Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,I just recently picked up a 2008 Burgman 400 in Candy Sonoma Red with only 5600 miles on the clock. First time I've owned a scooter, it's a lot of fun to ride.

It seems to be in good mechanical shape and decent cosmetic shape, it has been laid down, but isn't too bad. I plan to fix and repaint the the scrapes on the front. It already has the GIVI tall windscreen on it. I don't plan on doing any other modifications or add-ons at the moment, I want to ride a while and see what I'd like to change before jumping in to that.

I do have a couple issues and questions though. I have purchased a service manual and am waiting on that to arrive, as well as a new lift strut for the seat.

1. My oil change light is on, and even though it only has low miles, it is still 12 years old. I was going to perform at least the 24 month 7500 mile service since I don't know when anything was done last. The Brake fluid looks clear enough and the pads are good still. Would anyone recommend changing the brake fluid at this point? Also what engine oil are people using? I was thinking the Suzuki Ecstar R5000 10W-40, as per the owners manual. But I'm sure there are other oils that work as well for less money. It looks like in an olde thread a lot of people are using Shell Rotella 15W-40, but I can only find that as a diesel oil. I'm unsure of the difference.

2. A previous owner had drilled 3" holes in the large glove compartment door and mounted some junk speakers, and an amp inside it. I want to replace the door or fix it, but am not having luck locating a new door for anything close to a reasonable price.

3. I had removed the handlebar covers and am having a hell of a time getting them to fit again. The problem seems to be the top piece isn't fitting down low enough to the handlebar to snap on to the lower piece. it still has about 1". I have tried to move the wires and hoses around but they seem to be held in place pretty tight. I found videos and directions to remove them, but not to install them. Is there a special trick I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've already learned a good deal through reading over the forums!

Nick

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
wow , she looks great, sorry , can't help with any of your questions , but did want to encourage you to check out the emergency seat release mod, takes about 3 minutes and is invaluable should you ever need it .

Reactions: nh92784

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The engine oil issue was pretty well hashed out in a previous thread. Bottom line, while most any oil will work, the best oil for bikes is motorcycle-specific full synthetic (JASO MA rated), even though there's no wet clutch in the 400. I'll try to find the link later.

The bar cover problem is likely the hoses as you said. do you have bar risers installed? That can affect routing. Maybe try to push the brake hoses down (you probably tried that). If I recall I think maybe the brake hoses cross at the area in the center of the bars. If you're getting a factory service manual there is a hose-routing diagram that may help. Might try a well-placed large cable tie, just make sure there's no binding or rubbing when turning the wheel.

All I can suggest for the glove box is to watch eBay, and sometimes in this forum someone will part out a bike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice scoot. I had a similar problem with my handlebar cover when I got mine. I loosened the brake lever along with the fluid holder just enough to move around and have it stay when I moved so the handlebar cover would set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info everyone! Saloei, your suggestion worked great and I got the cover back on. I'm going to dig up some picture hanging wire later and do the seat release mod. I ordered a Suzuki maintenance kit with oil and air filters (my air filter was gross), spark plug, and gaskets and o rings. Also ended up going with Liqui Moly Basic Street 10w-40. Hopefully I'll get her out on the street soon.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
There is a brand new glove box door on Ebay for 90.00. Free shipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fester, I saw that and it looks the same but the description says it's for 2013-2016 models, so I'm not sure it will fit mine. Although I thought 07-16 were there same in that regard. It's even in the same city as me, so it would be convenient.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts