Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not ridden two wheels with motor in over 30 years. Just picked up new 2004 650. Weather stinks in Maryland this time of year but bearing with the cold and getting back into riding. So far no falls and happy with this machine.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums. Glad to have you join us.

Congratulations on the new Burgman 650. Hopefully it'll be a short winter so you can start racking up some miles. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome

Thanks for the welcome Bill. New to this forum as well and have already learned things I did not know I needed.

Happy riding.

Glen

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
I know what you mean Glen. Not only did the forum help me choose to get the Burgman ... it's given me a rather long 'wish list' to go with it. :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Welcome to the forum Glen :hello2:

Yeah the weather sucks here too at the moment :cry: Actually the weather always sucks here - but the combination of ice and salt is the big no no.

After such a long lay off (I had a 20 year lay off too) - have you taken any training and do you have to be re-licensed? I had to regain my motorcycle licence and the accompanying training was a bit of an eye-opener. It has been most useful to me but I often reflect on my so called skills of 20 years ago and wonder how I survived - guess I was lucky!

Look forward to hearing more from you. :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Glen and welcome to the forum :wave:

Congrats on the new 650 and welcome back to the 2 wheeled world.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Glen! Welcome to the Forum. Nicest people on two wheels.
Hey, Saturday was one of the nicest riding days in our area for some time. Today would be a good day to take a short ride if the rain holds off.
Strongly recommend you take MD's Beginning Rider's Course this Spring. Best investment of time and money you can make. Try to sign up ASAP as the slots fill up fast. Check with DMV in your town.
Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi and welcome, Glen.

Envy your location; you're in the "foothills" of some great hilly and rural riding. Spent several years riding between College Park and Frostburg. Have actually spent hours in the winter watching cars sliding down the "hills" of Frostburg and Cumberland. But come spring and summer, it's fantastic riding.

You'd do well to take riding course first, though. Let us know how the lardy does in the hills.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Glen, welcome aboard. I spent about 30 years in Anne Arundel County working for the govt but came back to N.C. after retiring. Having spent more years of my life in Md than N.C. I still feel that Md. is "home", but I don't miss either Baltimore or D.C. Rode many a mile out your way and further west as well as the easter shore area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome..

Hi Glen,
Hey you've got a gift - with the weather - this January! If I had a "new" ride, I'd be taking some time off, buy better jacket/suit, and my wife would hear something like," see ya - whenever..."! Best wishes with your new wheels the weather etc. Enjoy!

Rob

·
Registered
466 Posts
Greetings,

Welcome to the group. I live in California but my family is from Westminster. In fact you can see 10 generations of my family at the cemetry at Kriders church off of 97. We are there every summer. You'll have fun with the Burgman it's just perfect for riding around there.

Thanx,
Russ Schaeffer (The Schaeffer's of Westminster)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome aboard Glen!

Similar circumstance for me with a long layoff before riding again. This forum not only has great info but the people are friendly too! Used to spend my summers at Fort Meade/Laurel as a kid and now I spend alot of time in Western MD at Deep Creek Lake. How is the traffic where you live. I would shudder if I had to ride the Beltway and I-95 @ rush hour in anything less than a tank! With a tank I could have some fun. :D

Hope the snow blows through fast for you so that you can enjoy the Burg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the warm and informative welcome.

Thank you Norman. I plan on taking the first available course which is in the spring. I will need to be lucky to get a spot in the state course but the Harley dealers offer courses as well.

I need all the training I can get and especially after reading post on this forum.

Glen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply

Thanks DonRich90. I did make it out for a few hours on New Years Day. Aside from great weather there was little traffic and was able to do some of the rural roads. Need the training and hope to get into the Maryland course. If not I will try for one of the Harley courses.

Glen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Foothills

BS, this part of Maryland has nothing but rolling hills and nothing like over in Cumberland. I won't try even getting that way until I have had one of the courses and lots more local driving. Out last Saturday and no problem with the grades and banking around here.

Glen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maryland Home

Ted Clement I work in Anne Arundel County and do the beltway, 795 and 140 every day. Moved here from central Florida after 30 years in good biking weather and waited until I was here to try again. Looking forward to training and spring.

Glen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Time Off

RobK, weather has been unusually warm but lots of rain. No fun in that and not yet ready to risk getting caught in it. Might make it into the 50
s this weekend and if no rain will get out.

Glen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Westminster

Russ, Moved here four years ago after 30 years in Florida. Family loves it here but they don't have to drive to work. I am about 1 mile off 97 and when the sun comes out again will take a ride up to Kriders Church. Your right about this area being great for riding but traffic getting tough.

Glen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Deep Creek Lake

Doctor K

Beautiful out there and hope to be up to speed by spring to tour around that area on the 650.

Traffic is becoming overwhelming. It takes me 1.5 to 2 hours to go 38 miles on the beltway each morning. Carroll County is the bedroom for the BWI high tech area. No snow yet and hope it comes and goes quickly.

Glen

·
Registered
125 Posts
Newbie from Maryland

Hey Glen,

Welcome to Burgmanland!. I live in Ellicott City and work in Owings Mills. I got my 650 in July from C&L Cycle in Eldersburg. I've been in Maryland for 35 years and have been riding for 40 so know most of the backroads around here. I invite you to join me for a ride and I'll give you the grand tour!

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts