Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been riding my 650 Exec Burgman for two years now, and two days ago I went to the "darkside". I can tell you this. First, make sure the person who installs your car tire knows what they are doing. I observed that to seat the bead you need to inflate and deflate the tire several times to allow the rubber to stretch. After about 4 or 5 times inflating to about 80 psi and then deflating the tire including about 30 minutes in the hot sun the final inflation reached about 106 to 108 psi before the bead set or "popped into place". I went with the Federal Formoza 165/60 R14. I can tell you I was lucky another guy in the repair shop knew what the other guy didn't and that was how to properly inflate the tire to set the bead. After successfully mounting the tire and balancing it, I paid the bill and took the bike out to get a feel. It's definitely a different feel and immediately noticeable but I agree with others that it is a smoother ride and cornering was not a problem. I ride my 650 daily so getting used to the new riding feel shouldn't take long. My advice if you decide to go to the darkside is take it easy the first few times out and get to know the feel of the bike with a car tire and most of all be safe out there. Enjoy the ride. I will update on my experience as time goes by. Next chance I get I will post some pics for those interested.

2011 Burgman 650 Exec.
Federal Formoza 165/60 R14 (rear) 44 PSI (subject to change) depending on riding comfort
Bridgestone 120/70 R15 (front) recommended PSI
Las Vegas, NV

Looking for other Vegas Burgie Riders :cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think the real problem with mounting a car tire on a Burgman is just what he said. Finding some one that knows what there doing. If I had a trike kit I definitely would go with a car tire.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Good going, Tony and thanks for the update.

Yes, it look my local shop to have it mounted. Then several times to air it up, deflate it, apply more lube, air it up again, deflate it again, repeat a few more times and finally as it was sitting out in the hot sun.............................pop! Yea!

And after all that the guy only charged me $15. I gave him $20 and he was good with that.

And best of all now that he has done it once he says that he has no problem doing it again. My Honda PC800 is going to be the next one to go dark I think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had the tires mounted at a bike shop. Those Guys Bike shop in Las Vegas, at St. Louis and Boulder Highway. Just in case some of you readers happen to live in Las Vegas. He charged me $70 for both tires but I couldn't find anyone else who would do it without offering good or bad advice which in this case I may have paid a bit much but the guy said if I wanted to do it he had no problem whatsoever with it. I shouldn't have to hear your opinion about how I spend my money if it's not on the lists of products or services you offer. Frankly to go to the darkside is my choice, not the guy changing the tire. I had tried another bike shop a few days earlier and the first said yeah but then put me on hold, came back and said no after finding out I wanted to take the wheels off the bike myself, mainly because I didn't trust leaving my bike with them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I took mine to the local Honda dealer they have done plenty of car tires, they changed me $20.00, for mount balance and new stem.

I would never go back to a cycle tire, for me there are to many good benefits in a CT, to ever go backwards to a motorcycle tire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts