Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start this new topic with one of my favorite things. Being seen at night. Being around the military for 16 yrs Ive grown accustom to two frames of mind.

1st: Stealth mode. Hunting the enemy, concealment, and suprise.
2nd: Motorcycles, Bright orange vest with lots of reflective stripes.

As a civilian working on a military base. (Nellis AFB, Las Vegas) I dont have to wear all of the gear thats required by the military. However I DO want to be seen by other drivers at night. I really dont want to wear a reflective orange vest that sold at every Wal-mart.

However I just bought a well made yellow reflective belt that goes around my waist and over my shoulder. The reflective material is sewen to a durable nylon strap and well made buckle. Its made by http://www.motrax.co.uk

I want to add one of those things that vary the intensity of the headlamp and also want something that pulses the brake light rapidly when brakes are 1st applied. Any links???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi-Viz

This is part of my Hi-Viz gear... prefer maximum visibility to stealth mode. Always wear at least the hi-viz helmet, and usually a vest or appropiate jacket for the weather conditions. Changed from black gloves to light colored gloves to improve chance of other motorist seeing hand signals.

Links to more Hi-Viz pics:
Safety
Hi-Viz Gear

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW.That is bright. If someone hit you and they say "Im sorry officer, I didnt see him" They are off to jail.
-Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to vent.

In my 1st post I wrote about the type of belt I purchased. So yesterday evening I go onto Nellis AFB. At the gate the SP tells me I need a orange vest with reflective stripes. Not just a belt. (Its 10 pm.) So I pleaded ignorance and said I was a civilian and not military. He reluctantly let me in.

So...Does anyone make an Orange vest with stripes that fits well enough that it doesnt flap around. All I can find locally is the ones runners or bikes would wear.

-Bryan

·
Registered
62 Posts
C Me, C U

I don't care much for the bright vests (The Navy made me wear 'em on base for the better part of 28 years).

However I am kinda fond of reflective tape/cloth on jackets and helmets as well as the rear of the bike. I know..... :? The new machines don't usually have tail lights that burn out after minutes of use, but I rode with Lucas Prince of Darkness on English M/Cs too many years.

Tips for equipment safety? After 40 years of riding, I'd sum it up as Tire Pressure, Tire Pressure, Tire Pressure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello All,

I dont do a lot of night driving,but i'm about to purchase a Hein Gericke bright yellow textile coat,they are gortex,and have a inner removale thermal linning http://www.hein-gericke.com .It will proberly make me look like a british motorcycle cop,but so long as stops a visually impared driver from pulling out in front of me who cares.

Regards

Steve :shock:

·
Registered
319 Posts
A White Helmet - bobbing around with reflective dots on the back and sides shows up well in a vehicle's head lights. Also, a jacket with this white reflective tape that out lines upper body and arms. And light colored gloves at night.

Anyone checked to see if those mirrors with directional leds available for goldwings will fit in the 650 Burgies?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Somewere I saw a tail light blinking device, But I lost the site!
It was about the size of a 50cent piece, about 1/4 inch thick, if I remember correct.
It flashed the tail light 4 or 5 times after you apply the brakes, small easy to hook up and around 25.00 dollars.
Anyone have a link to to it, or know about it.?
I was going to get one, and just never got around to it. :(

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I think a Luxor helmet beam would be quite visible! And if someone cuts you off just look at the floorboards with the top pointed in their direction and they'll pull right over! ;)
Seriously though, I imagine well-placed velcro felts on a jacket and some on a road-worker vest would minimize flapping and you could slap in on in about 10-30 seconds at the gate and remove it before you hit Nellis blvd! :)
I used to live down off Charleston and Nellis and I loved the area on that side of town. I used to ride my little Razz Riva up Charleston to where the road ended and parked there to admire the view of the valley. Not much room left in the valley for building. Less and less open desert and more and more of the concrete type.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check out these devices. Inexpensive, still reflective when the L.E.D. is off and claimed visibility up to 1 mile. I picked up both a marker band and a clip on marker made by Nite IZE at a local hardware store for $11 each. (http://www.niteize.com/category.php?category_id=26).

They license the technology from PolyBrite International (http://www.polybrite.com/index.htm). Check out the PolyBrite site for reflective/LED light vests and belts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts