Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a used 400 with 7065 miles on it.
Rode to store a Mile away from house and about 20 mph it feels rough any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
17,341 Posts
use a different road? what year is it, when was the clutch /belt cleaned /serviced was rpm fluctuating or just drive system. is it stock or did previous owner do things to it? Has it sat for a long time, what kinda refreshin beverages did you get at the store?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He keep up on maintenance and didn't really ride much for past yr. As for extra he left original.
Yr is 2008 . And Pepsi was my drink.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Could be the gas is old and picked up moisture from the bike sitting. Maybe top off the tank with fresh gas and give it a good ride.

Reactions: Christine rae

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Does it run rough on the center stand? If so, goose it, and see if it gets any better. I'd agree with @Uncle Fester that the FIRST thing you should do is top off the tank, ride the hell out of it to almost empty, then fill it again, and empty that tank the fun way. You really want to clean out any gunk from it sitting. Gas turns gummy after a while and could be clogging the injectors. So try some higher octane without the ethanol to help clean it out. You can try some Seafoam as well.

To @mikeyMarine point, if you are maintaining speed, but the tach is bouncing around like... everything after a few of Mikey's refreshing beverages... It's likely the injectors are getting clogged. And, again... points to gas as a likely culprit. Not the only thing... but look at the simple stuff first.

If you have a good relationship with a shop, they may be able to just empty the tank for you fairly "inexpensively." I don't recall where the outflow is, off hand. I can look it up, if you need.

They're good bikes. And worth the effort. You'll be happy glad you got one!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Did you go any faster than 20 mph,? Perhaps the clutch wasn't fully engaging.
As stated above, if it seems to be idling, and running ok on the stand, take it for a more spirited ride.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
17,341 Posts
Pepsi is kinda weak, you are a biker now, probably need to move up to canned coca cola,(better burps)

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Pepsi is kinda weak, you are a biker now, probably need to move up to canned coca cola,(better burps)
I gotta be honest. I prefer Pepsi, as well. As a card-carrying member of the Wilford Brimley Fan Club (second class), I have to drink the diet stuff. And Diet Coke always make be wanna ralph. Diet Pepsi at least maintains momentum in the singular direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you go any faster than 20 mph,? Perhaps the clutch wasn't fully engaging.
As stated above, if it seems to be idling, and running ok on the stand, take it for a more spirited ride.
Welcome to the forum.
Top speed was 50 store is super close would've went for a longer ride but started to down pour. We did notice if you get on it on straight away it starts to even out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rode to store a Mile away from house and about 20 mph it feels rough any suggestions.
I'm not a motorcycle mechanic nor have i ridden motorcycles for a long time but i would suggest maybe taking a look in the belt housing? And maybe the air filter? Also i would just change the oil wether or not he changed it recently that way you feel good knowing when the oil was changed and that it is a fresh start.

I have the same year burgman, '08, and it has a bit of vibration when taking off from a standstill, but it smooths out once i get going, and that's that mine only has 900 miles, but i think it's just how the scooter runs.

·
Premium Member
17,341 Posts
welp, if it continues after a tank of gas, post where you are and maybe we have someone close who has a 400 and you can compare, any strange noises? (from the bike, not the husband, husbands always make strange noises)

·
Registered
110 Posts
**** IT MAN pay attention check tire dates right away, older than 6 years unsafe at any speed. Probable replacement. Correct then continue for safety's sake. Cuz I care.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts