Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2009 Burgman 650 and will take delivery this afternoon.

I've owned several bikes in the past: 1971 Honda 750 K-1. Also a 1974 model.
A 1961 Triumph 650 Bonneville that I wish I still had.
A Kawasaki KZ 550.
A few others too

But.... I haven't ridden a bike in 25 years. The reason? I have a wife who WAS dead set against me having a motorcycle.

And I've never had an automatic.

So how did I overcome the wife problem? Easy. I surprised her with a Honda 150 scooter for her birthday. [email protected] How could it have been this easy?
She is so excited about learning how to ride it.

Her scooter is new. The Burgman is used. The price was about the same and I just can't ride a 150. My goal is to get her some experience and eventually move her up to the Burgman.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Welcome to the forums, both you and your wife will have a blast.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome to the forums, You guys are going to really enjoy the scoots. Nice riding in the Conroe area too! Maybe I need to get my wife a scooter, she won't ride on a bike....hmmmmmm.

Greg

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Avi8r, by your name I take it you're a pilot? If so, good. Pilots have a certain mindset that translates well to MC riding, they're usually very responsible and respectful towards mechanical transportation.

Well things have changed since last you rode. Given the bikes you listed, the Burgaman 650 will easily be the most powerful. The addition of efi, multivalve cylinders and such have really stepped up the power. It feels like my 2007 400 has about 80% of the power that my 1983 750 did, and handles better.

In any case, be prepared to crack the burgman smile within minutes of riding it for the first time :D . Have a good time and be careful. Oh and remember you can switch from the various tranny modes on the fly.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Um I don't think the most powerful - the Honda 750 K1 will eat the Burgman for lunch.

The 10 best motorcycle engines ... ever! - 2. HONDA CB750 ...
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/13-who-you-where-you/13-who-you-where-you/www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/the-10.../9854-10.html
Jul 9, 2010 - But its max of 67bhp at 8,000rpm gave a top speed of 120mph - faster than just about ... Click here to read Honda CB750 owner reviews.
They were popular track bikes and would out perform the Burgman in every aspect except braking maybe.
The rush off that 4 cylinder was fantastic.

But the 650 Burgman will not disappoint him either.

Actually looking at his list they would all munch the Burgman.

Motorcycle Buyers Guide - Kawasaki GPZ550, KZ550 GPZ ...
www.totalmotorcycle.com › Reliable Used Motorcycle Buyer's Guide
Motorcycle Buyers Guide - Kawasaki GPZ550, KZ550 GPZ, ZX550 GPZ. ... 553cc Inline-Four, Seat: ". Weight: 421lb, HP: 58/65. Torque: 47. Top Speed: 120mph ...
Clever idea for the OP to buy wifey a bike. :D

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Welcome I hadn't ridden in 25 years either when I got my 400. First thing I did was take the safety class. Though I aced the driving test. Instructor informed me I didn't down shift & go back into first when I stopped. I reminded him I had a scooter & didn't need to shift. Well as I rode away from the class on that final day as I came to a stop I kept pushing down with my left foot. :rolleyes:
Anyway class is worth taking for you & your wife.
Have a great safe time on your new rides. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm sure I will have many questions.

I am an instrument rated pilot and have been for many years. I don't currently own an airplane but ya never know. It's always on my radar.

We have registered for a safety course, but we took the scooters out and about the past two days, and she really is having a blast learning to ride. It's fun watching and helping her.

·
Registered
203 Posts
you both will enjoy the safety class and you will recognize the parallels to aviation training. have fun. my other ride is an A36

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I have a 98 250 burgman Iam having trouble starting it when it's hot I have to let it cool down for 30 mins does anyone have any ideas

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Welcome! I am new here too and just made a deal this afternoon to buy a 2006 Burgman 400 type S with only 600 miles on it. This will be a big move up for me since I have been riding a 50cc Yamaha Zuma for almost 6 years.

@ Avi8r - I assume from your name that you are a pilot, what do you fly?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I am an instrument rated pilot and have been for many years. I don't currently own an airplane but ya never know. It's always on my radar.
OP have you considered sail planes? You would seem to be in great country for it and **** sight cheaper to rent and to own.

I had a great time soaring in Arizona at Estrella
not sure where this is but I'm sure there are other soaring sites.

http://www.texassoaring.org

and of course they are always looking for tow pilots...cheap hours. :D

You'll enjoy the 650 ....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts