Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This appears to be a wonderful community of enthusiasts. I look forward to getting acquainted with you and the Burgman.
I am totally new to the forum and am intrigued by the Burgman. I rode long ago and want to revisit the experience. I feel now is the time to look into a bike and ease into the season come Spring in Columbus, Ohio.
I am thinking the 400 is best for me (5'9", 180 lbs, 63 y/o, not a recently experienced rider but physically active and mentally alert). The bike would be a daily rider for my work commute (10-12 mi) plus errand, jaunts and occasional back-country cruise. I believe my wife would support the interest and may even try her hand at the handle bars (stranger things have happened).
I also have an MG & Austin Healey and a Mini Cooper S to scratch my "itch".
Any suggestions, advice, cautions or dissuasions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your thoughts.:)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yeah, let me know if the Healey does not scratch your itch any more as I have always wanted one. I used to have a 1960 TR4.
well, back to your question. I think the 400 would work great for you as a first bike coming back into this hobby. It's light, fast, economical and dependable.
I would suggest looking around for some used ones instead of buying new from dealership as the cost would/could be much less.
Keep us posted and best of luck.
Steve/Dallas

·
Registered
110 Posts
welcome to the forum, the 400 is easier to move around and is a little bit easier to handle. the price on the 400 is easier on the wallet, there is an 06 sport model with less than 12,000 miles garage kept on craigslist in Lou. KY for $2,400. Don't know the guy but it looks nice, just an example to get you started. Safe scootin Jay

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello all. This appears to be a wonderful community of enthusiasts. I look forward to getting acquainted with you and the Burgman.
I am totally new to the forum and am intrigued by the Burgman. I rode long ago and want to revisit the experience. I feel now is the time to look into a bike and ease into the season come Spring in Columbus, Ohio.
I am thinking the 400 is best for me (5'9", 180 lbs, 63 y/o, not a recently experienced rider but physically active and mentally alert). The bike would be a daily rider for my work commute (10-12 mi) plus errand, jaunts and occasional back-country cruise. I believe my wife would support the interest and may even try her hand at the handle bars (stranger things have happened).
I also have an MG & Austin Healey and a Mini Cooper S to scratch my "itch".
Any suggestions, advice, cautions or dissuasions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your thoughts.:)
You may want to start by visiting Iron Pony in Westerville, if you have not......not only do they have scooters, but they stock a huge array of gear that you will need before riding. I live about 125 miles east of there and visit regularly.....sometimes on my 2013 650 Burgman, sometimes on my PC800......
Good luck from all of us here at the Pia Zadora Memorial Golden Buckeye Retirement Home and Assisted Living Center in lovely-but-cool eastern Ohio....

TW

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The bike would be a daily rider for my work commute (10-12 mi) plus errand, jaunts and occasional back-country cruise. I believe my wife...may even try her hand at the handle bars (stranger things have happened).
Don't be surprised when the errands turn into back-country cruises (You'll find more than a few Burgman riders have done 50 mile trips for bread!) and the back-country cruises into 500 mile round trip weekenders! My wife started riding pillion and it wasn't long before she was on her own 400. We've enjoyed some fun 1700+ mile touring vacations together. The 400 is very capable. Hope y'all do, too:love3:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I live in Boston but have family in U Arlington so we stay over in Hilliard..Right down the street from our hotel was a Suzuki dealer.. I would wander down there and lookat his Burgmans as I was yearning for mine at home..

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The 400 is the perfect bike to get back into the sport. Relatively light, lots of fun in the twisties, decent gas milage, runs highway just fine, great for errands and commuting, biggest trunk in scooterdom, comfortable, good elements protection, easy on the back and wallet... What's not to love? I call it the "Swiss Army Bike". Does everything very well.

Buy used, 08 or later. Try to get under 10k miles on the clock. Should run you $3-4k. Don't get the warrantee, waste of money.

Oh, and welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your reply to my post. Part of my desire to get back to riding is that my daughter, son-in-law and new granddaughter are in Hermosa Beach. What a great motorcycle culture! S-I-L has a BMW sport bike that I want to ride but feel quite intimidated. The Burg would be a great way for me to get back into the fit and feel to build my confidence. I'd love to be able to scoot around the Southbay. I appreciate the warm welcome for this community!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Burgman would also serve as a perfect first bike to hand over to the wife, should you decide to get the BMW in the future... ;)

However, don't be surprised if YOU find it so fun to drive that you find yourself hopping on the Burgman as often as the sport bike, should you end up with both.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The Burgman would also serve as a perfect first bike to hand over to the wife, should you decide to get the BMW in the future... ;)

However, don't be surprised if YOU find it so fun to drive that you find yourself hopping on the Burgman as often as the sport bike, should you end up with both.
I sold both of My BMWs after I bought a Burgman. I found I always got on the Burgman and the BMWs just sat.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You'll discover that, though the Burgman is small and easy to handle, that it's every inch a "real" motorcycle which you can ride from VA to CA without any trouble. It's a blast and you may very well lose your yen for the BMW.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You'll discover that, though the Burgman is small and easy to handle, that it's every inch a "real" motorcycle which you can ride from VA to CA without any trouble. It's a blast and you may very well lose your yen for the BMW.
I find your post inspiring, since I will be making the switch from my beloved Gold Wing to a new Burgman 650 very soon. I started my love affair on two wheels in 1956 on a 1952 Allstate. Going back to scooters will be like a second childhood for me.:lovestory:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I find your post inspiring, since I will be making the switch from my beloved Gold Wing to a new Burgman 650 very soon. I started my love affair on two wheels in 1956 on a 1952 Allstate. Going back to scooters will be like a second childhood for me.:lovestory:
I had a Burgman 400 when I had my GL1800 - Goldwing sat in the garage like an orphan unless I was going on a really LONG ride.
Same thing happened w/ my ST1300 when I got my Burgman 650.
The Burgman, be it a 400 or 650, are so much fun to ride and convenient for hopping on to do errands that the motorcycles ended up being neglected.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I had a Burgman 400 when I had my GL1800 - Goldwing sat in the garage like an orphan unless I was going on a really LONG ride.
Same thing happened w/ my ST1300 when I got my Burgman 650.
The Burgman, be it a 400 or 650, are so much fun to ride and convenient for hopping on to do errands that the motorcycles ended up being neglected.
Ditto. Once I got my first scooter, the ST1100 sat for a year before I sold it. Moved up to the Burgmans and they are icing on the cake.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Welcome to the forum Budsboy :hello1:
I agree with the others regarding the ease and enjoyment of riding a Burgman.
Owning a 400 or 650 will depend on your riding preferences single or 2-up.
The 650 offers a more comfortable ride for two w/ plenty of acceleration.
The 400 is more agile in city traffic and handles freeways w/ single riders.
Wind buffeting is less noticeable on the 650 on the freeways as well.
Best suggestion is to sit on both models at a dealer to get a better feel for them
Most dealers will NOT permit a test ride, but it is worth asking ;)
You can certainly stop by and see my 400 as I live 10 miles from Worthington
I've owned both the 650 & 400 models & prefer the 400. I'm 61 and around your height and weight. Let me know if you wish to stop by and take a look.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA and the scooter community, & the enjoyment of ownership and riding. I have owned and ridden motorcycles most of my adult life, from huge tour bikes down to trail bikes. I enjoy the Burgman 400 scooter for all the same reasons. I am going to be 65 in a few weeks and find I ride the scooter to go get that loaf of bread 50 miles out of town. The storage is large enough for a couple of pizzas and a 12 pack of (soda) or a small load of lumber...

Performing maintenance on this scooter really depends on your desire to learn and your "Yankee know how". It is not overly complicated and for me is all a part of the experience. The engine is designed to go the distance and it is not uncommon to see one with mileage approaching the 100k mark and still going strong.

The Suzuki Burgman is to scooters what every luxury motorcycle is to touring. It is well appointed, easy to handle, predictable, powerful, (35 horsepower) and quite fast. Install a tail case and head down the road for a few days or few weeks.

Oh, one more thing, be prepared for that strange look people will give you when you fly by them on the highway leaving them in the dust.. As in "What the heck was that look"...

The BurgmanUSA forum has a collective knowledge base you will not find anywhere else. Burgman owners regularly I offer solutions to issues based on similar experiences but also refer you to the many "How to" videos.

So, welcome aboard: now go out and get that Burgman.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts