Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rather new here& am looking hard for the right 650. I have spotted two, a 06 EXC with just over 6000 mi and a 09 EXC with just over 9,000. My question is: does it make sense to spend a extra $1,000 for the 09? only about 50 miles apart at separate dealerships. neither machine have any noticeable added farkeles. I have not looked at either one at this point , but plan to very soon.. All thoughts would be appreciated. from research I have done the major differancs between the 06 - 09 are the harder brake bolt and different position of ethe rear brake pads. am I missing anything major? This will be my first scooter and I am trying o make the best decision for my Dollars.

Thanks,
Twink

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
I would say it's a toss up. There were a few technical changes between the 06 and 09 models that would be beneficial but I'm not sure they are worth $1,000.

In addition to the stopper bolt change and rear brake location change a couple of more significant changes were made. The throttle bodies were changed in 07 and an O2 sensor was added to the exhaust to give the ECM better control over the fuel mixture. The center stand was strengthened to resolve some breakage issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
So the 09 is a better idea to save headaches and frustration? These could add up to the difference in price rather quickly?

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
Again it's a toss up. You can replace the stopper bolt with the stronger one for less than $10. You may never have an issue with the center stand and if you do a new one is less than $200. The rear caliper location change is to make it easier to remove the wheel rather than to solve any kind of reliability issue. The throttle body change is more to do with emissions than to solve any kind of reliability issue and the old one works just fine from a user standpoint.

·
Registered
74 Posts
2006 or 2009

Give them both a careful once over, check the service records and general condition, ride each one.....then buy the one you "like" better or that has the better dealer service department.

TW

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
I agree kind of a toss up. Look at the tires neither should need a front but how about the rear? Asking price might not be the selling price. Check both out and pick which you like best. All things being equal you maybe able to leverage each dealer against the other. ;)

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
I have a 09 and my friend has a 05 (which I think is the same as the 06). They seem to run about the same and our fuel mileage is the same. The only difference is the 05 seems to have more gear noise than the 09 (the 05 has 9,000 miles and my 09 has 13,000. Both have synthetic lubricants). We just picked up the harder stopper bolt for his and it was $6.99 and takes about 5 minutes to install if you count getting the tools out.

Since you are looking at dealers, make sure you are getting an out the door price. I found one I wanted and intended to buy it until the dealer insisted on tacking on documentation fees. I didn't buy it and found a great buy on a more farkled out and nicer 650 for sale here on the forum. Since I bought it directly from the owner, I was able to see how he kept and maintained everything he owned so I knew I was getting a pampered bike and not one that was just cleaned up to look nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input so far. You have given me a good bit to think about. I will definatly give both of them a look I tend to pput a lot of miles on depending on how well I like a machine. over 100,000 on a Gl 1800 and 40k on the bike I replace it with21 months ago. also have two others that have accumulated about 30 K on during the same time frame.

Maybe I will check things out tomorrow and see how the water is. I find the gear nois coment on the o5 compared to the 09 interesting. I also will need to do some research on the two service departments plus talk to a couple of independent mechanics. The 09 interests me from the standpoint of ease of wheel removal & accessability is a good point as I will assume that I will be doing a good bit of that unless I decide to give the Dark side a whirl, I ran that way on the GL 1800 and was very happy with it.

Hopefuly there wil be some others chime in with their oppinions; you guys with the experience on these are the ones I am wanting to hear from and especially before I spend money.

Thanks for your input,

Twink

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went looking yesterday, the 06 is very clean and has very good rubber on it, no farkles, I sat and looked at it nd at a new 13, I thinkI prefer the looks of the 06 better. Then went and looked at the 09 at another dealership, Not a Suzuki. I really like that black paint with the blue flakes in it, May I assume that is stock? I did take it for a test ride of about 30 miles, in town and on open two lane and four lane roads. I will describe that as interesting , although I didn't really notice the supper quick accellaration some people have mentioned. I was not trying to put it through it's paces , I was being carefull! I must say it is interesting and I think it will grow on me as I accumulate miles and experience. the 09 needs tires pretty badly, rear is worn almost slick with no grip tread on it, the front is practiclyyinto wear bars. Judging from this I will assume tha it needs a full service etc. by the time I returned to my home and thought about it and did some parts research & called back the sales person I had talked to was gone home so I will have to wait until Tuesday to talk with him. I will probably tender a offer taking intoconsideration of what this scooter needs to be ready to depart on a cross state , or longer ride. If they want to deal appropriately tha will b thebike,if not I willgo back and test ride the 06 alsoi am aware of a 07 standard here owned by a aquaintence, nut without the ABS & and other accessories of the Excecutive I am not interested.

Thanks for any more thoughts,
Twink

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
Since the front tire on the 09 us worn out in 9,000 miles indicates to me that it has probably been ridden a lot on crooked roads. Most of the miles on my friend's 05 has been on crooked mountain roads. The rear tire was worn out at 5,900 miles and the front needs replacement at 9,000 miles. My 09 had a little over 11,000 miles on it when I got it from an owner who lived and rode on flat straight roads. My OEM front tire was about 1/2 worn out the OEM rear still had a couple of thousand left on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts