Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After reading for a few days and gleaning a lot of great info, I figured I'd join the group. My partner and I, early40somethings (to answer the age question :wink: ), are planning to get a Burgie 400 within the next month or so. We're taking the MSF course in late June. We settled on the 400 based on its size, comfort, styling and the fact that previous foot surgeries we've both had on our L feet would make extended shifting tedious at best.

Thank you for all that you've shared on dealing with dealers, gadgets, etc. It's truly been helpful. And it is refreshing to find so many others interested in maxi-scootering.

Cheers,

Bryna

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi Bryna: Welcome to the Burgman forum! The 400 Burgman is perhaps the best "first" street bike anyone can get, I'm sure many would agree. Not just for "first" bike, but for any experience level as well.

Taking the MSF course is a MUST too. Here's to many happy miles for you and your partner :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Byrna. Welcome to the forum. I am a AN400 owner AND a Bucks County resident myself. It seems that the Burgman is starting to make a presence here in PA. There are a few of us from this neck of the woods in this forum. Heck maybe we should get a ride together sometime! :p

You will love the 400! I ride it every minute I can. It has power, it has comfort, and it has great looks to boot. Happy riding!!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Hey migz123and ZenDan,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Zen, once we get our bike, we'd certainly be up for riding. 8) We're in Newtown and are taking the MSF at Brian's. Can I ask, where did you get your blue baby? Was it a good experience? Do you use the dealer for servicing?

You've nailed it migz: the 400 looks like an ideal bike for us newbies. (Had a 50cc Honda Elite 20 years ago, nothing since.) We looked at small regular cycles--250ccs--but we get the sense we'd outgrow them pretty quickly (especially Lynn who is 5'11"!) and none offered anything resembling good passenger comfort.

I'll appreciate any insight you can provide.

Cheers,

Bryna

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hye Bryna,

I got my baby blue at Montgomerville Cycle Center, http://www.montgomeryvillecycle.com/. They have a one price, no haggle policy which I like. I bought my first bike there, and had it serviced there as well. I have yet to service the Burgie, but I am almost at 600 miles so I will be going there soon. I have heard both good and bad about MCC, so you will have to judge for yourself, but I have never had a problem with them. You can also check out http://www.bromleys.com/ , another PA rider got his bike there, and had a good experiance with them.

BTW, I am in Warrington, so not too far from you. Let me knew when you get your bike. My girlfriend and I would love to have someone to ride with.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info!

Thanks, ZenDan for the info on Montgomeryville and Bromley. Actually, we were planning to go to Bromley's today after work, so I'll let you know.

We are sooo eager to ride! And will look forward to riding with you. Do you each have bikes or do you ride two-up. Did it take long to get used to riding two-up? Neither of us have done that before. And have you found insurance to be reasonable? I was quoted $430 a year by McGraw. Still have to check w/ our State Farm (car) agent.

Thanks again,

Bryna

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Bryna :wave: and welcome to the forum .Good luck in your quest for your 400. Hopefully all goes well and you will be riding in no time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Me too.

Hi Bryna,

Wow we are going down the same path at the same time. I am currently in the MSC in Hanover, PA. I have been looking at a blue 400 and will probably purchase in a week or two. I have been dealing with Damien at Ray Wilt. They have come down a little and I am hoping that by holding out a bit longer they may come down some more.
I plan to ride back and forth to work (Hanover to Carlisle) I'll let you know when I finally get it.

The Bossman

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Bryna and Lynn,
I'm also from PA Lehigh County. I ride a 650 Burgman.
I had looked at the 400's when I went to get mine. I sat down and figured screw it I spend the extra$$ and went for the bigger bike. I've been riding for 16+ years. I bought mine at Blackman's Cycle (aka the northern extension of Montgomery cycle center) same people own it now.
Welcome to the group, I've only been here a few days and have met some wonderful people.

Ed

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys!

Hey Allwalk, Bossman and Ed,

Thanks for the welcome; I really appreciate it! We got our M class permits this morning--the counter guy gave us a nod of approval when we said we'd already signed up for the MSF course. This afternoon, we're going bike shopping in Jersey.

Went to Bromley's yesterday, won't be back. Apathetic at best (homophobic at worst) sales person. When we asked when the 400 would be "built" to test ride, he said, "Well, why don't you just try the 650." Uh, no...you just don't get it...I have to say, of our 5-6 bike shop experiences in Jersey, PA and even Georgia, this was the only shop we won't consider revisiting.

Gotta run for now...Good luck, Bossman with your course!

Bryna

·
Registered
21 Posts
And a welcome from New Hope Bryna!

Hope you fund a good dealer. I'm surprised by your negative Bromley experience. I guess it all depends on who you deal with. I did find them a bit apathetic, but overall friendly and helpful. Plus they had an easy sale with me since they had an '03 floor model ready to roll.

I've seen a couple people riding around on scoots in the area. Last week I caught sight of a Burg and a Yamaha, I think. I'm sure we'll cross paths before long.

Best,
Ted

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 650 but when I originally went to look for a bike I had it down to 2-3 choices, either the 400 burgman (1st choice) or an aprillia Atlantic 500, I loved the 650 but thought it wa too much money compared to the 400.

When I went to my dealer I had a honda elite80 with low miles. To get to my dealer I have to travel up some steep grades. Well to make a long story short.. I weigh in at about 260# I'm 5'10.

The dealer I went to did not have a 400 in stock (must have sold 1-2 weeks prior, I was in there and they had one). I like the Atlantic 500 also must have sold in the 1-2 week interum. They had a 650, I sat down on it and was sold. The seat was the most comfortable I have ever sat in. I figured hell this is my first new bike purchase ever (I have owned 5 bikes prior to...) and said you know what this is the first time I'm going to get exactly what I want, the hell with the expense.

I figured if I ever want to ride two up, I want full power for acceleration in the city and highway.
Prior to this I had a 91 Harley sportster 883. I took my cousin for a ride (together we probably hit the 400#+ of weight. It was a dog on accelerating.) I also had my mother and brother on the back at one point. It still lacked power to accelerate.

I spent many $$ to have it converted to a 1200 and even more to have it double plugged (2 sets of spark plugs in each cyclinder) also had the head shaved by 0.005".

Solo riding on this was like riding a bomb, It would pull sideways with the slightest twist on dry ground, when it was wet you could litterally throw it into a 360 with a twist of the throttle...

I wanted a bike that would serve me well under all conditions. I decided that the 650 was best for me all around (read with 2 up had plenty of power and remained stable with just me on it).

If you and your partner are planning on riding frequently together, I would suggest the 650. I'm guestimating that combine you weigh between 250-380#. I think this would be a bit much for a 400. But I may be wrong.

You don't want to make a purchase and 3 months later say to yourself, I wish I would have....

Only to be looking at a new bike again.

Historically,
I keep my bikes for 5-10 yrs, so I could justify the extra dollars up front.
If you do to then spent the extra and get what you need/want. If you trade frequently then go for the 400.

BTW: I paid retail 7699.00 plus 6% tax and the $125 set up fee/notory for mine. This did include a GIVI mount and E52 topcase.

Did I get the buy of the century, No. Did I get a fair deal? I think I did. Others have done better I know.

I purchased this on Aug. 24th 2003.

Ed

I'm reasonable satisfied with my dealer. Sales excellent, service fair to better then average (after reading here from others experiences).
if you want to know more PM me and I will tell all.

I've never rode a 400 and I decide to go with the 650 for two reasons.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bought it!

Hi everyone,

Well, Saturday afternoon we put a $100 deposit on our new 400. Went to Burgers in Three Rivers, NJ, near where Lynn grew up. :) This was the dealer who'd given us a price of $5,099 via e-mail, the best we'd seen in this area. And while he couldn't/wouldn't budge any on the price--fair enough--he did give us very nice discounts on the helmets and jackets we bought in their shop. Those savings essentially dropped the price by about $100 and made the gear cheaper than any internet prices we'd seen.

We pick it up this coming Saturday! It's a silver '04--we'd have taken either color but it was the silver they had in stock. They also sell Hondas, so we got to literally to a side-by-side comparison to the Reflex and Silver Wing. We liked the Burgie a lot more in terms of features, size and price.

Now I'm lining up insurance....to take our baby home! 8)

Ted: Yup, I'm sure we'll be seeing each other soon as I'll be backroading it a lot! Ed: Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,

Bryna (and Lynn)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
P.S.

At some point down the road, we're looking forward to becoming a 2 Burgie family. 8)

Bryna

·
Registered
105 Posts
Congrats Ladies! I know you will love it. :D If you happened to see a blue Burgie it is probably either Ted or myself. Don't forget to wave!!! :wink: And if you are interested in getting together, let me know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts