabbit' start/stop on the B650. Hopefully the less strain I put on the B650, the CVT will hold up longer; although, no guarantees.

The servicing on the B650 and SH150 is definitely cheaper for insurance, servicing, fuel expenses, etc. than owning my former 2 BMWs.

Each person has their own personal preference on which bike or combination of bikes that they prefer. It all depends on what fits your time and budget the best... so there is no right way or wrong way -rather a person's personal preference of which bike(s) a person wants to own.

·
Registered
86 Posts
From what I've read on here from following this subject matter over some time, the Achilles heel of these machines seems to be the seven dollar stopper bolt, that is so very easy to change. Thanks to guys like Buffalo and Le Dude, this problem is pretty easy to avoid for a good long while. I put 56,000 plus miles on my 06 Standard that I sold, with minimal difficulties, and have faith that my current 07 exec will do likewise. While I don't baby my bike when it reaches temperature, I don't cowboy the dog **** out of it either. While I empathize with the poor guy that has this misfortune, I wont loose sleep about this issue tonight, just break out my wifes Silverwing if it should!

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Buy new, get extended warranty, after that expires, get rid of it the next time it breaks down and needs a costly repair to fix it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
tomfelock said:
Buy new, get extended warranty, after that expires, get rid of it the next time it breaks down and needs a costly repair to fix it.
I hadn't yet purchased this, so the 72 month warranty would probably be worthwhile? I've read alot of folks bought it and didn't need it. I suppose I'll get one from Oneida(sp?) and then after 72 months trade in for another ride.

I can wait until 11 months after I purchased to buy the extended right?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry I have been outy of town for the last few days. To answer some questions yes I bought the bike new and replaced the $7.00 stopper bolt twice on this machine. Oil has been changed regularly on a 3,000 mile or less intervals. The bike has always been repaired and serviced from thwe purchasing dealer (since I am handi-capped with pins and screws in my back and an artificial knee. With a tear down cost of approx $800 for everytime something acts up inside the transmission and the value being approx $3,500 on the bike did I feel i was flushing money down the toilet? I am now the owner of a bike I have had no troubles with in the past and will once again be a Loyal Honda Gold Wing Owner. Good l;uck on your 50-55,000 mile disasters. I have been hearing lots of burgs seem to go apart at this mileage range.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Valium, Prozac require here !!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts