Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day All, I've been thinking about a 2011 650 burgman first registered in jan 2012 ie 2months warrantee remaining (providing all the required services have been done at the required time) 27000 kms,16500 miles, what should I check, any particular noises that mean trouble etc Regards Paul

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm not an expert in such things, perhaps other, more mechanically knowledgable riders could chime in, but...

Smooth operation, instant start up, oil color (should be dark golden, not black), usual stuff. The engine should have a very nice "whirl" to it when you take off. With the transmission noise, its been described as almost like a low rpm jet engine. At highway speed, you should not hear the engine at all, almost, except when accelerating.

When decelerating the transmission gears will have a similar, higher pitched whirl.

In "Power" mode, acceleration should be crisp as well as have a very pronounced engine deceleration. You should have no troubles surpassing any vehicle in this mode. 0-60 mph in 7 seconds I believe.

In Regular "drive" mode the ride should be a good deal more pleasant, and acceleration and deceleration not so pronounced. More of a Sunday drive feel to it. The clutch will stay engaged until 10mph when slowing, then you'll feel the clutch release and a nice coasting affect.

The brakes should be equally powerful. Try a hard stop, when safe. You should feel very confident in its stopping distance.

The speedometer is a reported 8-10% high. There should be no sputters, or jitters or popping sounds, just smooth, controlled operations, like a well healed luxury sports sedan.

Now, I've only had my 650 for a few months and only have a few thousand on the clock, but those are my impressions. Perhaps a high mileage rider can give more insight.

You are buying, arguably, the finest scooter on the market. There should be no doubts as to this when you ride it. This bike is smooth as silk. If something feels or sounds wrong, there probably is.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Liam is right. It's a brilliant scoot. Should be smooth as silk with no 'on the move' mechanical noise such as knocking, grinding, loud rattles. But at standstill you may hear a very slight rattle from the rear transmission. This is nothing normally to worry about. It's the transfer gears that take the power to the back wheel. The newer ones are almost silent, the 2011 should be too. Early ones can be modified if they have not been sorted already. But your prospective 2011 should be very very quiet. At 16,500 miles there should not be anything wrong with it if it's been serviced regularly and properly. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
G'day All, Thanks Liamjs and Quantum mechanic for your responses. I haven't seen this scooter in person yet, only photos as it is 800 kms from my residence however yesterday I had a ride on a 2006 model 650 it went ok but one thing I noticed with it was the amount of effort it took to push it around when moving it out of a parking spot I have read the 2013 models have had a modification to the clutch to help in this regard. Does any one feel the 2011 models are easier to push around than the 2006 models or is it something you get used to (bearing in mind I have had my 70th birthday) Regards Paul

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's a bit heavy. I'm used to it and don't have any problems. But I'm over 20 years your junior and been riding most of my life. But I used to have bigger bikes to and appreciate the, relatively, smaller 650.

However, if you are having problems maneuvering the 650 about and really want a solution, I'd downsize to the 400. It's a vastly capable bike and 100lbs lighter. Weight is weight and no clutch modification on the 650 is going to fix that. Be that said, if anyone else has experience with the new clutch, please let our friend from down under know about it.

I've been riding a b400 for a lot of years and can assure you it's got more than enough power and moxi. I've personally have ridden 350+ mile days on it and I know many in the group have ridden 500+ days. It's an excellent small touring bike and a better around town bike.

Its also a bit more "forgiving" to ride as the power and engine braking are no so pronounced. So unless you are going to do some serious long-distance riding of the outback, the 400 maybe a better fit.

If you choose to do so, let us know. The 400 has a very different sound and feel to the bike.

·
Registered
704 Posts
There is a considerable difference in ease of pushing my '04 and my '12. I don't know when the change was made but the literature says '13. I got a suspicion the change was made before but not announced. The '12 pushes easier but then sitting at a traffic light on a slight grade I can no longer release the brakes and just stand there waiting for the light to change. I have to either hang onto one brake or set the parking brake lest it wants to roll on me. The ECVT mapping is different too. I would prefer the '04 mapping.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm curious why you prefer the K4 CVT mapping. I'd rather have lower RPMs in automatic mode (and better fuel economy) than my K4 does. I suppose that's one reason I'm in manual mode most of the time under 45mph. If I want to wrap it up, I can hit the POWER button or just wind it out in manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts