Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to tell you that I am vertically challenged but horizontally accomplished. I ride a 650 with platform boots and still just touch with the balls of my feet. And I have only been riding for about 5 months. I have dropped my scooter 3 times...due to the height thing; after I got used to stopping only in the low groove of the road, only parking uphill, and no slow sharp turns on uphills I was fine! My biggest complaint...a numb right hand after 15 minutes.

So hubby (BMWR1100T) and I want to do a roundtrip from Nashville to Cleveland OH. At first I am going to ride with him; at the last moment my daughter (650VStar) says "you can do it"! SHE was right!!!

It was awesome!! But I was worried about my hand. Morning that we left I bought 2 of the "Cat" 'o' rings...the 5H-7153 and the 8M-4991.
The 8M was too tight. I really had to work the throttle. The 5H was great. Just enough friction that I could maintain my speed within 1-2 mph with minimum contact to the throttle. It did the trick. I like it sooo much that I will leave it on all the time now. IT just makes the throttle less sensitive and jumpy.

Our trip was great. The burg did awesome..no problem with speed or trucks or in the rain. We did mostly interstate driving and the burg held its own on the road...even schooled some other bikes. We did dress like safety nerds but I'm all about being seen out on the road.

Just had to share a newbie experience. I'm already planning the Nashville/New Orleans trip!

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Glad you had a great trip, we plan on going around the northern 1/2 of Lake Michigan (using the ferry to get across) in about 3 weeks. Last year we went around the State of WI. (1,200 miler also, with some rain). What really helped my right hand was a "Throttle Rocker". Cost about $10, and allows for finer throttle adjustments, using the heal of your hand. I,m glad the "O" ring worked out.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Congratulations on overcoming the challenges!

I've tried various gimmicks to rest the right hand on long trips. It sounds as though the O-ring works for you. I tried it on my 650 and discovered that the bar-end weight moved around too much for it to be useful. I installed a Vista Cruise throttle lock when I replaced the grips and I find it is the cat's pyjamas! If you change out the grips, losing the bar-end weight, you might consider it.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
What's an o ring?

Peggy, I'm very new at this - just got my Burgman 400 2 days ago! I also have carpal tunnel syndrome and haven't had success with a Throttle Rocker. Would you please send me info about the O ring you mentioned.
Thanks.
Patti

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Patti,
If you have any hand problems, that 7/8" handlebar with a skinny hard rubber grip (just like a motocross bicycle) and tight return spring are going to be an ongoing problem.

You really should find somebody with aftermarket grips to try so you can get an idea of what a grip should feel like. There are many styles and prices ranging from around $25 to over $100, but any of the full-size grips with rubber or foam inserts will serve your carpal tunnel infinitely better than the stock grips. That is regardless of the use of an O-ring or throttle boss, or throttle lock.

Two of the things that a bigger grip does are to: A) reduce the effective "pull" of the throttle return spring so that it requires less force to roll the throttle or to hold it in any position; 2) reduce the amount of throttle change for a given hand movement - it is easier to make small throttle adjustments!

The important thing is to enjoy the ride!

imnsho :lol:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Peggy,

Congratulations on stepping up to the challenge. I'm glad you are not letting details stand in the way of advenures you will cherish over the years. Next stop...New Orleans.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Patti, I had the same problem with carpal tunnel a few years ago... Do yourself a favor.... have it taken care of... A world of difference...
Bill...

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
First, Peggy, allow me say YOU GO, GIRL! Warm congrats on your accomplishment. I'll bet you've bonded with that 650 now!

I hope to do something of similar magnitude in less than 3 weeks. To address the numb hand thing, I tried a Cramp Buster. I've been testing it riding to & from work for about a week, and I love it. Huge comfort difference. (For anyone caring to try it, the regular size fits both the 400 and 650 grip.)

Patti, just my 2 cents, I'm not sure the Cramp Buster would be a good choice for you, because you relieve your finger pressure by leaning on the gizmo with your lower hand/upper wrist. As a recovered carpal tunnel sufferer, I can't picture it being a good choice for you in the long run. Of course, at $11, it's a small investment for you to try it.

Best wishes to you both,
Christine

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I have always thought that holding on to my stock skinny, hard grips was a pain in the butt. First I bought not one, but two rubber "Throttle Boss" twist assists, and then I still wasn't happy with the skimpy circumference of the 7/8th inch grab. So rather than go through the grip removal and replacement routine I bought a pair of ~14 dollar wrap around foam wraps that made the general circumference about an inch or so. (Any dealer has them.) Total spent prolly equals or exceeds the cost of bigger replacement grips, but on the other hand I did'nt have to lift a finger :roll: to get my grips nice and fat with the ability to use my right-backside palm for temporary "cruise control" along with a "finger groove air-out" respose. The Cat O ring "throttle lock" works good for times that I know that I am not going to be dealing with traffic (or much of it.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts