Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you can order one, on line. It comes dry, you add the acid. Which I have done before, for my old HD.

BUT the battery for the 2008 400AN sets on its side. Hmmmmmm

I don't know what kind of Yuasa I have now (it's about 6 years old).

Would a sealed battery be better? Or are they all the same.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The yuasa works just fine on its side. Yuasa YUAM329BS YTX9-BS Battery

That’s what I have in my k7. Should be the same.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Like Liamjis says, the Yuasa YTX-9 BS is a good battery.

The ytx-9 battery is a “sealed battery” once you have filled it. It uses permanent filler plugs, not removable caps and has a regulator valve (VRLA)
But that isn’t why you can mount it on its side.

The reason you can mount it on its side is that is an AGM battery, meaning “absorbed glass mat”. Instead of flooding the battery with acid, the acid is absorbed into a kind of sponge that holds it in place against the plates and immobilises it - originally a military aircraft technology :).

This is one reason these batteries are so small, another is that they use a cast lead/calcium architecture instead of the usual flooded plates.

AGM and gel batteries (acid held in a gel) are known as recombinant batteries. Instead of byproducts, water and gas being able to escape into the battery case or even out of it - it is held in place and when recharging it recombines at the point it was created.

On the good side they give better weight v power than a wet cell, they tend to last quite a bit longer and they don’t need topping up. A bit more forgiving of deep cycle discharge. Resist sulfation betterResist vibration and shock aging/damage better than wet batteries too because the mat acts as a separator/packing for the plates.

On the negative side they don’t like being overcharged and it will shorten their life more than with a wet battery. More expensive to buy.

Note fill the battery slowly to let it absorb the acid correctly, let it sit for a few hours then charge it. You are “commisioning” the battery which is a process, not just filling it.
Although it is comes “dry charged” it is best to charge it fully before fitting as part of the commisioning process. In some places you can get pre-filled Yuasa (same battery factory commissioned”) but you want to know it has been properly maintained wherever it has been stored.

·
Super Moderator
2,288 Posts
Great batteries.
I now have one in all three bikes. I buy 'em off Amazon, just the OEM size, no fussing around; albeit you probably do get a bit of a gain using the maximum battery.
They come with nicely printed directions. RTFM...The only deviation I do is using a 2 amp charger (With automatic shut down so it won't over charge) cuz that's what I have around.
Has worked just fine the four times I've done it. No fuss no muss. Fill battery (don't spill the acid), let it sit, charge it up..voila.
Keep 'em on a tender or start 'em now and again on long down times, & no issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looking for the best Battery for my 2008 Burgman

I bought this bike new and the original battery was pretty weak. I replaced it a couple of years ago with a Canadian Tire replacement that was at least as bad as the first one. I get one shot at starting the bike and there is no juice left if it doesn't catch. The next try is just a grumble. There has to be a better choice out there. The bike starts on the first try about 90% of the time. That means I am left on the side of the road about 5 starts out of 50. Can anyone recommend a battery with more staying power.

MERGED to this topic

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yuasa.

I bought my 2008 in 2012, the PO had just put a new Yuasa in it. Which lasted until I replaced it with another one in May this year. You can install the OEM size one, or the next size up (taller one) with more CCA.

But the key to motorcycle battery longevity is a Battery Tender Jr. I have something plugged into the BT at all times.

·
Super Moderator
2,288 Posts
If ya don't mind spending a few extra bucks (OK they're about double the real cheapies) look up the size, & pick up a YUASA that you have to add the acid to (it comes with it) from Amazon.

This gets you as fresh a battery as possible with the only drawback being it'll take about half a day to let the acid soak in and do the initial charge. You will need a trickle charger to do this..I use an ancient Sears 2amp with an auto off.
After that, like Mike notes, use some flavor of tender on it if you're parking for extended periods.

You could roll the dice on one of the chinese generics, there are a lot of sellers of those that have a good warranty and honor it, but you'll find they use that instead of QC so end up honoring it a lot. During which time you're stuck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks to both of you for your advice. I have three tenders which are always going on the bikes or yard equipment. Even fully charged the old batter just isn't making it. I take it that these batteries are ok to use on their sides.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thought I'd just add onto this Yuasa battery thread. Our 2004 AN400 still has the original Yuasa battery after 64,000+ km. (about 40,000 miles). I remove the battery each winter, store it in our basement and occasionally (maybe bi-monthly) put the trickle charger on it. It still started the scoot this Spring although I'm noticing an audible slowdown in engine cranking speed now. I think it's time to replace this original battery soon as I don't want a battery failure on the road.

I did my homework. The Factory Service Manual calls for a FT12A-BS type designation. These "FT's" are not available anymore ... at least not that I could find. Given the outstanding longevity of the original battery, I want another Yuasa battery and their replacement PN# is now YTX9-BS (135 CCA) as confirmed by my local Suzuki dealer (good, trustworthy people). They sell it for CDN $99 plus taxes (13%).

Following the suggestion of another poster, I searched for what might be the strongest battery I could find that would still fit into this scooter battery spot. Turns out the Yuasa YT12A-BS is exactly has exactly the same dimensions but is rated considerably stronger at 175 CCA's. This will be the one I purchase and install. It is CDN $135 + taxes. I hope I'll get another 14 years/40,000 miles out of it.

I should add, the dealer also offered me a $75 Chinese battery option for me to consider that would replicate the OEM specs. I quickly said no thanks.

·
Administrator
18,199 Posts
So you can order one, on line. It comes dry, you add the acid. Which I have done before, for my old HD.

BUT the battery for the 2008 400AN sets on its side. Hmmmmmm

I don't know what kind of Yuasa I have now (it's about 6 years old).

Would a sealed battery be better? Or are they all the same.

Kind of a older thread but still good info. It s a sticky now. I am moving it to the 2007+ 400 page. I also merged in Rusherman's post.

You need a sealed battery and the 2 that Suziblu listed above will work.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Thanks to both of you for your advice. I have three tenders which are always going on the bikes or yard equipment. Even fully charged the old batter just isn't making it. I take it that these batteries are ok to use on their sides.

Obviously, the battery is not the problem.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thought I'd just add onto this Yuasa battery thread. Our 2004 AN400 still has the original Yuasa battery after 64,000+ km. (about 40,000 miles). I remove the battery each winter, store it in our basement and occasionally (maybe bi-monthly) put the trickle charger on it. It still started the scoot this Spring although I'm noticing an audible slowdown in engine cranking speed now. I think it's time to replace this original battery soon as I don't want a battery failure on the road.

I did my homework. The Factory Service Manual calls for a FT12A-BS type designation. These "FT's" are not available anymore ... at least not that I could find. Given the outstanding longevity of the original battery, I want another Yuasa battery and their replacement PN# is now YTX9-BS (135 CCA) as confirmed by my local Suzuki dealer (good, trustworthy people). They sell it for CDN $99 plus taxes (13%).

Following the suggestion of another poster, I searched for what might be the strongest battery I could find that would still fit into this scooter battery spot. Turns out the Yuasa YT12A-BS is exactly has exactly the same dimensions but is rated considerably stronger at 175 CCA's. This will be the one I purchase and install. It is CDN $135 + taxes. I hope I'll get another 14 years/40,000 miles out of it.

I should add, the dealer also offered me a $75 Chinese battery option for me to consider that would replicate the OEM specs. I quickly said no thanks.
UPDATE - June 25, 2018 - just to close the loop, here's what Yuasa stated when I asked them to confirm which battery I should buy to replace my original battery (FT12A-BS) in our 2004 Burgman 400.

Good morning,

Is your scooter's original battery a FT12A-BS? If so, then you can go ahead and use that battery. Our part number would be YUAM32ABS (YT12A-BS). Reason I ask is because, our applications catalog might be incorrect. We are currently in the process of updating the catalog.

Kind regards,

Kelvin Gonzalez
Customer Service
Yuasa Battery Inc.
610-929-5781 ext 192
www.yuasabatteries.com

So, Yuasa do not recommend buying the YTX9-BS battery as a replacement for the OEM FT12A-BS. The YTX9-BS appears to be the wrong battery. They do recommend the YT12A-BS as the correct replacement battery.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The yuasa works just fine on its side. Yuasa YUAM329BS YTX9-BS Battery

That’s what I have in my k7. Should be the same.
I'm going to have to retract my statement.

I just had to replace my Yuasa after only 18 months. The last one only lasted 18 months as well. Thought I was buying a great battery, but we'll see. I bought a cheapo this time and I'll check back in 18 months. But I bet it lasts longer.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm going to have to retract my statement.

I just had to replace my Yuasa after only 18 months. The last one only lasted 18 months as well. Thought I was buying a great battery, but we'll see. I bought a cheapo this time and I'll check back in 18 months. But I bet it lasts longer.
That's strange.
No concerns about your scoot's electrical system?

Stig

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That's strange.
No concerns about your scoot's electrical system?

Stig
Concerns... Yes. Hence the reason for a cheapo battery. If it goes quickly, I’ll have my answer. But she’ll run all day with no problems. And I’d charge it with a tender, and it’d still be dead after not running for a week. Something tells me it’s either the battery or something drawing on it continuously, perhaps the gps power cord or something.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Concerns... Yes. Hence the reason for a cheapo battery. If it goes quickly, I’ll have my answer. But she’ll run all day with no problems. And I’d charge it with a tender, and it’d still be dead after not running for a week. Something tells me it’s either the battery or something drawing on it continuously, perhaps the gps power cord or something.
Be aware that these are “recombinant“ batteries - so they do not like to be overcharged.
They will lose internal pressure that is required for recombination and become inefficient.
As it has happened more than once, I’d look at the charging system/tender and make sure it isn’t overcharging.

(Also never open them or they will be poisoned)

With the ignition off your system should only leak something like 3mA unless you have aftermarket alarms etc

1 - 20 of 22 Posts