Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm not much in favor of triking anything but a Goldwing, I just think it is too much money invested in a scooter that could never be recouped when selling it. Sure there is a big difference in the cost of triking a Goldwing vs. a Burgman, but purchasing a used Goldwing trike would make more sense to me. We all know that Burgman's are not the best resale vehicle out there, but the Goldwing is much better when it comes to dollar value, plus at 80,000 miles the Goldwing is just about broke in mechanically and ready to ride for a lot more miles. There are other things to, the Goldwing would offer much more in comfort for both the driver and passenger, intercom system, AM-FM radio CB, power reverse, and better wind protection are just some of the features you would get. I also see that the kit has a chain drive, isn't that going backwards from the way the Burgman is today, I'd personally want a drive shaft in a trike for sure.

John

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If one want a trike, the only way to go from an economic standpoint is to buy one that someone else has already done. Let someone else take the big financial hit and suffer through the problems and adjustments that there will surely be. I agree that a used Goldwing is a good way to go if you want a trike. However, it takes the space of a car to park it and according to riders I have talked with, the fuel mileage is around 30 when traveling. The Can-Am Spyder has the same problems.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The key in Wes's post was the leader ' For those interested....'

It is axiomatic that not everyone will be.

Lack of interest or even intense dislike, is not testament that the information or proposal is unworthy in any way.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well said Norm! I am just sharing info, not endorsing anything.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Looks much better than most I have seen. Just putting two extra wheels on does NOT make a Trike -- it makes a Quad, which could be considered a open car and subject to the laws for cars.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was driving down US301 in Florida a few years back when, a bit north of Gainesville, I pulled up to a stop light with a guy who had pods on either side which lowered when he slowed down and raised when he took off. Each pod had a small rubber wheel which kept the bike stable even at a dead stop. I didn't talk to him; just pointed and gave a thumbs-up. But it's the only time I've ever seen such a thing - not even an ad. Perhaps it was a one-off done by engineers at the University. It was VERY cool though.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Thanks for the link, Redbeard!

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I need landing gear just to walk. :twisted:
I have landing gear to just walk...

Commonly called a cane. :D

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
10 Posts
To each his own I guess but it is my humble opinion that since the Burgman was not designed to be a trike, adding a kit for the money you mention just doesn't make sense. For safety, longevity, riding comfort, storage, and the coolness factor I'd much prefer to buy a real trike like a FLHXXX Triglide. Yes, I know that the cost is way more but you get a frame that is designed to carry the trike's loading and stress and the brakes to stop the additional weight. Go ahead, you know you want to.....

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
To each his own I guess but it is my humble opinion that since the Burgman was not designed to be a trike, adding a kit for the money you mention just doesn't make sense. For safety, longevity, riding comfort, storage, and the coolness factor I'd much prefer to buy a real trike like a FLHXXX Triglide. Yes, I know that the cost is way more but you get a frame that is designed to carry the trike's loading and stress and the brakes to stop the additional weight. Go ahead, you know you want to.....
I would probably opt for a Can-Am Spyder if I wanted three wheels. However, I would probably get a Miata instead.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
When get 80 y.o. anyone could get on step through Burgman trike, few could do this with Goldwing trike unless come with mounting elevator.

If that what need to continue riding past 80, then will purchase Burgman trike.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I'm not much in favor of triking anything but a Goldwing, I just think it is too much money invested in a scooter that could never be recouped when selling it. Sure there is a big difference in the cost of triking a Goldwing vs. a Burgman, but purchasing a used Goldwing trike would make more sense to me. We all know that Burgman's are not the best resale vehicle out there, but the Goldwing is much better when it comes to dollar value, plus at 80,000 miles the Goldwing is just about broke in mechanically and ready to ride for a lot more miles. There are other things to, the Goldwing would offer much more in comfort for both the driver and passenger, intercom system, AM-FM radio CB, power reverse, and better wind protection are just some of the features you would get. I also see that the kit has a chain drive, isn't that going backwards from the way the Burgman is today, I'd personally want a drive shaft in a trike for sure.

John
John, I have been thinking about your post since you made it. If I were to reach the point that I would need a trike the Burgman would be the first bike to come to mind for me to trike. The reason? No hand clutch. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and bad hands and just can't pull a clutch anymore without severe pain in the base joint of my thumbs. I have been riding motorcycles most of my life and giving them up aren't even an option for me. So if I should reach the point to where I can't balance the Burgie with my wife and I on it, a trike kit for my Burgie is the answer.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
John, I have been thinking about your post since you made it. If I were to reach the point that I would need a trike the Burgman would be the first bike to come to mind for me to trike. The reason? No hand clutch. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and bad hands and just can't pull a clutch anymore without severe pain in the base joint of my thumbs. I have been riding motorcycles most of my life and giving them up aren't even an option for me. So if I should reach the point to where I can't balance the Burgie with my wife and I on it, a trike kit for my Burgie is the answer.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
Another (but expensive) option would be a Can Am Spyder with automatic transmission and power steering. It also has reverse.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Another (but expensive) option would be a Can Am Spyder with automatic transmission and power steering. It also has reverse.
I have a friend who had one of those until last August. He also has RA. He sold his CanAm because it was getting harder and harder for him to mount and dismount it. I tried it before he sold his, I had trouble getting on and off it too. And yes, you are right. They are pricy. I am trying to not burn through money. When we take money out of savings it is not going to be replaced as we are retired. We hope that money in our retirement accounts will last us for a long time. Right now we are living off of the interest from the accounts along with our Social Security. We were smart and put lots into our retirement while we were still working. We both retired early.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

1 - 18 of 18 Posts