Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2004 Black 650 Boogerman[ as my Harley buddy likes to call it, although he's thinking of getting one] and wanted to check in with everyone and invite those cruising southern Ct. to get in touch if they're passing through. There is some nice back road cruising around here, although I-95 is not included-it is a real nightmare.Have been enjoying this website and hope to contribute when applicable.Selling my Harley 'cause I just enjoy the 650 more.Got mine through Honda East in Toledo and saved a bunch, if anyone's thinking of purchasing soon. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA! Congratulations on the new 650. I am originally from Guilford, CT and commuted to Trumbull for years. I know that I-95 nightmare well - and don't miss it a bit. What town are you from?

You might want to update your profile with City, State. Most of us do that and it helps other members in our local areas spot us. Also, a guy in Tokyo or LA complaining about the 650s prowess in city traffic makes little sense to a guy from Omaha (its happened) - and having that info there helps put posts into proper context sometimes.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
925 Posts
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FLYBOY!!!

JD 8)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm located in Lyme, Ct. about 40 min. from and east of New Haven, famous for the Clinton and Bush graduates.Nebaska's a long scoot from here, but I bet the traffic's a breeze, Paul.To furthur update my profile, I'm a retired Captain from TWA-of course, the whole airline is retired now-and occassionally feel the need for speed,even though I'm an old f---, 62, which the Burgy gives me in spades.Haven't seen another 650 around here yet,but I'm on the lookout for one of you guys. :D Billy

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hey "flyboy", welcome to the Forum! I know you'll love your new Burgman (I have the identical 650 and enjoy it more than any bike I've owned in the last 30 years). Ride often and be safe.
I-95 is just as bad down here between D.C. and N.J. and I avoid it entirely. Whenever I come up your way or to upstate N.Y. I use I-81 north and I-84 east to the Newburgh area. Much nicer ride. :D

Don

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
flyboy said:
I'm located in Lyme, Ct. about 40 min. from and east of New Haven, famous for the Clinton and Bush graduates.
And Lyme disease... which I had a few years back. But it is a pretty area. There was some guy around there, had a house kind of up on a hill & a big garage. I'll bet he had about thirty motorcycles. I remember riding by on a Sunday morning and he had them all out in his driveway, maybe washing them - or maybe just counting them!

I'd love to get back to New England and ride some of my old favorite roads sometime - but it is three 500 mile days out, and the same coming back. If I ever do buy that Corbin seat for my scooter, it would be a good break-in run for it!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome Flyboy! You also may want to check out http://www.Ride4Ever.org, which is CT based and has built-in maps (unfortunately for most of us, only of CT).

Cheers,

Bryna

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
corbin seat

Have you ever tried a Corbin, Paul.Couple of Harley guys said they were hard as a rock-no padding. I'm looking for more lumbar support which the Corbin has, but I've never seen one to try it out. Might try the Jac back support.And Bryna, thanks for the info on maps.I'll check it out.We had a cool map display on the later generation jets[767,757] that always showed where we were, like a chart plotter with gps, although we didn't have gps, if you can believe that.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: corbin seat

flyboy said:
Have you ever tried a Corbin, Paul.Couple of Harley guys said they were hard as a rock-no padding.
Ha! I have a Corbin on my current V-Strom, had one on my prior Kawasaki Concours (60000 miles on that one), and had one on my Honda Shadow 1100 prior to that!

Corbin's have plenty of "padding" but they use a very firm foam. It works. When you first sit your butt down on it, it feels hard - it always will. But you can ride on it all day long and your butt doesn't get sore - unlike many softer seats I've had. Guys like your "Harley Guys", sit down on a Corbin for a couple of seconds, say "it's too hard", and write it off. They are missing the whole point. A lot of folks prefer firm mattresses to sleep on because they support your body better than a cushy soft mattress - and are ultimately more comfortable. Similar ergos with a Corbin seat. I've loved riding on every one I've owned. Corbin seats will break-in and comform to the shape of your butt over the first thousand miles or so - but I've found them pretty comfortable right from the start.

I'd be buying one for the Burgman, but I spent $200 to have my seat redone at a local upholstery shop before Corbin decided to produce the scooter seats. So my wife would shoot me if I turned around and ordered a Corbin for the scooter this year. I've also spent $$$ on shocks, windscreens and a Remus exhaust for the Burgman - and similar stuff for the V-Strom - so I've got to cool it for a little while. Maybe next year...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I-84

DonRich90 said:
Hey "flyboy", welcome to the Forum! I know you'll love your new Burgman (I have the identical 650 and enjoy it more than any bike I've owned in the last 30 years). Ride often and be safe.
I-95 is just as bad down here between D.C. and N.J. and I avoid it entirely. Whenever I come up your way or to upstate N.Y. I use I-81 north and I-84 east to the Newburgh area. Much nicer ride. :D

Don
Don't ride on 84 East of Danbury, Ct. Don. All constuction.BTW, are you still happy with your Clearview xxl? I'm thinking of upgrading the windshield and am considering the laminar lip or a clearview.You mentioned you look through the WS, not over it. No distortion? I'm also 6'2" with a 32" inseam, but I'm not sure I want to look through the WS.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

pauljo said:
flyboy said:
Have you ever tried a Corbin, Paul.Couple of Harley guys said they were hard as a rock-no padding.
Ha! I have a Corbin on my current V-Strom, had one on my prior Kawasaki Concours (60000 miles on that one), and had one on my Honda Shadow 1100 prior to that!
Thanks, Paul, I'll have to reconsider, and maybe save a lot more moola.Would all the Givi stuff like topboxes still work with the Corbin?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts

flyboy said:
Thanks, Paul, I'll have to reconsider, and maybe save a lot more moola.Would all the Givi stuff like topboxes still work with the Corbin?
Givi topbox should be fine. I have one on my V-Strom, and I had one on my Concours - no conflict with the Corbin seats. You would not want the Corbin passenger backrest though - I'm certain that wouldn't work - and the Givi trunk is a good backrest anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Re: I-84

[/quote] Don't ride on 84 East of Danbury, Ct. Don. All constuction.BTW, are you still happy with your Clearview xxl? I'm thinking of upgrading the windshield and am considering the laminar lip or a clearview.You mentioned you look through the WS, not over it. No distortion? I'm also 6'2" with a 32" inseam, but I'm not sure I want to look through the WS.[/quote]

Still love the XXL. I do look thru the upper portion of the screen where the screen curves slightly upward and creates some mild distortion but it's not enough to bother me. I'd really considered the XL but I was afraid it might not be tall enough to stop the wind noise created by my helmet which was my major problem.
With the XXL, when I stretch a couple of inches to look over it, I do get some of the wind noise from my helmet but not near as much as before, so the XL may have worked somewhat.
Remember, Clearview's instructions recommend that you leave the protective plastic sheets on the shield until you have installed and tested the shield. If it doesn't do the job, you can return/exchange the shield as long as the protective sheets haven't been removed. :D

Don

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: I-84

[]I'm trying to decide whether I want to look through or over the WS.I looked through it on my Harley and probably will go that route, although Paul apparently wants to look over a bit and feel more wind on his kisser.He's evaluating the Gustafsson soon so I'll wait to see how he likes that-he's tried a lot of stuff, so he's a good sounding board. :D

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi flyboy and welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you're enjoying the new ride.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome flyboy!

I live in Stamford, so if you're riding around the southern CT area let me know! I took a nice ride up the Merritt a couple weeks ago, then up I-91 into Vermont and New Hampshire. I'm up in Toronto this week, but back down in the CT area after that if you're doing any riding.

Pat

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pgray007 said:
Welcome flyboy!

I live in Stamford, so if you're riding around the southern CT area let me know! I took a nice ride up the Merritt a couple weeks ago, then up I-91 into Vermont and New Hampshire. I'm up in Toronto this week, but back down in the CT area after that if you're doing any riding.

Pat
Thanks, Pat, Will do, but I tend not to go West from here due to traffic.Mostly cruising the back roads around here for now.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Billy,

Just curious what dealer you purchased the Burgman 650 from. A lot of the eastern Connecticut guys go out to Razee in Rhode Island - I can't remember if Suzuki was among the brands he sells. I used to buy my Suzuki's from New Haven Suzuki back in the early 80's - but they are in a rather bad section of the city. Can't remember who else is still in business in eastern Connecticut.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pauljo said:
Billy,

Just curious what dealer you purchased the Burgman 650 from. A lot of the eastern Connecticut guys go out to Razee in Rhode Island - I can't remember if Suzuki was among the brands he sells. I used to buy my Suzuki's from New Haven Suzuki back in the early 80's - but they are in a rather bad section of the city. Can't remember who else is still in business in eastern Connecticut.
Paul, Got it through Honda East out of Toledo, Ohio.Suzuki dealers are scarce around here.Two dealers went under in the last year or so, and the one closest to me is apparently in trouble.I wish Suzuki had a successful bunch of dealers like Honda-makes me wonder if they'll stay in business long term.I think you're referring to Libby's in New Haven, and you're right about the bad part of town.Did you see that 5 men were shot at random Sunday night!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
No. I was referring to New Haven Suzuki, which was right in downtown New Haven for years. Very bad location. Ghetto territory... Libby's location is marginal - but not as bad. Libby's never carried Suzuki that I can remember though. They started out with Yamaha, then picked up Honda when Freedom Honda in Hamden closed. They have dabbled in other marques along the way, BMW for a short time, and they had Triumph as of a couple of years ago.

I used to check the New Haven Register website occasionally, but they have gone to subscription I think - so I don't bother anymore. So unless it makes USA Today (like the Governor thing) - I don't get much Connecticut news.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts