Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Burg 400 yesterday. I've never driven a bike in my life... but picked it up quite quickly today. Drove my route to work and back and the bike handled great. Oddly enough, I can't wait to commute to work every morning now!

Few questions for a newbie... sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I didn't see it:

1) I know it's always in drive... so is it okay to move the bike backwards when it's running? Will this mess up the tranny or something?

2) Does the bike have to be on the stand when you start it as the manual states? Or is this more a legal disclaimer for them.

3) My bike kept stalling every now and then as I drove it around today for the first time. Is this normal for a new engine? Also, some odd smells... which I assume are from the engine breaking in?

4) Are there any tricks to keeping this thing below 4K RPMs? I found it hard to do so when travelling at 35-40 MPH. It seemed to go a bit past 4k a few times. Is this okay?

5) I found a small disconnected hose feeding out the bottom of the bike. What does this do, drain something? It's not supposed to be connected to anything is it?

Sorry for all the questions,
CINCNORAD

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! I'm still in the break-in period on mine too, and enjoying it!:

1) I move mine backwards all the time. The tranny disengages when the engine is idling.

2) I never have started mine on the stand...you must be talking about the center stand right? The side stand has an ignition interlock.

3) Stalling doesn't sound normal...mine hasn't stalled at all. Are you in a cold climate???

4) It's nearly impossible to keep it below 4k rpm during break-in. I've allowed myself up to 5k, but if you do any highway riding, you'll be hitting 6k+. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you don't overdo it...

5) That hose should be a coolant overflow hose...

Now a question for you...have you taken a motorcycle safety course??? If not, then I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info bymenow00.

buymenow00 said:
3) Stalling doesn't sound normal...mine hasn't stalled at all. Are you in a cold climate???
No... it's pretty warm here. However, the bike was low on gas straight from the dealer, and I did sit around idling quite a bit. Hopefully that's part of it. I'll see how it performs today now that it's got a full tank.

buymenow00 said:
Now a question for you...have you taken a motorcycle safety course??? If not, then I highly recommend it.
Yes, got all the info and signing up for the next one. :)

As far as driving this thing to work... It's 2.5 miles from my home, and involves taking one back road with a speed limit of 30. I feel pretty comfortable riding the Burg this route. However, until I take the safety course I don't plan to push it too fast or take any long trips on major streets. Just trying to get familiar with the beast for now...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts