Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Newbee, looking at a 2003 650 burgman

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Buffalo 
#1 ·
Hello,

My name is Dennis. I currently own and ride a 2003 Harley Electra Glide Classic. I have become very much interested in the 650 Burgmans. A good friend of mine has one and he encouraged me to ride it. I was blown away by it in all phases of riding. A neighbor is selling a 2003 650 Burgman and is asking $3,300.00 for it. I am going to see it tomorrow as he is away today. This Burgman has 13,000 miles on it. If this is in the excellant condition the owner claims it is, what do you think a fair price for it would be. Is there anything about a 2003 Burgman that I should know about in terms of it not being something good to buy. And is there anything special that I should look for on a Burgman that would be a sign of something detrimental with it. Thank you for you input and help with this.

Dennis :)

#2 ·
Two things were found to be weak points on the 2003 & 2004 models. The big one is a weak design on the priimary pulley adapter that connects the engine to the cvt. The other is the ecm is two modules instead of one. The ecm thing is more of an annoiance. The adapter can lead to an expensive repair. At 13,000 on a well maintained bike I wouldn't worry a whole lot about either.

#4 ·
If you want more info go to the 650 section and read through the sticky thread at the top on primary spline failures. It will tell you just about everything you want to know about the adapter failures on the 03 & 04 models. Suzuki canged the design in 05 which pretty much took care of that particular issue. They also went to a single ECM to control both the FI system and the CVT.

#5 ·
Dennis, welcome to the best forum on the web.

On the 03 650 there were three major issues, the primary input adapter that Craig said, the ignition wiring harness at the back of the ignition switch and the wheel bearings. The switch and bearings are covered by a recall and are free if they have not been done. Ask the seller and if not all one of you need to do is bring the VIN to your local dealer and have them run the number. It may require leaving the bike till the order the parts and install them.

Over all 13,000 miles is not bad. You can go to Kelly Blue Book www.KBB.com and check the price in your ZIP code area. $3,300 may be a bit high for some areas and low for others.

I had 54,300 miles on my 2003 when it ingested water in the CVT vent. No fault of the bike, I was in a deep puddle of water and a Cement mixer truck splashed a wall of water over me.

The (02 non-USA) 03 to 04 Primary adapters are a bad design and make the bike sound like a diesel. There is not anything Suzuki will do to fix it. There are some ideas on a modification on here.

#6 ·
Can't comment on those years but seems a tad high and I'm thinking something a bit later might be available in the $3500-4000.
My 2005 was a lovely bike and not a spec of trouble and still going strong with the owner after me.

#8 ·
When a bike is 10 years old, Condition of bike is extremely important. Tires, battery, miles, maintenance records and cosmetics will have major bearing on the value. As posted, a newer bike can be purchased in the 3500-4k range and may be more desirable if it doesn't need a lot of work.

#10 ·
Bienvenue / Welcome, you not say if you live USA, Canada, Europe etc., this would help member for help you.

Believe price high as bike 11 year old 2013, if tire original bike must have new F&R tire, CVT design of that year very much noisy, it anoying when stop, very important problem if CVT fail ( design problem on 2003 & 2004) stealership repair about same as you pay for bike.

Burgie 650 very very amazing & surprising motorcycle, more you ride burgie more you love burgie machine, me have 2 burgie for 9 year now, not sure can have other conventional bike again except perhap Victory Vision Tour.

Me would buy 2007 + burgie 650.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP0pZlVPvG4

This look like very good deal:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59292

#11 ·
Here is a list of 650 Burgmans that is nationwide

http://www.scooterfinds.com/suzuki-burg ... s-for-sale

high lights - brilliant deal but a bit confused id it's a 400 or 650 - if it IS a 2009 Exec it's a very good price

2009 BERGMAN SUZUKI NEW2009 400CC BERGMAN 3500 MILES ON BIKE, KEPT IN GARAGE COVERED ALL IT'S LIFE- CB AND MP3 ON BIKE, NO SCRATHCES NO BRUISES, NO RUST, LIKE SHOWROOM CONDITION- $4250.00 CASH OR BEST OFFER NEED IT GONE! 2009 650CC EXECUTIVE BERGMAN 8K MILES LIKE NEW AS W [...] $4,250 2009 3500 DAYTONA BEACH FL

nother one

Suzuki Burgman 650 2006I am selling my Suzuki Burgman before I return back to Hawaii. I am the third owner of the scooter. Scooter has just under 11K miles on it. Runs great and gets 55+ mpg. The scooter is not cosmetically perfect as there are some scratches on it. The ha [...] $3,000 2006 11000 mill valley CA

#13 ·
Here is a list of 650 Burgmans that is nationwide

http://www.scooterfinds.com/suzuki-burg ... s-for-sale
I would not bother with Scooterfinds.com. It can only find about 10% of what is out there. I suggest Searchtempest.com. It is much more accurate.

As for buying a 2003 Burgman, I would feel better closer to the $2,000-$2,500 range if it was well taken care of. If something happens, you can part it out and recover most all the money.

#14 ·
What I can't understand is how a Burgie that old could have so few miles. I have 40K on my 07 and wish I had the time to ride it more. I agree with others that the $3K price seems a bit high but if it's immaculate, hasn't been put down, and has had proper maintenance it could be an OK deal. If you buy it, ride the hell out of it and enjoy.

By the way, I'm a former Harley owner and have never regretted my move to a mega scoot.

#15 ·
I only put up Scooterfinds as it gives some reference prices - never claimed it was comprehensive.
But just to show that $3k for a 2003 is no deal.

••

My 2005 Burgman had 1200 miles on when I bought it 2010 - I put 15,000 on in year and then flipped it for a 2009.

I think people do not understand the 650 and get over their heads.

#16 ·
momule said:
What I can't understand is how a Burgie that old could have so few miles. I have 40K on my 07 and wish I had the time to ride it more. I agree with others that the $3K price seems a bit high but if it's immaculate, hasn't been put down, and has had proper maintenance it could be an OK deal. If you buy it, ride the hell out of it and enjoy.

By the way, I'm a former Harley owner and have never regretted my move to a mega scoot.
I suspect someone or two or more someones, not actual "riders, bought it as a toy--there are gobs of low mileage bikes and scooters available in here in Florida. I bought my '03 400 in May of 2011 with 12.3k miles on it--1500 miles a year...

#17 ·
7 years ago I bought a 1980 Suzuki GS425E that had 775 miles on it. I rode it for another 2500 Miles and sold it. It was ridden every year by the first owner for a trip to the lake cabin and back, about 35 miles round trip. He said he spent more on batteries than he paid for the bike new.

#19 ·
oldbobbydrums71 said:
from my exp with the 650 burger they eat up the rear tires 3-4000 miles i like my 400 burger :p
Now thats most likely a road problem. I ride my 650 hard and can get 12,000 form a BattelAx rear and have gotten 20,000 from a bias ply Michelin Gold Standard, both on my 650's. I have had 3 AN650's so far for a total of about 100,000 miles. 100K, yep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.