Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Y'all,
I just picked up a 07 -400 from a widow down in Fla. Thur, ( no owners manual,.. 1 key) and brought it home to SC. No experience outside of borrowing a Honda 500 nearly 30 years ago for several months.

My question is about the oil . I was reading some threads and videos about oil changes , and I'm pretty sure I have too much oil in this one , since the window is completely covered, .. well above the full line while it's on the kickstand.

The nice lady I bought it from said it had just been serviced. Her brother , who owns a farm equipment bus, down there , where the bike was , probably did the oil change, ...just a guess ?

Is having too much oil a really bad thing.

I am having a little delay with getting a tag , so haven't had a chance to ride it ( over two miles )

....glad to know I'm not supposed to baby the thing on take off . Just learned that tonight ,.

Thanks in advance ,
Mark

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
When you say kickstand are you referring to the center stand or the side stand. You should be checking the oil level with it on the center stand.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yes, having it on the side stand will give you a false reading. Make sure it is on the center stand. Don't drain any oil until you've check it this way.

The 400 only uses a little more than a quart of oil. You definitely don't want it to be deficient.

Congratulations and welcome to BUSA!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Also, particular to the 07 model, the first year of the new version, Suzuki worked out several issues. So when you need to replace the clutch and the muffler gasket (like for a rear tire change) make sure you get the 08+ part.

The clutch went from a three shoe to a five shoe design and the muffler gasket got a bit longer.

Enjoy! I love my 07.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys ,

Buffalo , yes, ...I was referring to the side stand. Through the little window , it looks clean, but leaning over like it is , the window is completely full. That;s why I suspect it may have too much . Will get it on the center stand tomorrow.

Liamjs, ... this bike has 1600 miles on it, so I'm hoping it'll be a while for the clutch replacement.

This website was one of the reasons I started looking at the burgmans, plus I'm kind of tall, so was hoping it would be a better fit,.

may have to look into modifying the seat at some point , but it's primarily for a 20 mile round trip work commute , initially.

And for trips over to savannah , which are about 50 miles.

thanks again

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If the glass is full with the bike on kickstand you don't want to start it up. Way too much oil

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi topspin, Welcome to the site.

Be very careful how you check the oil on the 2007+ 400's. Many people don't seem to know how to check it properly. The owners manual (not the workshop manual) is the only proper listed way to do it. It must be on it's wheels on level ground, being held upright for a proper check to be carried out. But before you do that part of it the engine must be run for approx 3 minutes with the bike on the CENTRE STAND. Then turn off the engine and allow the bike to stand for another 3 minutes with the bike on the centre stand before putting the bike on it's wheels, hold it upright and check the sight glass to see where the level is. If you have not done this before it may seem challenging but once you have the technique, it's easy. Get someone to help the first time you do it. NO current Suzuki motorcycle has it's oil checked on the centre stand. Many bikes don't even have a centre stand. It must be on it's wheels to be done properly.

Warning: as Liam says, these bikes don't hold much oil. If you don't check the oil correctly you may not have enough oil in the engine. Or conversely, too much oil which can be just as damaging. I service several 400's on a regular basis and the lack of proper oil checking by owners that I find is of major concern. Some bikes come in with no oil showing in the glass sight window because owners don't check it properly. They do it on the centre stand. This can lead to shortened engine life and sometimes damage. Suzuki must share some blame for this as the factory workshop manual gives an incorrect method, and one used after an engine rebuild scenario. It's not describing an owners normal oil check. An owners manual is essential in my opinion for detailing the correct oil check method and many other things. Incidentally, all Suzuki techs check the oil with the bike on it's wheels for the final check. Suzuki GB confirmed this is the correct technique and NOT to follow the Suzuki workshop manual method.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well that's some great information to know, ...thank you both.

Under these circumstances, since I just picked it up Thursday in my utility trailer, and have only ridden it for two miles , ( under 35 mph, ) just to see what the leg room situation was, do y'all think I should go ahead and; .. < not only get the proper amount in there, as Quantum has described so well > > .... but possibly drain it and put in new , ....for my peace of mind.

The closest Suzuki dealership is probably a 120 miles from me , so it's never going to be a convenient option , as the closer motorcycle dealerships, and custom shops are about 50 miles. Hopefully I can find a good mechanic in the next town , which is only 15 miles, but will try my best to do what I can here

I'd mentioned before, about the delay in getting a tag ((((...because the name on the title is her late husbands, and SC requires probate document attatched , for title transfer & tax purposes, prior to DMV moving on the tags , .....this all according to the county tax lady Fri.
( then spoke to the nice lady seller, and she said she'll mail a copy of probate, Monday )

DMV was closed for holiday Fri, ,,,a rather obscure southern holiday I never knew anyone got off work for. Sounds like a lucky break for me , actually !?!

I'll get to check with them Mon about getting a learners permit , and will get someone to help me with the bike , to check the window properly before I ride it again , in any case.

Thanks again to everyone for your help,

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
To help keep the clutch from glazing, take off from a stop with a lot of throttle until the clutch locks up and then ease up. Taking off slowly slips the clutch and overheats it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
How does a single person check the oil while the scoot is balanced only on the wheels? I don't have anyone to hold the bike for me to do it and it would seem awfully dangerous to hold the bike by yourself while leaning down to check the oil level? How do you guys do it?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It's actually quite easy once you know the technique. The technique I use is listed below.

Ok, so the bike is on level ground. You have run the engine and allowed it to stand for the correct amount of time. You now want to check the oil level. Before you take it off the centre stand put the sidestand down. This acts as a safety device to prevent the bike from going down away from you should you lose balance. That's not likely however as it's easy to balance the bike for most people. The centre of gravity is very low.

Next, take the the bike off the centre stand. PUT THE HANDBRAKE TO THE ON POSITION to prevent the bike moving. Holding the bike upright, step through the bike to the right hand side. Move towards the rear of the bike and face towards the front of your machine.

Next, crouch down facing the front of the bike with your left knee braced gently against the passenger floor board. This prevents the bike toppling towards you. I also hold the seat with my left hand at this point. I'm now kneeling with my right knee down on a sponge pad. I then simply crouch down a bit more and take a closer look at the sight glass. Move the bike gently towards you and away from you until you find the bikes balance point to make sure it's upright. This is important as if it's not properly upright, you get a false reading that can be off by quite a bit. Note the level of the oil. It takes me just 30 seconds to do after all the engine running and standing time.

I show owners how to do it and they are amazed at how easy it is and also at the sometimes big difference there is in the level of the oil when it's done properly compared to the check that some do on the centre stand.

NOTE: some folk who check it on the centre stand don't notice too much difference between the two checking methods. I conclude this is due to two factors.

1. the suspension setting on their machine is set quite low (soft) causing the sump to be held nearer the 'standing on wheels' position. If the suspension is set to a very high or intermediate setting, the difference is quite apparent between the two methods of checking the oil (checking on CS or proper on it's wheels method).

2. the owner has not gotten close enough to the sight glass to gain a good look at the oil level. It is important to judge the level by getting as close to the sight glass as possible to gain a proper 'level' look rather than looking down at it which can give a very different reading leading you to believe the level is ok when in fact it's a bit low.

Anyhoo, it's easy to check it on it's wheels when you've had a couple of goes. You don't have to do it the way I do it, you can fettle your own technique of course. If anyone has poor mobility and is not too good at crouching down then it is a case of getting help with this aspect. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate with the oil level but using the centre stand to do the check can result in the level being down at the minimum oil level depending where the suspension is set, even though on the centre stand it looks full. That does matter, especially if you are about to start a big journey and you think the oil level is at the 'full' mark.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I let the kickstand out and put the bike on parking brake. Holding it back to the passenger hand rest and the right handle bar i can sit down to one knee and bend enough to see the window.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Personally, I would just change the oil and filter. By the time you've done all his checking you could have replaced it and done it to your satisfaction. I think it makes sense on any purchase to change the fluids and reset the counters/ mileage or yourself just my opinion

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quantum.,.....Thanks for the detailed description of balancing the bike, and checking

Gbjbany, .... I agree,

.. if anyone can give me a link to a reasonable supplier for the filter , it would be great, I'm on the southern coast of SC ....and I assume, ... purchase the oil locally , , or not ? ...I can go to some links and find out what viscosity the co wants us to use.

While I'm asking for links , I desperately need a reasonable source for an owners manual for this thing also , .

Last night I learned about the tire pressure ( and the keys ) here on the forum, ,......I need to get my hands on a gauge to fit that restricted space. Is that something I can get locally ?

Where can I get a Suzuki blank for a second, and third key. Actually , I plan to lock the one and only key I have away , until I need it for a long trip one day.
It's unfortunate I don't have the second factory key , but will have to make due , not shutting the little door covering the ignition most of the time.

Another question , since this is a2007 - 400 , do people here refer to different models of that bike in that year, or was every Burgman 400 made in 2007 exactly the same ? ....because I see references I'm not sure what they mean ,,,, does K7 , mean 07

I'm basically so new , and without a bit of info on the bike.

Thanks again for the clarification, techniques, and help

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Personally, I would just change the oil and filter. By the time you've done all his checking you could have replaced it and done it to your satisfaction. I think it makes sense on any purchase to change the fluids and reset the counters/ mileage or yourself just my opinion
Yes, but you still have to check the oil afterwards. You cannot rely on just replacing the oil with the same amount that came out (as the amount may be wrong) or going by Suzuki figures from the book. How much oil comes out at a change is dependent on where the suspension is set. So Suzuki only quotes approximate figures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the links ErikDK,

Really like those video's , ... the production is great, and once I read he is deaf, it makes sense he is able to *speak* with his hands so well. Big fan of that series.
I do wish someone in production could enlarge the subtext on a few of his videos,... a little , as sometimes it's too small , or blurry , for me to read.

I desperately need a reasonable source for an owners manual for this thing , .
that way I don't have to bother with all the inane questions as they pop up in my mind , .

..like, what viscosity oil do I need ,? where to get a filter,? where to get a proper shaped air gauge,? whether my bike is a AN400, or AN400A ,? as apparently there must be both since those are my options when I get to websites that sell *stuff* like that for these Burgmans. What's the difference between the two ? ...and on and on and *pippin* on,...it goes

I did go to Wal mart the other day and got a nice fitting cover for it , so there is that ! It's dry.
I'll get my title , and see what it says about the dang thing,
( later)

the title list it as a :......AN400K7
Vehicle ID no. ......JS1CK44A472102038

This ^ , one key, and no motorcycle license yet, is what I'm working with

On my way to the DMV to continue my journey to legally ride a scooter, and not destroy it, because it probably has twice the oil it needs , which , y'all say, is a terrible thing. Since I have no manual ,and until I get a few questions answered, ...apparently, it's going to take more patience , ....

This is turning out to be a little more challenging than I'd have imagined, ...but I generally tend to a optimist,. No wonder , eh ?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Provided you are on level ground, I've personally have not noticed too much of a difference between oil level readings with the bike on the center stand, or checking with both tires on the ground (as the manual clearly states). My special technique to level the bike was, with bike on center stand, slipping a wedge (I used an old paperback book) under the front tire until the rear tire touched ground. I now check on the center stand and target the visible fill to about 2/3 between the lines.

My tip is to run the bike on the center stand, then turn it off while looking at the oil window. You can then see the window actually fill up as the oil settles - very handy if the ambient light and/or reflection off the window is hinky.

My 08 manual says 1300 ml (1.4 quarts) is required when installing a new filter. Otherwise 1200 ml (1.3 quarts) without a filter change. You can buy motorcycle oil almost anywhere (moto shops, auto supply, Walmart). You're in a temperate climate so any 'normal range' viscosity is fine - Suzuki recommends 10W-40.

For genuine OEM parts, try e-tailer's like Oneida Suzuki or Ron Ayers. Look at the online fiche for additional parts, like the o-ring and spring for the filter cover (Suzuki recommends a new o-ring with each filter change).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts