Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so new I don't even have my Burgman yet. I'm picking it up Tuesday afternoon. I started riding motorcycles in high school around 45 years ago. One of my retirement dreams was to buy a big V-Twin and ride. I had to retire early for health reasons but I did move to Arizona with my wife and dog. I bought a Kawasaki Nomad toward the end of 2002 and bought nearly every accessory available. Put flames on the tank and fender. Custom air box, loud pipes etc., etc. until it was just as I wanted it. Then I realized I just couldn't ride it. Too heavy. Health problem was leg related so I just couldn't ride. Couldn't use my legs on the controls. Big disappointment.

My wife has a Suzuki 800 and we like to ride together - not big trips - just Sunday drives and things like that. So I decided to trade in my Nomad for a 2005 Burgman 650.

I've never, in all my years of riding, even thought of owning a scooter. So it will be interesting to see how it goes.

So as of today I've never even been on a Burgman - or any scooter for that matter.

I've had 12 bikes including Honda, BSA, Yamaha etc. over the past 45 years.

I've heard good things about the Burgman and I've always preferred Japanese engineering to other options so I'm expecting the 650 will be fun to ride. I'll let you know.

Take care.

arizonafred

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Fred,

Welcome! I think Paul is right, you are in for a very pleasant surprise. The 650 is no lightweight (hence the nickname "lardy" that you'll see used in reference to it on this site) but it is so well balanced, that very little practice handling it will be required to handle & control w/o power. The CG is very low & you can lean her over pretty far before she gets hard to hold. Once you pass the point of no return though, just let her settle slowly, & pick her up (there are some great tips on this site concerning how to do that pretty easily) & pray nobody saw! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Hi Fred and welcome. Even tho it has an excellent cg it still is one big moto. A very convienient big moto. She'll carve the twisties with the best of them, gets unsettled a bit easily, and is not something that you'll usually see going the other way. I dig it.

She ain't heavy - she's my scooter. :wink:
Pete

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome, arizonafred!

I'm sure you're going to love your Burgie. I sure love my 400, and every ride gets better. Be sure to let us know your first thoughts and feelings after your first ride tomorrow.

Hee hee. What's your wife going to say when it turns out you can beat her 800 from the stoplight on your 650? :lol:

(After the break-in period, of course.)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums arizonafred. Glad to have you join us.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Fred and welcome to the forum. Well it's Saturday! Did you get the 650?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
????

Fred,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA!

Well? Did you get it? What do you think? Have you stopped riding long enough to check the forums? :D

We want to know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts