Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was washing both mine and my wife's cars which have nitrogen in the tires a thought came to
mind as to why not do the same for my Burgie.

I've had my car for two years and my wife's for a year and in checking the tire pressure I note that they
haven't lost a ounce.

Has anyone used it and what are your remarks?

-Valerio

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nitrogen, is one of the largest make up of our atmosphere, as well as being a large molicule in the atom realm. Helium being one of the smallest.
Many places can have a Nitrogen generator in the back of a garage to produce 98% Nitrogen "air" for your tires, uses a special membrane filter.

Now as to what I know about it is this, Rubber and even steel are not 100% air tight. I work with vacuum chambers of 1" thick steel that goes to low space atmosphere, and we measure the ability to hold vacuum by what amount of leakage we track over a 15 minutes. In fact in order to increase vacuum sealing ability, we use a special dow corning silicon grease which runs $400 per 100grams. Anyhow, as nitrogen is a larger molicule, it is harder to escape the tire. over time the remaining amount of atmosphere 18% or so leaks out. pressure and heat accelerates this. Having 98% or higher nitrogen the tire reduced the loss, however as the tire ages and wears down it will lose some pressure.
What I find funny is from the begining, to have a 100% nitrogen filled tire you would need to vacuum it down to suck the regular atmosphere out of it and that would break the bead...

I would say, if it make you feel better, do it. then find out what places in your area would have nitrogen generators for tires. Your burgman will definatly heat up and lose pressure more than a car would.

by the way, you didn't ride down to Tulalip and stop at the Cabelas late last year did you? saw one there, silver one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
cliffyk said:
I run a special mix that is 78% nitrogen...
He he, do you blow them up manually? some strong lungs....

·
Administrator
18,394 Posts
Well this is the most asked question below what oil. Do a search for Nitrogen in that big blue box above. I will run 20% Oxygen in all my tires as I get it free and its not taxed YET.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Dave_J said:
I will run 20% Oxygen in all my tires as I get it free and its not taxed YET.
:thumbup: + umpteen-million other riders!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Dave_J said:
Well this is the most asked question below what oil. Do a search for Nitrogen in that big blue box above. I will run 20% Oxygen in all my tires as I get it free and its not taxed YET.
Me too,,,,,,,, But have you noticed that at many gas stations and convenioence stores that have gas pumps - AIR is $00.50 for about 5 minutes......!! :?:

·
Registered
492 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
Dave_J said:
Me too,,,,,,,, But have you noticed that at many gas stations and convenience stores that have gas pumps - AIR is $00.50 for about 5 minutes......!! :?:

lucky you. in the UK its 50p for 3 minutes (about 75 cents?)
usually if your not quick the machine switches off just as you manage to fit it to the tyre valve! :D

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Gawd, make the nitrogen discussions stop! :thumbup:

We've beat this to death....just do a search on the main page for NITROGEN, PLEASE..... :cheers:

·
Registered
562 Posts
lucky you. in the UK its 50p for 3 minutes (about 75 cents?)
usually if your not quick the machine switches off just as you manage to fit it to the tyre valve! :D[/quote]

$1.00 for 3 minutes around here, I usually walk around and remove all the caps before I feed the machine any coins. Also if you buy gas a lot of places can turn the machine on for free.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Went to a motorcycle demo by Dunlop this weekend and someone asked about nitrogen, the answer they gave was only real benefit as in racing.

But to the original question, the key message we got was besides check your pressures, was motorcycle tyres are much more complex and different manufacture process to car tires so assumptions don't always carry over - just saying , Nuff said

·
Registered
243 Posts
All commercial aircraft tires are serviced with nitrogen, and it has nothing to do with pressure loss. The nitrogen is "dry", it won't hold moisture like air, which helps prevent corrosion in the wheels, or forming ice at altitude. Also, nitrogen is not flammable. In the "somewhat common" event of an overheated brake, aircraft wheels have fuse plugs that are designed to melt and release the tire pressure slowly to prevent explosion. Common air with oxygen would feed a fire. Not good. For car tires to be serviced properly with nitrogen, they are supposed to be inflated/deflated at least 3 times to purge as much of the "air" out as possible before final nitrogen pressure is applied.

·
Administrator
18,394 Posts
Jetfixer said:
<<<SNIP>>>For car tires to be serviced properly with nitrogen, they are supposed to be inflated/deflated at least 3 times to purge as much of the "air" out as possible before final nitrogen pressure is applied.
Purging all that Nitrogen is polluting the AIR. :D :twisted:

·
Registered
426 Posts
At least for those of you comparing prices on AIR at service stations, well, at least you have those options! Here in mainland China at least in most of the areas I have been in, getting AIR is not even an option. Most still sell petrol, diesel and not a lot else. BP at al. coming into the local market with the integrated convenience store with petrol station concept has caught on so a few Chinese brands are following with the same market concept. But forget any mechanical services of any kind at the local petrol station. Actually few service stations allow the customer to fill-er up themselves, and with good reason. Mind you some of the pump attendants are not much better, often refuelling to fast or worse on my AN650K7. Just yesterday fuel overflowed onto the rear lardy arse and down via the overflow tube onto the left tranny cover. Naturally sometimes they offer to clean it but last time, no water instead the female pump attended wanted to use a dry rag!

These places deserve the developing country tag line for a reason (often many reasons), so for all the hype about the up and rising China sorry, but they got a long long way to go IMO. I feel well qualified to make that statement and judgement, I've lived here 11 years.

So, to put it into perspective, at least most of you can get AIR even if you have to pay for it. Hell some enterprising so and so, could bottle/can large quantities of clean AIR and ship it to China, they (we) need it! Since they need to import most everything else especially raw materials, seems AIR fits nicely into that category!?

Rant, over.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
cliffyk said:
I run a special mix that is 78% nitrogen...
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha......Commonly known as - air.....!!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Who would have thought a non flammable gas would generate so much heated discussion.

·
Administrator
18,394 Posts
This is one of those topics that if theres nothing new to say........ like an old FART.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts