Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends, I have a 06 Burgman 400 that I really like ... a LOT. I've put 5077 miles on this Burgman 400 since May 24, 2013.

Question? I've been looking at newer 400's. How much "real world" difference in overall performance between the 03-06 400's and the newer 07 and up 400's. Is it really worth the difference in price to move up? Just under 11k on this 400, so I'm not looking to move up immediately ... BUT winter is coming and prices may be dropping.
Also, there might be some deals to good to pass up between December - February in my part of the world????

4 main questions.....

Is the extra 15cc's that big a deal?
Does the extra weight help with highway riding?
Does that 14" front wheel make much difference in handling?
Any more leg room on the newer models?

Thanks - Sirkitrider

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
4 main questions.....

Is the extra 15cc's that big a deal?
Does the extra weight help with highway riding?
Does that 14" front wheel make much difference in handling?
Any more leg room on the newer models?

Thanks - Sirkitrider
Not really unless your over 250# or do a lot of 2-up riding but you do lose some MPG.

Not really unless you weigh under 125#. They have the same "wind" print.;)

Yes, Especially on pot holes and RR crossings.

Not really but the buttrest does go back just a tad more.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
My experience from comparing Robin's 08 to my 06 is that there is not much real difference. Performance wise the 06 will run right with the 08. I couldn't detect much difference in comfort between the two either. In my opinion the only reason to go to the later model is if you are starting to have problems with your 06 or if you just want a new bike.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Since you are lucky enough to live down South, the lack of fuel injection wont matter much either. I love FI in the cold climates. Sounds like you have a good bike, might as well hang on to it for a while.

Maybe head up to Cycle-Mo's for a scenic trip before the sub tropical temps leave your area.

:D

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Since you are lucky enough to live down South, the lack of fuel injection wont matter much either. I love FI in the cold climates. Sounds like you have a good bike, might as well hang on to it for a while.

Maybe head up to Cycle-Mo's for a scenic trip before the sub tropical temps leave your area.

:D
The 06 is fuel injected. All the Burgmans that have been sold in the USA from 03 forward are fuel injected.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The 06 is fuel injected. All the Burgmans that have been sold in the USA from 03 forward are fuel injected.
^Yup.

Also, the pre-'07 400s have a superior rear suspension with adjustable hydraulic dampening, as opposed to simple adjustment of spring preload; simpler throttle, emissions and engine control systems (no O2 sensor); and a cantilever mounted rear wheel that can be mounted and balanced by any auto tire shop.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm glad I ran across this. I was just having this disscussion with my dad, and now I think I'll just keep the 03 I have and run it until I can't. is there any difference with the 650's between model years? And does the abs on the 07+ really matter?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
And does the abs on the 07+ really matter?
A whole bunch of us drove cars and rode bikes for 30 to 40 years without ABS, and somehow managed to survive.

If you learn to drive/ride properly--mostly not follow too close, pay attention to road conditions, expect that "the other guy is an ässholé", and learn how to brake properly (with full consideration to road conditions)--you will never need ABS...

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I'm glad I ran across this. I was just having this disscussion with my dad, and now I think I'll just keep the 03 I have and run it until I can't. is there any difference with the 650's between model years? And does the abs on the 07+ really matter?
650 differences -yes. Have you looked at the BUSA "knowledgebase"?

I have found ABS to be useful. I have had a few braking situations where it seemed to help avoid an accident. However, you never really know if it avoided a crash or not. But if it is available on a bike, I will continue to buy bikes with it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Guys , thanks for all the really good replies. First, I love my 06 and have ZER0 issues with it. Secondly, I don't have any money burning a hole in my pocket. Just curious really. My perceptions are similar to you guys. I just wanted to get other's perspective.

I am a big guy ... I'm nearly riding 2 up all by myself.:) That said, I am really BIG TIME impressed with the Burgman 400. Wow! It just simply gets the job done. I bought it to muddle around on back roads, but am finding it will do so much more! Having done 200-400 mile days numerous times, there's not much to complain about. I might consider the 650 at some point. The 200 extra lbs concerns me though. The Mighty 400 is like the quarter horse .... not the biggest or fastest pony in the barn BUT a really sweet ride at gallop!

Sirkitrider

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
With just under 11k unless someone offers you a great deal of $ I'd ride it a little longer. Rode my 07 for 46k + before I moved on to my 09 650. I bought my Exc for the power windshield not the abs. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts