Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, name is Geoff. I am from Alliston, Ontario, a small but growing town that is about 40 minutes north of Toronto.

After riding various bikes for over 25 years, an injury to my left foot last year has left me unable (currently) to shift a bike properly. Last year, after many years of bugging her, my wife took lessons and got her motorcycle license. She chose a used 2007 Piaggio MP3 as her first ride. I have to admit, I has an absolute ball twisting and going when ever I hopped on her scoot.

So this spring, I was forced to sell my pride and joy; my 2003 Vulcan 1500 Nomad FI. It was bitter-sweet, but it sold very quickly for my asking price.

But, as you can probably surmise, I discovered the Burgman. This past weekend, I bought a nice 2005 Burgman 650 with only 9500km and in great shape overall, and I am VERY excited to pick it up in the coming days.

Every time I tell people about it, I say something about hopefully one day being able to shift gears and get a traditional motorcycle again. However, Burgman owners seem to ALWAYS say that I won't want to go back. I am really looking forward to testing that theory out.

See you out there!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your foot injury and having to sell your old pride and joy, but I think you will find your Burgman to be a great purchase and will have a lot of fun on it. Congrats on the new Burgman and welcome to the forum where you can find just about anything you ever wanted to know about it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Congratulations! And welcome to BUSA.

You'll be surprised how quickly the shifting bug goes away when you realize how much fun the 650 is to ride. Personally I have no desire to go back.

One running theme we've all read here is how often riders with multiple bikes somehow always choose the burgman when it comes time to pick the mount of the day. It's really a fantastic bike. So don't look at it as you've lost something (shifting), but rather that you've gained something, unimpeded fun.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I also left the shifting due to some physical problems , even if I get the problem fixed I doubt I will ever go back to shifting . Every once in a while I'll drive some one else's motorcycle and I think "what did I ever see in this" ? All that down and up shifting at every light and the traffic jams etc etc , NEVER AGAIN ! Use that throttle like a rheostat and once you get used to it you'll cool like us :D

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Welcome. I think you will learn to love the Burgie and the easy fun it is to ride. I too felt like I needed a shifting cycle and I have a 1300 VStar but ride both. I can't even begin to think of getting rid of my Burgman. It is just to much fun. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ride, you will discover a whole new world riding the Burgman!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Thanks for all the great responses! Now I just have to count down the days until I can hopefully (weather-permitting) pick it up this weekend. It's a couple of hours away from where I live, and I have a nice route chosen for the ride back. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I picked up my shiny, blue new-to-me 2005 Burgman 650 yesterday. It actually had 14,700km on it, not the advertised 9200. The seller said he meant miles in the classified ad, which is weird, as it is a Canadian model, with metric instrumentation and confirmed VIN. However, he didn't STATE miles in the ad, so I argued for a couple hundred more off the price before I would ride it away. Either he gave in, or I was hopping back in the car that drove me there. He gave in. :) All-in-all, I got a good deal, and am satisfied.

The seller lives about 2 hours from me, and I chose a route back that would take me through some nice countryside roads, as well as a brief blast on a major highway, so I could experience the scoot in many situations. For those of you that might know the area, I started in Kitchener, up through Erin, Caledon, Orangeville, Hockley, etc. In any case, as some of you posted in this thread, and many more posts that I read here on this site and others predicted, I am amazed with this bike. Call it a scooter, bike, whatever you want; it is so smooth and powerful that I had to stop a few blocks away from my starting point and just stand by the curb and stare at it in amazement. Nothing could have prepared me for just how well this package is put together.

Remember that I am coming off a 1500cc v-twin cruiser: not much power, but LOTS of torque. Never had an issue with lack of pull, or out on the highway. But the Burgman feels like it could literally run circles around my Vulcan. However, the most impressive thing about the Burgie is the way it rides at freeway speeds. No buzzing, not strained at all, still decent passing power left in reserve, even at 120km/h (~75mph). Simply amazing! It was difficult at times to rein my speed in, the scoot easily cruising well above posted limits. If I didn't pay attention, I'd constantly be 15-25km above where I should be. Something to get used to, but impressive all the same.

My first addition will be one of those windscreen spoilers I have seen folks talk about here. The large Givi screen on this Burgie is pretty good, leaving my eye-line about 1-1/2 inches above the top of the screen. However, there is some buffeting. I hope the MRA X-Creen Touring Spoiler will get rid of that - looks like a decent product, so I ordered one up this afternoon. Addition #2 will be the Corbin Tall seat. I may be only 6-feet tall, but I really found that I was a little bit cramped. Would love another 2 to 4-inches of room. But this one will have to wait until my budget allows.

Overall, I am simply blown away. Really, it's not something you can adequately describe to another rider until they hop on and try it out for themselves. Finally, I see what all of you have been raving about. In honour of my previous Vulcan 1500 Nomad, which was my dream bike (I still look at pictures and sigh), I am naming my Burgman 'The Nomad', and I hope to be wandering many miles this season astride her. See you out there!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The 650 Burgman is an amazing motorcycle/scooter. My V-Strom 650 has been mostly sitting for the past year after I bought my Burgman. I think I am going to wash the V-Strom and sell it just because it is not being used.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far, so good - loving the 650! Now if I could only get the weather up here to cooperate...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase

It is always nice to hear from someone who purchases a product and has their initial expectations exceeded.

I purchased my 2009 Burgman 650 in mid February and have ridden it approximately 1000 kms since picking it up. Weather a bit on the cool side yet...

Like you, I am very impressed at just how much power this scooter has and how well it handles, both at slow and faster speeds. It is simply fun to drive.

Enjoy your new ride, and although the Burgman may not be nearly as cool looking as your previous ride you might find yourself looking at those pictures of your dream machine and sighing just a little less as time goes on.

Heal quickly, and welcome to a new journey.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
DaBruzzer you got the Burgman grin real bad already.

See ya at the Forks.....white 2009 Exec.

Last winter in January - glad I'm in Australia now - you guys got hammered

I loved my 2005 650 and it's still going strong with another rider..

••

BTW join the GTAM forum and put those impressions up on there too.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?139421-In-case-you-were-wondering-about-those-big-scoots&p=2146384&highlight=burgman#post2146384

That goes for others as well....buncha motorcycle snobs need it rubbed in a bit. :D

see ya there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW join the GTAM forum and put those impressions up on there too.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?139421-In-case-you-were-wondering-about-those-big-scoots&p=2146384&highlight=burgman#post2146384

That goes for others as well....buncha motorcycle snobs need it rubbed in a bit. :D

see ya there.
Done! I never understood the whole 'looking down at scooter riders' thing. I think they are amazingly efficient packages, with more storage and convenience than just about any other motorcycle. But somehow they are seen as not having that 'cool factor'. Whatever - it's only MY smile that counts anyway. :p

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Hehe - you stirred up the local curmudgeons which is the entire point. :D

If they were in Barcelona it's one mcycle if that per scoot and loads of Burgmans of all sizes
The new 200 I think is brilliant for city and light highway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You will LOVE riding the Burgman. A good friend of mine(riding a Harley 1200cc) and I(on the 650 Burgman) did a 700+ mile ride last summer at 75mph most of the ride. When we got to the Motel I went swimming and he went to bed exhausted! My last big ride was a BMW boxer. I will NEVER go back to a machine that I will have to shift manually! I see no real advantage to owning a motorcycle unless I would do a lot of 2-up riding with my wife. I have over 30,000 miles on my machine and I am now buying a new burgman 650 while keeping my old one. I was considering an FJR Yamaha. Unfortunately Yamaha does not make the automatic model anymore.
respectfully,
David Miller

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Welcome..................If you need to still shift just put it in manual mode and you can shift it 1-OD but that will get old quick. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts