Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a late night drive last night.

Half moon, no clouds, 70 degrees at mid nite.

Wow, very impressed with the capabilities of the Burg as a nite time tourer. I had a first generation BMW RS with an oversized halogen bulb. The twin lights on the scooter match that experience.

I look forward to the next night that I can't sleep

Blakers

·
Registered
511 Posts
I used to love to ride at night when I was younger, but today I worry too much about critters lurking in the under brush. :-(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to love to ride at night when I was younger, but today I worry too much about critters lurking in the under brush. :-(
I worry about that also, but I figure it is balanced off with there not being so many nut jobs on the street at that time

My biggest current beef is with any of the e-bike or e-scooter things, sneaking up on me. Driving on either side of the road or the sidewalk. Some in my town hooked up,to car batteries, giving them a range of close to 100 miles.

Some driven by kids who,don't know the rules,of the road, others by those who have forgotten them. Or, how about the guys who have lost their licences.

Night is looking better all the time

·
Administrator
18,739 Posts
<<<SNIP>>> Or, how about the guys who have lost their licences. Night is looking better all the time
Hey, back in 1972 I was pulled over while drunk. I was doing 15-20 MPH in a 25 MPH zone and weaving a bit. The cop took my front wheel off, put the 10 speed in the back seat and took me to meet with my Ma at the city jail. Momma tanned my hide for being drunk. The judge made me go to 6 months of AA meetings.

Anyway, in my commute during winter months I rely on the Burgmans good lighting but I also run SilverStar bulbs that have a wider spread on the sholulder and have converted my turnsignals to running lights. The amber LED bulbs (?) are bright and cast an amber glow on the shoulder of the road too. During the winter I leave the house at 6 am in the dark, get to work at 6:45 in the dark. I leave work at 3:30 PM as its getting dark and get home at 5 PM in solid darkness. I live 7 miles outside of town in the woods.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I work at a large church and one of my jobs is doing the night security check and lockup so I have to ride at night. My two biggest concerns are first animals and then drinks.

There are plenty of small to large animals that lurk near and across the roads I travel. I have had to stop and wait for antelope and deer several times when they go from the field to the orchard. I have seen many jackrabbits, foxes and a skunk or two as well.

The drunks usually come out of no where though. One night while coming home I see lights coming up fast behind me. I give him room to pass when I hear his engine revving. I look to my left to see a car sliding backwards! It veered of the road away from me and hit the only tree for hundreds of yards. I stop to make sure the driver is OK when he starts the engine back up and takes off, leaving a taillight and half a spoiler behind. I chased after him to get a license plate number but he was cooking and I was on a 50cc so I never did get it. However just up the road I passed a couple of cops and told them about it. They took off after him but I don't know if they caught him or not. At least God got him with several hundreds{maybe thousands} of dollars worth of damage.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Close to my house is a highway that has a sidewalk. The sidewalk is about 20-25 feet away from the road and is a public scenic walkway (we have them all over town). Last year we had a drunk hit a young man who was riding his moped (50cc) on the sidewalk after dark. The drunk drove off the highway, crossed the grassy median, hit the young man and then drove on dragging the young man and his moped with him, killing him. The family of the young man has the satisfaction of the state putting the drunk in prison for 20 years but it will not bring the young man back. I think of this every time I think of riding after dark - then I usually don't go. Way, way many too many drunks driving here.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Way, way many too many drunks driving here.

Doug from Kentucky
I am sure it is bad in every state. New Mexico has one of the worst records especially for repeat drunks. Heck 3 or 4 bad drunk accidents were by state congressmen. Luckily the area I am in isn't the worst area, it is far worse in the northern part of the state.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A friend of my dad's is a Delaware State Trooper and he once said that about a quarter of everyone on the road is intoxicated in some form or other, no matter what time of the day it is. My dad exclaimed that this couldn't possibly be true and the Trooper admitted that it wasn't, saying "It's actually more like a third, but I didn't think you'd believe that."

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think the Burgman 650 has the best headlight system of any bike I've ever owned ( including my 1000 Vstrom). It doesn't bother me at all to ride at night other than the dang ole bugs the headlights seem to attract while driving past irrigated fields!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
ChipDoc I feel just riding my scooter is intoxicating and so do a lot of people I ride with. So those figures just may be low. :D

·
Registered
709 Posts
There's only 3 things out at night...Drunks, Cops, and hungry animals that feed at night...Oh and the bugs are just terrible here!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's only 3 things out at night...Drunks, Cops, and hungry animals that feed at night...Oh and the bugs are just terrible here!
Add one more thing......ME

I live in a touristy area and I will never understand why people go on vacation and end up in a Walmart. I think I will take the night time (my own little dark side)

And bugs aren't a problem. Bike has great coverage and I wear a full helmet. Now I do have to wash the dead ones off of course

Blakers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts