Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

New used Burgman 400 & MPG

16K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Dave_J 
#1 ·
New to the forum, but I just wanted to say hello and ask a quick question. I purchased a 2008 Burgman 400 with 600 miles on it and I'm happy with it so far as it's a nice compliment to my little Elite 110, but the gas mileage seems a little low (low 50's so far). So my question is, is that so unusual (not sure how it was broken in as it was previously owned by an older lady) as most of my trips are farily short (less than 5 miles on city streets), lots of riding two up (300 lbs. combined weight), and its winter? I guess I was hoping to get closer to 60 mpg, maybe a new air filter and spark plugs might help, but I did read something here about break binding (is that an issue on the 2008's?).

#2 ·
With a lot of short rides of 5 miles or less you can expect lower millage. The engine does not get completely warmed up and the Fuel Injection is set to provide a richer mixture until the engine warms up, especially in cold weather. The fact that it is city riding with a lot of stop and go doesn't help either.

Reactions: s-steel
#3 ·
^+1, with what you describe "most of my trips are farily short (less than 5 miles on city streets), lots of riding two up (300 lbs. combined weight), and its winter?" you are experiencing what is to be expected. In addition to the cooler engine and ambient temps, stop-and-go traffic requires more fuel than cruising. Also at speeds under 40-45 mph the CVT never makes the transition to an overdrive ratio, which also further increases fuel consumption.

Keep in mind too that you've got a 460 pound (760 lb two-up), 400 cc machine. Many lighter-weight 250 cc scooters can only deliver 60-65 mpg when riding one-up in city traffic...

#5 ·
It takes more than 5 miles before you'll begin watching your MPG go up. I have a 30 mile commute. It isn't till I'm about half-way along, ie, 15 miles down the road, before I start watching the MPG readout climb. It takes awhile to overcome the effect of idling in traffic and the stop lights on the way to the freeway onramp.

So relax and enjoy your new 400!

Chris

#6 ·
Thanks for the input as I think Dabo has it right, "relax and enjoy the new 400". :D

Next worry, will be what top case to get as I'm thinking Givi V46 with the Admore lighthing kit.

#7 ·
My personal preference is for the Givi e470 or e450... If you're looking to buy anything Givi, I highly recommend Kiwi Dave. His customer service is great and I've never heard of a problem on the forum with anyone dealing with him. And his prices are lower than anyone else's.

Chris

#8 ·
It usually takes about 500 miles for brake pads to seat in. And your engine is still breaking in. I have a 2011 400 ABS and at 1050 miles it is still breaking in. I have averaged 56 mpg but I bought it in November and the weather has been cool to cold. I think it will get better, but I am not worried.

My 257cc scooter (JCL MP250A) has a lifetime average of 75 MPG over almost 19,000 miles. Still going strong too, but it only weighs 250 lbs dry, and has seen many more highway miles than the AN400L1 thus far.

Enjoy the ride, and have you noticed, that the days are starting to get longer. :cheers:

#9 ·
50's seems about right considering you are not yet broken in. I have an 06 with about 6200 miles on the clock and I average 55-60 in town. That is for short run driving that rarely exceeds 45 with plenty of stopping at traffic lights. I'm not out on the highway much but when I am or am able to take longer runs up and down the beach by our condo, it runs 65 to 70 mpg. I would imagine that your mileage would be about the same after break in. Even if my mileage was half what it is, the fun factor of riding the bike would be worth it so I look at the mileage as a bonus.

#10 ·
2008 with only 600 miles on it you lucky thing.. the beastie isnot even ridden in.. 800 miles isnot it? I bought mine with 700 miles on it two years ago and it was immaculate.. only been taken out to ride in..lol sadly she has a few more miles on it.. and battle scars, as for your mileage, its all a matter of riding, on long runs fully packed up with topbox, and panniers.. if I stick to 55mph i can get a nice steady 70mpg even had rides at 80mpg but if i have to overtake or get hogged on the Mway.. in the end I zap away from the traffic.. mpg 55-60 then... speeding.. i..e running like a bat out of hell... oh dear mpg is sad............... but my adrenaline is high and happy.. :p

#11 ·
Chris,

Thanks for the recommendation for Kiwi Dave. Also, I noticed you did a review for the Givi Airflow windshield, are you still happy with it?

Mark

#12 ·
To Paula4u,

Yes, I feel lucky to have landed a low miles Burgman as I plan to make plenty of use. Unfortunately, mine was not in perfect condition, but close enough that it'll lead to lots of miles of smiles. Oh, to get 70 mph would really leave me smiling, but I'll be happy with 60 and 55 around town :D

#13 ·
Myotonic Rider said:
Even if my mileage was half what it is, the fun factor of riding the bike would be worth it so I look at the mileage as a bonus.
This is true, as I have found myself smiling quite often when riding to work. But, it only increases when I know I'm getting great gas mileage, but compared to my cage which gets around 20 mph in town, I guess I really can't complain about low 50's.

#14 ·
Yes, I'm still happy with the Givi Adjustable (AIRFLOW) windshield. When I bought the 2008 400 and sold the 2007 400, there were a few things that were transferred from the old to the new. The Givi AIRFLOW windshield was the first, the Dr. Pulley HiT clutch was the second and the beaded seat cover was the third. :)

The 70-80 mpg that Paula4u gets is in Imperial gallons. It makes a difference. However, I've consistently hit the high 60's and low 70's on occasion, when on a trip where I can minimize throttle changes. If gas hits $5 a gallon here in the USA, you'll be very happy to have a 400.

Chris

#15 ·
IntRunner40 said:
New to the forum, but I just wanted to say hello and ask a quick question. I purchased a 2008 Burgman 400 with 600 miles on it and I'm happy with it so far as it's a nice compliment to my little Elite 110, but the gas mileage seems a little low (low 50's so far). So my question is, is that so unusual (not sure how it was broken in as it was previously owned by an older lady) as most of my trips are farily short (less than 5 miles on city streets), lots of riding two up (300 lbs. combined weight), and its winter? I guess I was hoping to get closer to 60 mpg, maybe a new air filter and spark plugs might help, but I did read something here about break binding (is that an issue on the 2008's?).
I can't comment for sure about your gas mileage as I don't yet have my Burgman, but as others are saying, your engine is very tight still (not broken in). You may know this but it will improve as the miles go on the engine, they all do. Power output will improve too. May I suggest, if you are not already doing it, to take your bike on some longer runs at varying speeds to allow the engine to continue proper break-in. Short trips are not so good for breaking in an engine as this is best done with oil and engine real hot to allow some minor metal to metal contact in the key load bearing area's in the engine. This is what breaks an engine in to allow it to perform properly with performance and gas mileage. Short trips don't get things hotted up enough for this to happen easily. I appreciate you may already know this stuff. It's good to say it all again though as some folk reading this may find it helpful.

I'm still waiting to take delivery of my 400 so no doubt I will be finding out, like you what gas mileage it's capable of quite soon.

#16 ·
I just ran my first calculated tank of gas through my new 2011. With less then 300 miles on it with some two up riding my first tank went 190 miles on 3.1 gal 61.29 MPG I am happy with that. Dash readout was on 58.3 so it did better then the readout, both tanks topped to the limit.

Eric

#17 ·
TheBreeze said:
I just ran my first calculated tank of gas through my new 2011. With less then 300 miles on it with some two up riding my first tank went 190 miles on 3.1 gal 61.29 MPG I am happy with that. Dash readout was on 58.3 so it did better then the readout, both tanks topped to the limit.

Eric
That 4mpg differance between the dash & actual is normal for the 400's. Been keeping track of mine for 40k+ miles now. :wink:

#18 ·
Thanks for the responses as I guess I'm truly the newbie. Anyways, last tank of gas with similar riding came in at 55.4 mpg (indicator showed about 51.3) & this past weekend I ran it for close to 100 miles of riding two up, on country roads, and the indicator is showing 59.2 mpg (so I'm guess I might be in the 60's with this tank). Also, I noticed an improvement on my little Honda Elite 110 lately so I'm guessing the summer formulation of gas must be out which can only help. :D

#19 ·
Mpg

Hi, my burgman 400 2012 doesn't make more than 40 MPG and suzuki service says that it is normal with cold weather. I have about 8 centigrades now here, what is your consumption in similar conditions? I have the arrow indicator that moves from 1500 to 1750 rpm when the engine is warm.

#20 ·
Hi, my burgman 400 2012 doesn't make more than 40 MPG and suzuki service says that it is normal with cold weather. I have about 8 centigrades now here, what is your consumption in similar conditions? I have the arrow indicator that moves from 1500 to 1750 rpm when the engine is warm.
I sold my Burgman this past August as I had to make room for a new bike, but I am happy to say that the low mileage I had that first winter increased to an average of over 62 mpg for the 7000+ miles I rode the scoot with several 70 mpg tanks. So relax as better mpg days will be in you future.

#22 ·
Hello. I had a 05 400 that got between 60 and 70 mpg depending on how I rode it. get about 3000 miles on it and check it again. also injectors to get dirty by sitting. 600 miles is pretty low for how old it tis. Put 1 or 2 ounces of injector cleaner in it at each fill up. It should improve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.