Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi Guys
I've just fitted a new TomTom Rider 550 to my B650, using a RAM mount onto the right side brake reservoir.
Very easy to install, and I fed the power cord down to the cigarette lighter in the glove box..... drilled a small hole thought the Tupperware, down through the storage compartment and snugged off the hole with a rubber grommet, then soldered in an after market fused plug to the socket.
Very happy, apart from the GPS vibrating a lot when riding..... not a great issue for me as I use a set of blue tooth ear buds..... any suggestions for maybe damping the unit to minimise the vibrations would be appreciated.
cheers from Downunder…

Attachments

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,925 Posts
Nicely done.
Don't know what you can do to stop the vibes though. :dontknow:

· Registered
2,091 Posts
Oz

What do you call the power cable connectors in the picture? I need to do surgery on my Garmin power cable so I can remove the GPS mount when not in use - which is most of the time.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jeff.... I'm guessing that you are referring to the connector shown in the first pic below, about 3 inches down from the GPS unit.
That is a standard factory wired fitting that comes with the TomTom GPS.
I don't disconnect this fitting when I remove the unit.... there is a quick release catch, shown in the next pic, also a standard feature on the TomTom Rider series.
cheers Ian

Attachments

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi Saloei..... cables not hidden, but tied off so as not to be too messy..... the plate on the resovoir is a RAM mount.... pretty common add on for Burgmans...
and you have an interesting name..... may I ask where is home for you.
cheers Ian

· Premium Member
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
1,200 Posts
I don't have any mounts for a GPS on mine so I ask out of ignorance. I have seen some of the ball mounts that actually are replacement covers for the reservoirs as opposed to being a bracket attached to the cover by screws. Could that extra bracket be the cause of the vibration in the mount? I have been trying to decide what type of mount I want when I do put the GPS on it.

· Registered
2,925 Posts
The bracket itself doesn't vibrate any more than the reservoir does. Every RAM (brand) ball mount I've used has some vibration with it. That's because the ball is made of rubber, and the arm that is clamped to it is clamping another rubber ball at the other end. So between those 2 rubber balls there is bound to be some vibration. The arm that goes between is aluminum or composite and has a large thumb screw to tighten it but making it tighter does nothing to stop any vibration that will happen. I find that using the shortest arm possible with the base ball mounted as solidly as possible is the only way to minimize vibrations to acceptable levels. Using a longer arm just to position the device more conveniently may produce much more vibrations than desired. If my phone or GPS does not vibrate more than my mirrors (2013 B650) then I am good. That's why I like any device I may need to look at once in a while to be at the top of the dash near my line of sight of the road. Or at least no more offset than the dash instruments. Therefore I avoid mounting GPS or phone used for navigation anywhere below the line of sight to the speedo and tach... like in the center between the handlebars (did that and hated it for taking my eyes totally OFF the road). My last bike I mounted my GPS just off to one side next to and in front of the left reservoir where line of sight to it was directly next to my speedo. That was OK but not as good as I have it now... top center of the dash.

Oh, and smoother roads cause the least vibration.

· Premium Member
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
1,200 Posts
I see, thanks for the info rjs987. I have seen pics of the GPS mounted between the bars on the cover. I only saw pics but I didn't like it. I am still trying to decide where to put one. I would like to go above the dials and centered but the mount escapes me right now. I need to spend some quality time in the garage to come up with something.

· Registered
2,091 Posts
Hi Jeff.... I'm guessing that you are referring to the connector shown in the first pic below, about 3 inches down from the GPS unit.
That is a standard factory wired fitting that comes with the TomTom GPS.
I don't disconnect this fitting when I remove the unit.... there is a quick release catch, shown in the next pic, also a standard feature on the TomTom Rider series.
cheers Ian

Thanks. My Garmin cable is a solid run from the power source to the GPS mounting bracket. The GPS unit itself has a quick release, but I'm looking to add the fittings so by bracket can be easily removed. (I'll use your photo as an example of what I want to do when I shop for parts!)

Jeff

· Registered
583 Posts
I would like to go above the dials and centered but the mount escapes me right now. I need to spend some quality time in the garage to come up with something.
What about something like this?

You can clamp on it everything made for handlebars.
It's still a prototype and i'll redo it this winter, but i could'nt be more happy.

· Registered
199 Posts
hi Saloei..... cables not hidden, but tied off so as not to be too messy..... the plate on the resovoir is a RAM mount.... pretty common add on for Burgmans...
and you have an interesting name..... may I ask where is home for you.
cheers Ian
Thanks, I'm in NJ, USA. The name is originally Zaloei. It was someone I knew. I just changed the Z to an S.

I managed to find that plate searching for Ram plate Reservoir.

· Premium Member
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
1,200 Posts
What about something like this?
You can clamp on it everything made for handlebars.
It's still a prototype and i'll redo it this winter, but i could'nt be more happy.
Yea I like that. Keeps the stuff centered and about line of sight. Keep us posted on how you like it and if it needs tweaks. I am not sure how it mounts but it is clean looking mount.

· Registered
2,925 Posts
I see, thanks for the info rjs987. I have seen pics of the GPS mounted between the bars on the cover. I only saw pics but I didn't like it. I am still trying to decide where to put one. I would like to go above the dials and centered but the mount escapes me right now. I need to spend some quality time in the garage to come up with something.
Did you see my thread on my mounting?

Install of RAM mount and power cord for my Burgman 650

-

Attachments

· Registered
583 Posts

· Registered
583 Posts
Yea I like that. Keeps the stuff centered and about line of sight. Keep us posted on how you like it and if it needs tweaks. I am not sure how it mounts but it is clean looking mount.
https://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-bu...2/169935-my-diy-support-handlebar-clamps.html
Ok, i have a bit more time now for a better answer:
It worked really, really well. No vibrations, no problems, nothing.
Still, i'll rebuild it this winter 'cause:

- the two supports bends a bit all the upper cover, and i don't like it. i'll need someone that can work metal plates, and i'll build two supports that will be fixed in the rear mirror screws and with two nuts right behing the vertical part of the cover (where the mirrors go when folded).
So it will look like this:

(in black and much more better)

- i'll use the two top "bar" solution instead of the single central one: the two corners are not usable as everything will hit the windshield and the oil reservoir when the handlebar is full turned, so the central room is much more valuable.

- the nylon bar is somewhat damaged (just aesthetically) from me for searching the right temp, and i also hope to find a larger one, even if this works well.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi Blacktruck…. I think rjs987 has pretty comprehensibly explained how things work. I have not seen a fitting that replaces the reservoir cover.... I'm pretty sure that all RAM mounts fit on top the existing cover, just replacing the fixing screws and a rubber damping grommet between the RAM plate and the reservoir cover.
I have worked out that if I set the short RAM arm in a sort of "gooseneck" shape between the mounting plate and the GPS unit, the vibration is minimal.... so I'm happy now.
Thanks to all for comments and feedback.
cheers Ian

· Registered
571 Posts
After some experimenting, I found that the easiest solution was to install a secondary cigarette lighter socket under the front lower panel and route the cable under the handle cover. I used USB-A to USB-C cable. It allowed me to power both an old TomTom GPS and an iPhone (using a small USB-C to Lightning or USB-C to Mini USB adapter.)

· Premium Member
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
1,200 Posts
After some experimenting, I found that the easiest solution was to install a secondary cigarette lighter socket under the front lower panel and route the cable under the handle cover. I used USB-A to USB-C cable. It allowed me to power both an old TomTom GPS and an iPhone (using a small USB-C to Lightning or USB-C to Mini USB adapter.)
Looks good. Clean installation and functional. I like it. I still need to buy a GPS for my bike. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around something other than a paper map. I've used GPS fairly extensively in my past but just didn't get one for myself.
Thanks for sharing the info and picture.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.