Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Y'all:

I'm blessed with the tons of great advice you all have shared so far - mainly regarding tires, accessories etc.

Uh hem, now I actually HAVE a mechanical challenge - my beautifully running AN400 is now immobile in my nearby town.

I was going to play pickleball and upon entering our Rec Center Library parking lot, I hit a speed bump at a tiny bit higher speed than ideal, and after the suspension reacted, the engine just died.

I was like, that's weird: So I tried to resart, nada - would crank but not fire.

So pushed it into parking space and tried again - making sure the side stand was fully up and the red manual kill switch NOT tripped.

Turn key to ignition, dash lights on, pull brake lever hit start button, it spins engine fine, but no fire.

I do believe I smell gas fumes from exhaust.

I'll know better once I retrieve it, using my truck & trailer later today.

Tried it again once it was cool - same result.

I did read quite a few threads on my phone related to this problem "engine suddenly dies / quits AN400" and saw various ideas but nothing seemed to match my circumstance.

Do I understand that if the side stand switch was tripped - stuck on - that the starter wouldn't even crank ?

I SURELY appreciate any input anyone has !

David in East Texas

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrighty great idea - that'd be nice !
Prior owner DID change plug.
Maybe he didn't "click" it snug ?
Is access gained by removing forward panel under seat ?
If so, does seat need removing too ?
Thx David

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well... I hope I'm right,... 'cos getting to YOUR plug is not easy.:(

From the workshop book..
View attachment 99879 View attachment 99880 View attachment 99881
Ok, so it involves pulling the whole left side leg shield.

Not best done in a public parking lot - best trailer it home & do in my workshop !

Also, I did find this comment about the sticky and dirty side stand switch killing ignition - I guess it can be dirty & somehow kill ignition signal - as if you're lowering it ?

So suggests this comment, his condition described sounds like mine:

And I think I CAN do that in the parking lot.

All I need is a can of CRC Electrical Cleaner.

Do I assume switch is obvious once I'm on ground looking up @ scooter undercarriage ?

Thx David

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome thx to you all.

To bad Google Translate can't help with shaky camera work.

The Aussie bloke, Mark, might wanna brush up a bit on camera technique.

Man, he never pulled back and gave you an overall view....nor was camera steady.

I had to watch that full screen several times but - help me here - at about the 2:40 point, his finger is pointing at a black cap with a small 8mm (guess) retention screw - is THAT the spark plug wire cap ?

Which doesn't make sense cause he's sticking the long extension plug socket in their but the cap is still on.

Am I missing something ?

And do I conclude that the 06 & prior Burgies Spark Plug is
B U R I E D......underneath Tupperware & wires.

Compared to 07 & after - which seem from MicBergsma's clear videos to be facing forward & at top easily accessed ?

Here's Mitch Bergsmas awesomely clear video.

Does our top panel (tunnel cover) remove same manner ?

Appreciate ya !

David

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
That’s a brit accent, southern flavour.

The panel ahead of the seat? - I think, lift the seat and undo the screws on the top/back edge and then lower the seat and free the interlinking tongue clips, easing the panel rearward

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bluebottle & all, Thank you.....

UPDATE:

My helper & I retrieved the Scooter.

First off, with key in & side stand retracted, tried to start it again, now several hours later.

Nada - same story....crank no fire. Put her on the center stand, put side stand down.

Found that side stand pin switch, flooded the pin & barrel it goes into with contact cleaner.

LOTS of it, gunk running out. Plunged it all the while perhaps dozens of times.

Retracted side stand, prayed, put key in and BOOM, she fires up & runs, straight away, purring like a kitten.

VICTORY.....for a moment or two.

I decided to trailer her home anyhow, I go to ride around to trailer ramp door, go over another speed bump, and the same exact thing happens - as soon as the scooter did the supension movement over the bump, boom off goes the engine, just quits.

Tried to restart, nothing. Even sprayed more contact cleaner in the side stand pin switch, nothing.

So, do you think I have a defective side stand switch ? Has one been taken apart ? Maybe I should try....doesn't the sequence of events suggest that is malfunctining as a 'Kill Switch' ?

I'm thinking he spark plug is less suspect as nothing was changed about it, yet re-start was accomplished, even if briefly....once the side stand 'kill switch' was cleaned.

Open to ideas & any suggestions.

I will make room in the garage & aim to remove some tupperware to begin examining stuff....probably starting with a removal & inspection of the stand switch.....and an eye on the spark plug.

Grateful for your help,,
David in East Texas

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Another thot or two:

Maybe kickstand spring is getting weak & not putting enough pressure on switch ?

Found this upon searching for side stand kill switch.
Sounds like my exact occurance:

David

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Maybe kickstand spring is getting weak & not putting enough pressure on switch ?
TEMPORARY fix / diagnosis. Disconnect side stand switch wires. Splice ends together.
Problem gone = bad switch.

If the side stand / switch is the problem, why does it crank, but not fire?
Stand down means nothing happens when you press the start button.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Could it be a bad bank angle sensor? The bank angle sensor switches off the engine if the sensor detects that the motorcycle is tipping over.

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
I would follow standard procedure.
visual check of ignition wires, fuel lines and all connections, check for spark, check for fuel delivery and then eliminate the fancy stuff based on where that takes you

·
Registered
79 Posts
...and don't forget to check those 2 electrical connection underneath the plate that holds the battery. Dave has posted some pics of these culprits in other 'wont start' threads.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
TEMPORARY fix / diagnosis. Disconnect side stand switch wires. Splice ends together.
Problem gone = bad switch.

If the side stand / switch is the problem, why does it crank, but not fire?
Stand down means nothing happens when you press the start button.

sharp.

and I also disable the side stand switch. never felt the need for it. safety? maybe. nuisance. much more so.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
...and don't forget to check those 2 electrical connection underneath the plate that holds the battery. Dave has posted some pics of these culprits in other 'wont start' threads.
:rolleyes:.....That would be true if we were discussing a 650 Burgman. Which is NOT the case.

Bike being discussed is a 2006 AN400

1 - 20 of 52 Posts