Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new Burgman 400 owner. Bought it used 2007 with 700 miles on it. I'm from Kingston Springs Tennessee. Seems to run nice, peppie too. I nave a 1994 HD springer also. Motorcyclists since 1969. Never had a scooter before should I be looking out for any adjustments necessary to keep it in good shape other than fluids? Thanks for your input.:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Welcome to the "comfortable" riders! Yours is barely broken in. 14,500 miles is the first big check up. There's lots of info in the "Knowledge Base" section at the top of this page a little to the right.
I would change oil and filter right now and ride it. The biggest "complaint" about these is the CVT. But, they just take a little learning. On the 400, they are very simple.... even I figured out how to keep it running smooth!
Best advise on running these is to NOT take off slow. Always engage the clutch quickly. It's a technique you'll learn pretty quick.
Then, enjoy the ride (and good gas mileage)!

BTW- I'm coming to Deals Gap the first week of May if you're anywhere close, come on down! I'll be there the 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. Lots of stuff to read here. I've done the gap on my HD Roadking. In no hurry of course. Thanks for the invite. The wife will not ride it again... lol. Not on my Springer anyway... maybe the scooter? We'll see...

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Scooterbug, welcome from NE TN! Enjoy your new toy. Lots of info here, in the "Knowledge Base" and from the folks!
Ride safe!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Just to let you Know!! the Burgman 400, Can Be Upgraded with Performance if you need more Power and Speed, if your looking for Race Speeds ,Parts are Available for that.

To start with Adding Better Rollers or Sliders can Improve Performance and Take off Speed.

All so the Speedo is off by some Percentages % So if your going 50 MPH indicated your Only going 43 MPH , I did not find this out unti'll coming here, So if you have Cars Passing you at 50 MPH be aware there Not Speeding your Going to Slow!!

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I put 46k+ on my 07 400 before selling it last year. You have lots of miles let in yours. ;) Oh & welcome to the best spot to find out anything you want to know about your new, slightly used ride.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd change the coolant also. It is probably OEM and very old. But should be good to go after that.

Just a couple things particular to the 07. Suzuki upgraded the clutch and the muffler gasket in 08. Make sure to get the 08 models of those parts when its time to replace. You have a while to go on the clutch and the gasket needs replacement whenever the muffler comes off, most likely for a rear tire change,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks folk's. I feel welcome right off the bat. And thanks for the tips. I was wondering about that speedo:confused: maybe the Cops will get me on radar for an accurate number lol..:D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think most folks, including myself report a pretty solid 10% speedo error which, makes it easy to figure. You're going ten percent slower than the speedo indicates.

Also common is that the rings don't often seal up well until around 10K miles. Until then, while they usually seem okay with around town riding, jaunts on the highway result in a lot of oil blow-by. Just keep an eye on the level and don't be surprised to find a pool of oil sitting in the air filter housing.

Enjoy the ride!!! And, remember to be kind to your HD buddies and don't make them look too bad through those Tennessee curvies.;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks folk's. I feel welcome right off the bat. And thanks for the tips. I was wondering about that speedo:confused: maybe the Cops will get me on radar for an accurate number lol..:D
Some people use this trick for their speedo. If it is completely stock and in high "gear", the rpm indicator divided by 100 approximates your actual speed. So 6k rpm = 60 mph, 7k = 70, and so forth. It's actually more accurate than the speedo.

Oh and welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>Some people use this trick for their speedo<<

And my trick is to rely more on the GPS speed reading for added accuracy. Plus, it's easier to see.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
While speed is the case in point, a group buy is available for the speedohealer that sends a corrected speed signal to speedometer, so what you see is what your at; so maybe organize one? I wouldn't mind seeing the right figure at all :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm the "new" owner of a 2004 Burgman 400 purchased during December 2013.

The forum is great info to service the scooter. Here's a link to one of the forum posters with many service video's for the +2007 Burgman's http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5FA8ED8FCA1FE85C

Just did a 800 miles round trip on the scooter and it was great. Wife and I have done 150 mile round trips and the scoot works very well two-up.

Take care,
Bruce

·
Registered
71 Posts
Scooterbug,

Welcome to the board ! Living so close to Nashville I would encourage you to come ride with the www.scootnashville.com group. We have a wide variety of scoots that ride with us . From 50cc to 650cc. We have a rally coming up in Nashville the weekend of June the 6-8th . Check out our website for meetup dates and rides. Hope to see you there .............Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts