Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new 2013 400 two weeks ago and passed the 1000 mile mark yesterday. It's great to have the Colorado mountains to play in!

I hadn't read the posts about blipping the throttle until I had about 500 miles on my bike so at the 600 mile service I had them check to see if I had already glazed the clutch and was informed that it looked good so far. So here's my question: I understand that I should be blipping the throttle to 4500 rpm's, but when I blip the throttle, the bike revs to about 4000 rpm's, then pauses/lags a bit and the jumps to 5000. Is this a problem that I need to have checked out or is it operator error or nothing to worry about?

I'm 62 and am only 5'1" and have been riding motorcycles for about 4 years. Learned on a Yamaha XT 250 (too tall), then came the 1995 Harley Sportster (too rough, loud and top heavy), Suzuki C-50 (too top heavy), Kawaski 900 Vulcan (just a smidge too tall). One of my friends who sells motorcycles at a local shop traded his Vulcan 900 for a 650 and he sold me on trying the 400. It is a bit too tall as well, though scooting up on the seat at stops puts my feet mostly on the ground.:) The low center of gravity feels magical compared to the previously noted bikes and it seems I have found "my scoot". I'm having a grand time running around the 4 Corners and appreciate all the great info I've received reading this forum!

Jackie

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome to the group!

I'm new also. I bought a 2008 a couple of weeks ago and passed the 1,000 mi. a couple days ago.

You're going to love it. I haven't found a weak spot yet.

John

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Your bike is still brand new, I wouldn't worry about glazing the clutch so soon, it takes several thousand miles.

And FYI, the blipping technique will help delay the glazing, not do away with it altogether. Depending on how you ride, it may not show up until 15k, but could be as soon as 5k. I ride rather hard and my clutch would glaze every 5k like clock work. But blipping the throttle extended that 10k. Just to give you an idea.

So far as the 4k rpm to 5k, its a bit unusual, but too soon to tell. Your belt, variator, clutch and rollers are just breaking in. Long time riders will tell you these bikes take time to loosen up a bit and smooth out. Unless it seems like something is really out of sorts, Check back in a couple K I'd say. It should still be under warrantee by then.

I'm glad you found the scoot for you. Good luck and welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike and welcome to our world. If you're not addicted already you will be!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome to the group JMac!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes and Liam thanks for giving me more specifics about the CVT...guess I'll just ride and enjoy it without obsessing. Everything is probably fine with the rpm's and I'll just see how it seems a little further down the line.

Went to Silverton and Ouray today on the "million dollar highway"...according to a recent newspaper article it is one of the twistiest and scariest highways in the country. It was a great ride. And yes, I'm already addicted! Btw, my gauge read 73 mpg when I finished today, a small stature isn't convenient for riding, but fab for gas mileage!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Great country out there Jmac, I have scoured most of your beautiful state of Colorado. I love Silverton and the million-dollar highway, what a beautiful ride that is at 8a.m. in the morning. Love the fog, takes me back to old London.

I got a friend down there in Bayfield Colorado go there every year, I love old durango!

Oh by the way, your 85 octane fuel sucks!! Hee heee

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congrats! Can't beat a Burgie! I have a 2011 400 and like you, have found my bike. My clutch glazed at 4300 miles. I don't like the judder, but I love everything else about the bike. Nothing is perfect, so if the clutch glazing is the short coming of this bike, so be it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
JMac, that good information from Liam.

Regarding that lag and then speeding up of the engine. It's likely it's just the clutch still hasn't bedding in yet. So you are blipping it and it's engaging but then biting a bit hard which drags the engine (which is still tight and not run in yet) down a bit on the revs until it picks up again. The clutch pads are still very soft at this stage of the running in process. The Burgman 400 engine gets more and more powerful as you cover the running in miles. Pick up improves notably as she loosens. Just keep a check on the oil level as per your owners manual. Have fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts