Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I've been reading the forums for quite a while but never expecting to be an owner. Around here Burgmans are priced like gold and if a good deal surfaces it's gone in hours.

I have been riding conventional bikes for 40 years now. Just celebrated my 40th anniversary not long ago. My current ride is a Honda V45 Sabre which still flies and is semi comfortable for long rides. There's a long story behind a CBR125 I own and tool around on. (If you think the 400 Burgs are spinning high @[email protected] indicated my 125 Honda turns 10,500 at that speed and happily runs there all day long.)

So, a used 2004 surfaced for a decent price (half of other comparable 2004/2005 400's) and I figured something must be horribly wrong with it. I broke down, called the man, went to see it and happily struck a deal. I knew going in there were a few minor items needing attention but he was selling it with the MOT safety certificate, and new battery, new tires, new belt and recently serviced rear drive, oil change and new parking brake cable. Did I mention it has a rear gimli (givli?) trunk and only 28,000 miles? It's never been down, unless it was professionally fixed. I should mention I'm sure it's a US bike as the speedo is primarily in MPH with metric secondary. Plus there is a Texas sticker on the windshield. Tbh, I don't care if it's from Mongolia if it runs well.

So. Today we meet and exchange money and forms. He leaves. I put in the key, turn it on, raise my sidestand, hit the starter and.....nada. Zip. Then I remembered the parking brake was on. So I release it and hit the button and...zip.

I really thought he found a sucker, me, and was laughing his azz off. I contemplated ringing him up and filling his ear with expletives but thought better of it. Then, for some reason I held the front brake in, hit the button and it fired up. Duh.

My first real ride was a highway trip to a property I have and I was amazed how easily the little 400 pulled me along at 70-75 indicated @62-6500rpm and how weird it was to have so many places for my feet! Also, today was a wicked cold and brutally windy day and I felt blown around a little, but no more blown around than on another bike I had before, a 650 Honda silverwing.

At the end of my ride of 50 miles I felt great, no fatigue but more importantly no back pain, something I suffer when riding most conventional bikes.

Enough for now, it's nice to be here. I hope I can contribute help in some fashion.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
View attachment 30210

Ha, V45 Sabre. That's me back in the day. Loved that bike. Good to hear you have one still in service.

You will love the 400. Dare I say I like it more than the Sabre. A good deal more comfortable and not much less power than the old 750, at least to 90 mph.

Glad you were able to pick one up at a reasonable price.

Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Welcome aboard from Ontario South!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Welcome Wallythacker!

Bolzen -Ontario, Calif.? Why don't you put your location in your profile? Unless, of course, you're in witness protection :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Just too lazy for that :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts