Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2009 400 for my wife but I have been riding it so far, when pulling out and not giving much throttle it shakes and chatters until the rpms go higher, is this normal? Bought from a dealer and they had gone over it. Also yesterday it had a smell like something had overheated but checked and everything seems fine. Thanks

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Sounds like! The Belt or Rollors, Or you may need to Adjust the Throttle ,

overheated, Check the Fluids, Maybe Air Bubbles in the Radiator...

Elliott,

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Start with the simple first; glazed clutch pads. It's very common with the 400 and produces jitters, shakes and squeals. Solution, sand down the clutch pads and blow out expended clutch material (ie dust). My local shop charges $40 and it takes an hour, if you're not mechanically inclined. Afterwards, it will run silky smooth once more. Mine usually needs this every 5k-10k miles, but I ride the 400 mostly in heavy traffic.

It could be belts and rollers too. When was the last time they were changed? My experience is to change them every 20k miles. If you're within this limit, you're probably okay.

The smell problem is a bit disconcerting. The pad glazing can produce a burning smell if there are a lot of prolonged starts in quick succession, like riding in traffic or starting off uphill. The secret to riding the 400 is to blip the throttle to 4500 rpm at take off and get the clutch engaged immediately, then moderate your speed. You don't want slow starts as this heats up the clutch pads and produces the glaze that needs to be removed.

Also, this is something the dealer easily could have missed because you have to remove the clutch bell & housing to get to it, a minor job, but one not usually done with a simple inspection.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Just bought a 2009 400 for my wife but I have been riding it so far, when pulling out and not giving much throttle it shakes and chatters until the rpms go higher, is this normal? Bought from a dealer and they had gone over it. Also yesterday it had a smell like something had overheated but checked and everything seems fine. Thanks
DON"T start out gently. With mine, I always started put at near full throttle until the clutch locked up. That is the first thing the prior owner told me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I'm going to talk to the dealer I bought it from tomorrow and see if they will take a look at it.
Did take notice if I give it alot of throttle when starting out it doesn't do it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I wouldn't be too quick to hit the panic button, as what to you may be "shaking & chattering" may be completely normal for the 400. I'd still consult the dealer though, but it just may be the nature of the beast. As someone else mentioned, you're better off not babying it off the line. Hope it all works out, as I too have an '09 AN400 and like it very much.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I like ridind the 400 better than my 1100 Shadow!
Thats called the "Burgman Grin". The 400 is perhaps the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Small and light enough to be fun, yet big enough to have a good deal of power. A great compromise.

I'm almost sure its just a little clutch deglazing needed. It should be smooth on take off. Insist that the dealer at least tries to deglaze it. It's only a half hour job and I would not hurt to do it. So why not try it!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Agreed with everybody on the clutch de-glazing. I just went through my whole clutch/cvt system (it's not hard) and now it's smooth as a ...smooth thing!
Mine had the same judders you describe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Called dealer.They told me to bring it in and he would test drive it, was going to do Saturday but it calls for rain. Darn, that's about a 20 mile ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had dealer ride the 400. Only did it for him once, since I have been pulling out at higher rpm it works alot better. Thanks for the advice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts