Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a visitor at my house this afternoon - the nine year old son of my daughter's ex-fiance. (Long story, but my daughter ended up careing for the kid a lot while he's visiting his dad in Nebraska. Dad works nights.)

Anyway, I took him down to the garage to look at my motorcycle and scooter, and he was fascinated. I let him sit on the scooter. He fit the passenger seat & easily reached the floorboards. Tall and gangly, like I was at his age. Next, he wanted to try on a helmet. My wife's full face fit him perfectly. Next thing, he's politely requesting that we go for a ride. Like I hadn't seen that coming... :wink:

I talked to my wife about taking him for a local spin, and she thought it would be OK.

I took him on about a 5 mile ride. Low traffic roads, and speeds not over 45 mph. He was a good passenger. When we got back he was just bubbling over with enthusiasm - he couldn't stop talking about it.

Made me feel good to see him so excited about his first ride.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
...Made me feel good to see him so excited about his first ride.
When I was 9 or 10 we were visiting my mom's sister in the little town of Sweet Home, Oregon. My teenaged cousin had just bought a motorcycle and I begged him to take me on a ride. The helmet I wore was too big, he wasn't yet an experienced rider and we wobbled a bit from time to time, my helmet kept bumping against his every time he shifted...but I didn't care. I was riding a motorcycle! 8)

I still recall that ride vividly, and it was more than 3 1/2 decades ago.

I encourage all who can to give rides to as many kids as they can. It's an experience that can shape their future attitudes toward bikes and bikers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Awww. That is such a sweet story, Paul. You made that kid's day for sure! :)

Bryna

·
Registered
761 Posts
When I was young, probably about the same age, I was visiting my Aunt and Uncle's place for a holiday. It was during the summer I recall.

He took me out on his Harley for a short jaunt around the neighborhood. I sat in his lap and held on to the gas tank. All I can I remember is the sense of freedom and power. The sense of the wind on my face (yes, this was before helmet laws). I was hooked from then on.

That is a memory I want to pass on to my son.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My husband has taken our grandsons on a ride through the subdivision on his wing. The older one is 8, and he kept telling Grandpa "that is fast enough Pa Pa, your going fast enough." Yet when they came back he told me Pa Pa went slow and easy. The 7 yr old kept saying "Go faster Pa Pa your NOT going fast enough."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts