Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not swoopy in the least but it fits the "Aerodynamic Streamlining Template" found on the Ecomodders site to a T. It is 37 inches tall, 50 inches wide and 13.3 feet long..... The body will be a fiberglass on foam technique making the body very light but with a strong cage underneath. Let me know what you think.... be safe.

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
Front wheel drive and rear wheel steering killed this before four were made.

Dymaxion Trike 1.jpg

Dymaxion.jpg

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Are the gull wing doors an oversight from a previous version?

Looks good to me.
If it were mine I’d put 2 stage safety catches on the hinged portions (lock and latch, like a car hood has to have) but make it obvious how it works.

It’s embarrassing and more than a little scary if the nose cone tries to join you in the cabin or seek better company elsewhere :) I had simple spring loops on each side once and one gave way, peeling away sideways unhooked the other

I think single headlights are OK in the US but worth checking.
Trikes were all classed as motorcycles but things change. Regs in most countries have a weight/width cut off and there was a push to standardise a lot of stuff.

You could probably bring the antenna in out of the rain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the gull wing doors an oversight from a previous version?

Looks good to me.
If it were mine I’d put 2 stage safety catches on the hinged portions (lock and latch, like a car hood has to have) but make it obvious how it works.

It’s embarrassing and more than a little scary if the nose cone tries to join you in the cabin or seek better company elsewhere :) I had simple spring loops on each side once and one gave way, peeling away sideways unhooked the other

I think single headlights are OK in the US but worth checking.
Trikes were all classed as motorcycles but things change. Regs in most countries have a weight/width cut off and there was a push to standardise a lot of stuff.

You could probably bring the antenna in out of the rain.
Thanks for all the ideas.
Definitely will have three separate latches holding the canopy in place while it is moving. I'm going with California regulations (where I live) and it is consider a motorcycle "trike" as long as it is under 1500 lbs which is not going to be a problem. Due to the aerodynamics (still not a fan of the design but it does work) the fuel mileage should be above 50 mpg at the start of the trip and only get better as the miles click off. I'm not sure about communications with my support vehicles so right now I'm going with the "shark type" antenna until I can confirm what works.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that I wish the factory version had hinge-up panels like this to get to the innards.
I will probably just secure the rear cover with dzus clips to secure it because of the weight of the hinges and the gas springs... but it would be cool to be able to flip it up like the drawing.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
I will probably just secure the rear cover with dzus clips to secure it because of the weight of the hinges and the gas springs... but it would be cool to be able to flip it up like the drawing.
Is not like you will be popping it open to service it on the trip. Later then maybe. For later I'd just do a service door.

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
Reactions: bristowest

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is not like you will be popping it open to service it on the trip. Later then maybe. For later I'd just do a service door.
I'll just superglue the body to the frame.... like you said, it's not like I'll be getting out until the end....

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
If you could design in drop down landing wheels you could do this on two wheels. Like the Monotracer.

On the Midland radios, a friend took his to a shop that tweeks CB's.
They boosted the output and put a higher gain antenna on his.
He now has about a 60 mile range.... but if the FCC catches him it a big fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you could design in drop down landing wheels you could do this on two wheels. Like the Monotracer.

To tell you the truth, I've done over 170 in a four wheel car but after working so many motorcycle crashes, usually ending up with the rider at the best a paraplegic, I am nervous about two wheels but i am seriously considering getting a Burgman to ride before I cannibalize it for the drive train and other parts....

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
Paul, Crashing is not good.
1980-81 crashed my Suzuki GS750 at near 135 MPH on the German Autobahn. Very minor injuries due to good leathers. Low sided at a bit lower speed and bike hit the American Airforce Col that pulled out without looking.

2009 crashed my Honda GL1100 at 30 MPH. Broke left shoulder, collar bone and 4 ribs.

2010 crashed my 2008 Burgman 650 at 40 MPH. Broke 4 ribs, right knee cap, right shin, lacerated right kidney and liver.

April 2015 crashed my second 2008 Burgman 650 at over 75 MPH into the concrete Jersey Barrier and slid 450 feet down the rummble strips. Broke almost everything on my left side, TBI, broke right pubic bone and both elbows and thumbs. 7 days in ICU. 1 month learning to walk again and another just recovering. 6 months later I retired from my job. But in that March while still recovering I bought my current 2003 650 but could not ride it for 3 months.

At 65 years old I can not do things due to injuries but I still get around.

Reactions: bristowest

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Why do I have an urge to go watch old Buck Rogers shows on the TV? Wow, rear wheel steering? Really scary... but neat art deco styling.
Now, with computer assistance, three-wheel steering would be possible and likely quite effective.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Ah, the old foot-warmer trucker box (100W linear amp).

My favorite setup was just a stock CB with an 8' whip... but with a ground wire dropped into the river. Talk about your ground planes!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
To tell you the truth, i am seriously considering getting a Burgman to ride before I cannibalize it for the drive train and other parts....
That was my advice on the first day.... don’t wait get one today ! Learn it’s sounds and it’s feel thru the throttle learn the Power Mode and Manual Shift Mode .... which will all come into play on your epic journey.

Godspeed !

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Ah, but with a ground wire dropped into the river. Talk about your ground planes!
Tell me more !
Skip Land Skip Land....Come In....Skip Land !

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Paul, Crashing is not good.
1980-81 crashed my Suzuki GS750 at near 135 MPH on the German Autobahn. Very minor injuries due to good leathers. Low sided at a bit lower speed and bike hit the American Airforce Col that pulled out without looking.

2009 crashed my Honda GL1100 at 30 MPH. Broke left shoulder, collar bone and 4 ribs.

2010 crashed my 2008 Burgman 650 at 40 MPH. Broke 4 ribs, right knee cap, right shin, lacerated right kidney and liver.

April 2015 crashed my second 2008 Burgman 650 at over 75 MPH into the concrete Jersey Barrier and slid 450 feet down the rummble strips. Broke almost everything on my left side, TBI, broke right pubic bone and both elbows and thumbs. 7 days in ICU. 1 month learning to walk again and another just recovering. 6 months later I retired from my job. But in that March while still recovering I bought my current 2003 650 but could not ride it for 3 months.

At 65 years old I can not do things due to injuries but I still get around.
Wow, that is exactly what scares me... you obviously are an experienced rider and got hurt. I can relate to the pain of recovery. I am five months in to falling ten feet and shattering my hip and right arm.... just transitioned to a walker and am hobbling around.... I am 63 and luckily (in a very weird way) was already retied from my job due to injuries incurred from a on the job shooting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts