Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wink: Hi all, I've been scooting and loving it for the past 1 1/2 years on my derestricted Vino 50 w/Stage One upgrades (50+mph). I am looking for a bigger scooter and have some questions. I am only 5' tall therefore lots of scooter are too tall for me. The Honda Reflex and the Burgman 400 have low enough seats. Are any of you out there short, especially women?
I'm wondering if the Burgman 400 will be easy to handle for a small person. I am pretty strong for my size. I plan to do some 2 up riding with my husband but usually will ride alone. I have never done interstate driving and wonder about the safety factor. Any advice will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Beth,
My wife is 5'2" and handles the 650 just fine (though she looks like a little kid on it from behind :D ). Take off 2" off seat height on the 400, and nearly anyone can flat foot it (even flat feet it!).
Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Even with out being strong the 400 is no problem to handle. The 400 is very road worthy I have no problem doing 70 mph (indicated 75) for a tank full, fill up and do it again.
But around town and secondary roads is were it really shines. :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Beth,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA! I think you'd do fine on a Burgman 400. We do have some shorter gals riding them & I'm sure they'll respond to your inquiry. The only recent complaint I remember is that the stock windshield was too tall. I believe that was from Diane who goes by "Bikinbiddy" on the forum. She is working on reducing the windshield height by 3" so that she can see over it. A while ago someone else was also concerned with getting both her feet flat on the ground. Riding boots with higher soles was an option she was looking into.

I have the opposite challenge, being 6'6". Even on the 650, I needed more wind protection and legroom. I've pretty much got those issues resolved. Basically, for folks who are either too short or too tall for their scooter, we've been able to find good ergonomic solutions.

A lot of our 400 riders, both guys and gals, do use them on the interstate highways. Many have taken the MSF rider's course, and we recommend that if you haven't done it yet.

Feel free to browse around, there is a lot of info available here.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome, Beth! I'm 5'1" and have a much-loved 400. I can just about flat-foot it (depends on road grading), certainly enough to feel comfortable. As you may know, the driver backrest has three, 1" incremental positions: I have mine in the middle position, which is fine. But you can play around with it to see which affords you the most comfortable position.

I've not yet tried a 650, but there are a number of women here who ride those.

The 400 easily does highway miles. It does get a little buffetted by rigs, but I'm told a lot of bikes do, and it's not unmanageable. I had our Burgie doing 75 easily this past weekend. I certainly felt comfortable on it at that speed.

If you have any other "short woman" questions, feel free to aim them here! :D

Cheers,

Bryna aka The Short Woman (as opposed to my partner, The Tall Woman)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi Beth, I have owned a Reflex and my advice is do not buy one, and here's why:

They are the same price as the 400.

They have much less power than the 400.

They are very unstable on the freeway.

The Reflex battery life is shorter than a gnats (battery powered gnats?).

Front brake noise is very common and annoying.

Really, I could go on and on.

My wife would not ride the Reflex on the freeway, but does not hesitate to take the 400 on it. I would occasionally ride the Reflex on the freeway, but knew that it was not safe, and I have ridden motorcycles for 30 years. The Reflex must be ridden wide open throttle just to keep up with traffic in the slow lane here in CA, and that is a position you should not put yourself into.

Peace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi!

I'm 5'6" and have no problem riding the 650. I'll admit it took a little bit to get used to the weight of the 650, but I am now putting it on its center stand with little effort.

I would say that for the first week, the weight was an issue for me...but its been three weeks and I'm very used to it.

I like the power and the ability to hustle when I have to. I ride it on 5 miles of four-lane highway and 15 miles of two-lane twisty curvy road...and I enjoy every mile!

Hope you make the decision that will work best for you!

:lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
newbie questions

:p Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my questions. After several months of research and running around to dealers, I have decided to go with a Burgman 400. I may not be able to buy one until next spring but I will definitely get one. I sat on one today and LOVED it. I feel confident that I will have no trouble handling it's size and weight. I sent in my registration for the MSF course here in NH and have heard nothing but positive things about the training. I also look forward to this forum and the encouragement and advice of other Burgman enthusiasts :wink:

·
Registered
194 Posts
burgman 400 in NH

Hi Beth,

Welcome to the forum, Let me know when you do get your burgman and we can meet up for a lake ride .......Diana

1 - 9 of 9 Posts