Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally did it. My Bettella Varimax arrived yesterday. The final price including shipping was EUR 198. Another $35 for my bank to make the wire transfer via the Swift (interbank) payment system. Expensive, yes . . .

Now, I'm not sure whether or not to do the installation myself. I've been quoted $72/hr. for labor (1 1/2 hrs estimate), but most of the shops that will do it here are booked up through next week. I'm a little put off because only 1 of the 3 seems really interested in doing the work.

I've seen the pics from other members on Bettella and Malossi. The Bettella provided instructions are somewhat decent . . . My question is, how difficult is it really to properly do this mod?

I'd consider my mechanical ability to be moderate, but I haven't done this type of work before. Since I'm doing this to improve performance, one major concern is properly fitting the belt back on. Also, I will either need to rent or buy the air wrench and I guess a vise.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
atl_ronb wrote (snipped)
I'd consider my mechanical ability to be moderate
I would say give it a try, you sound smart enought to know if you get in over your head, and any work you do removing "tupperwear" ect. will save you money at the shop...
Even if you don't succeed you will learn something, and that makes it worth while trying. :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Have a go yourself it is quie straightforward.

You can get visual help form the gallery:

some of the prep stages are shown in my gallery (signature block) and the varaitor installation is shown in this gallery album

Julian Bond has done a veery nicely illustrated article on the processhere

Have fun - you will soon be an 'expert'. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gents. That little inner voice kept nagging at me not to proceed, so I decided to let the shop do this one and am glad I did. Apparently, the instructions were poor and I got a call a short time ago from them. It's not clear on what to do with the original slider retainer cover that bolts on to the variator housing & keeps the rollers from falling out. The new kit doesn't have any holes drilled to fit that back on. From the links on the Malossi mod, it looks like it doesn't go back on. We took a look at the pics and tentatively came to that conclusion. Hopefully, were right . . .

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Glad to hear it all worked out - and glad all the clues were in the gallery! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts