Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just discovered this awesome website last night and spent 6 hours pouring through all the great material (until 1:30 am). I saw my first Burgman last week at a nearby shopping center and knew, that at least on a emotional level, I found my next bike. But I needed some more input before making any decisions.

I looked at the Canadian and American Suzuki websites, and although I could get basic information, I could not find any of the real answers that I needed (like how do your service the thing or what does it look like without it's skin?). But I have found those answers and more here. It's simply amazing how much information that is on this site and how well everyone seems to want to help and encourage each other.

My wife and I have been waffling for a couple of years now between a Honda Goldwing or a HD Ultra-Classic . We liked both bikes a lot, but living on Vancouver Island means that we can't easily take long trips unless part of the day is spent on the ferry to the B.C. mainland.

In the days before our kids arrived (20 years ago), we would take a month off and tour the country side with our bike and trailer, but now we only have a couple of days off at a time, so it just didn't seem very sensible to spend $30,000 for what would be (most of the time) a short-haul bike. Yet, we wanted something comfortable for these middle-aged butts that could go the distance if we went up-island or maybe even further afield to Alberta or Washington State.

From what I can gleen from this website, the Burgman AN-650 seems to be the answer to my prayers. Inexpensive, comfortable and very versatile. At least now, when I go to the local dealer (who doesn't have a 650 at the moment), I will know what I am talking about.

Now, If could just find out what Suzuki has up their sleeve for 2005. For me, that would be a electric movable windshield like the Honda ST1300, a bright yellow paint job, plugs for heated vests, heated handgrips and a standard back rest for the passenger.

Thanks again for an excellent website! :eek:

vfdcaptain

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums. Always glad to have new potential riders join our friendly group. If Suzuki decides to release the Burgman Executive in your market, some the options you listed (heated handgrips, passenger backrest) are standard on that model. The plugs for the heated vest are a simple modification. The adjustable windscreen would be GREAT! No clues yet what the color options will be. Personally, I'd like either Yellow or Pearl White.

Glad to have you with us,

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. Do you know when Suzuki traditionally announces their new models? From what I can see on the Canadian site, I can get the Burgman in silver or blue. My wife likes the blue, but I am willing to wait to see what colors and changes are happening for 2005. I used to ride my bike 365 days of the year in Victoria because the weather is so mild, and I probably would do the same with the Burgman.

By the way, where did they get that name?

vfdcaptain

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Another welcome! - WELCOME

I believe Suzuki will make their 2005 plan clear in September of this year.

Colours - who knows they are a curious bunch when it comes to colours.

I doubt if your accessory wish list will be fulfilled, but it is a great bike as is. You will get all the help you need on this forum in adapting it to your needs (well standfast motorizing the screen). From the sounds of your intended use you will need a topbox and the Givi E52 (takes 2 full face helmets) seems to be favourite - this may affect how you implement the passenger backrest.

The Burgman name - its called a Skywave in Japan - and Burgman ain't no translation. There have been lots of discussion on this and other fora with (I do not think) any conclusions that have provenance.

Good luck in hunting down the Burger of your choice - please keep posting if you have any further queries before (and after) you buy.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
You will! (Not an if but a when!)

But we will still be paying more and in proportion to the current difference. :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum :wave: Good luck in your search.

We should have 2005 info probably by the end of September. Everyone is curious as to what they are doing. I'm expecting them to offer the base 650 similar to the 03 and 04 models and also the Executive which was released to Japan and Europe last year.

Sounds like the 650 will suit your needs better than a Goldwing at this point in time.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This is a great group here! I have had my 650 for about 3 or 4 weeks and just passed 500 miles. I love it more each time I ride.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,
Just received this in reply to an e-mail that I sent to Suzuki Canada last night. Doesn't sound like I am going to be able to buy an Executive. I think Suzuki is missing a big opportunity here. :?

Thank you for your email.

Currenty, there are no plans to introduce the Burgman Executive to the Suzuki Canada Inc. motorcycle line-up.

Your interest in the Burgman Executive will be forwarded to our product planning department for their information and future consideration.

Thank you for your interest in Suzuki products.

Regards,
Customer Relations
Relations à la clientèle
SUZUKI CANADA INC.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
Hi all,
Just received this in reply to an e-mail that I sent to Suzuki Canada last night. Doesn't sound like I am going to be able to buy an Executive. I think Suzuki is missing a big opportunity here. :?

Thank you for your email.

Currenty, there are no plans to introduce the Burgman Executive to the Suzuki Canada Inc. motorcycle line-up.

Your interest in the Burgman Executive will be forwarded to our product planning department for their information and future consideration.

Thank you for your interest in Suzuki products.

Regards,
Customer Relations
Relations à la clientèle
SUZUKI CANADA INC.
Yeah - that was probably written by some low grade clerk :roll: - clearing the in-tray. Lets see what the end of September brings :wink:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sure hope so. After reading up on the Executive last night on Suzuki's worldwide website, it sure doesn't make sense to me not to bring it in. The Burgman seems to be a good product and you'd think that they would strike while the market is ripe for a great all-round bike and capture more market share. 8)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Just re-reading the email - well if the last paragraph is true - all those forum members who have one iota of interest (even remote) in the ABS version should bombard that desk with requests for US release date!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Not sure- I think we need Pauljo's help here.

I think a poll may be best and then 'we' could send an email link to Suzuki.

But they may think that is a set up and individual emails may have more gravitas.

I will PM Pauljo.

NormanB

·
Registered
355 Posts
Individual Emails are OK, better than a poll, but emails do not carry much weight.

An actual piece of mail, a letter or even better a postcard (with an image that represents where you are from) can really get attention.

Perhaps a letter/postcard type campaign asking for more options (windscreen, exhaust, sound system etc) and/or the Executive could be done. Might be fun to see if we can get some results. At least Product Marketing at Suzuki will see that the Burgman inspires interest, even passion.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
I think a poll may be best and then 'we' could send an email link to Suzuki.

But they may think that is a set up and individual emails may have more gravitas.
You could set up a poll, run it for a while, and see what the responses tally out to be. Put the poll in the Burgman 650 topic area. It would be interesting to see how many members really want the Executive Model released in North America.

The problem with this plan is that Suzuki USA does not want email interaction with Customer Service. But we could "snail mail" them with an invitation to look at the poll (and the forum's Feedback to Suzuki category as well).

The best options for voicing your interest in the Executive model would be to call, or snail mail them individually.

Please see the following link for their contact policies:

Contact Suzuki Customer Service

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
Perhaps a letter/postcard type campaign asking for more options (windscreen, exhaust, sound system etc) and/or the Executive could be done.
I'd suggest that we stick to asking for the Executive at this point. There are several 3rd partys that offer windscreen, exhaust, etc for the Burgman line. I think it's better to focus our effort on things we can only get from Suzuki.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree. Most organizations are not too concerned about e-mail, but snail mail does seem to get their attention (that's especially true with Government).

If we want the Executive in North America, then we are going to have to write individually. I am sending my letter off tomorrow to Suzuki Canada.

"The squeeky wheel does indeed get the grease!"

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
Most organizations are not too concerned about e-mail,
Yep. I recently did email support for a company for seven months. They had hundreds of folks doing that. You'd skim the email for content & select the appropriate canned response from a library of canned responses. Speed was everything. If you took the time to really think about it and to key up an intelligent response from scratch, your stats would drop below the acceptable level. Keeping email backlog to less than 24 hours was the goal. Phone support was about the same. You had about three minutes to get a customer off the phone and take the next call, or your stats would suffer. Advancement was largely dependent on stats. Even keeping your job was somewhat dependent on stats.

I had taken an early retirement from a career in data processing, and thought that a customer support job would be a nice way to supplement my retirement income. I thought I could help some folks while I was at it. Not at all what it turned out to be.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
Hi everyone! I just discovered this awesome website last night and spent 6 hours pouring through all the great material (until 1:30 am). I saw my first Burgman last week at a nearby shopping center and knew, that at least on a emotional level, I found my next bike.

...we wanted something comfortable for these middle-aged butts that could go the distance if we went up-island or maybe even further afield to Alberta or Washington State.
Greeting, vfdcaptain, and welcome to the site. :hello2:

There are several of us BurgmanUSA members here in Washington, and at least a couple in B.C. if I recall.

The 650 is a great touring machine. I've been to Eastern Washington twice in the last three months, up to the Olympic mountains once, and on Saturday I start my longest ride yet; a "Border-to-Border" ride from the Peace Arch Park at the Blaine US/Canadian border crossing to the Mexican border at San Diego, California.

Anyway, welcome and I hope to see you on the road on a 650 someday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts