Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , have slowly transitioned to Scooters in the last 5 years, my primary rides now are a SW600/2012 and Burg400/2014,
the Burgman I got for the wife, but I ride it more, I've found the B400 to be just as capable as the SW in general, but the lighter weight and lower seat are plus features. Got a excellent deal on a 2014 "Garage Queen" with Givi shield and 4K miles in LN condition, glad I did, the new 2020/B400 I was looking at, had too many negatives compared to previous version IMO, sorry Suzuki !!!
Did Lot's of research on this forum, Thanks, zrx212

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I looked for a Silverwing but they are few and far between around here.

How do the ergonomics compare other than seat height? Especially regarding legroom - I'd read the SW is a little more cramped for larger\taller riders.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'd read the SW is a little more cramped for larger\taller riders.
That's about correct. Quick, quiet, NOT economical, about 45 - 48 mpg (UK galls). Suspension harsher than B400 too. Had mine 6 years tho' so couldn't have been all bad.
Do prefer Burgman. There's a comparison of the 2 somewhere on here.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well IMO the B400 is more comfortable ergonomics wise, seat is harder for long trips and find the rear suspension is slightly harsher than the SW600 on rough road areas, handling wise goes to B400. The engines have complete different character, one is eerie smooth, the other a "Thumper" at times, both well matched to bike weight, love both !!

Since my B400 was essentially 5yrs old (purchased new in 2016 by P/O) regardless of mileage, I decided a full inspection/service was needed for POM, all fluids, oil+air filters where changed, new belt , full CVT teardown, clean/inspection/lube, etc. and new tires. Only real mods are Dr.Pulley 18gr sliders(black??), they work awsome !!,
with all that in at 56mpg avg. mixed city/hwy driving with Givi shield (y), no significant traffic in my area.
BTW the SW600 gets 53mpg with Malossi white spring as only CVT mod.

BTW I present the .... :cool:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome to the Forum zrx212 and congrats on the new ride; looks nice.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Welcome @zrx212

I haven't seen a 2020. The local bike shop FINALLY sold their 650 from however many years ago. But everything I read makes it sound like the latest "upgrade" to the 400 was a step backwards.

Except the wheels. Not gonna lie. I do kinda like the new wheels.

--anthony

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I consider myself very lucky to have found this scooter, I was just casually looking at Craiglist adds on my phone, to kill time while waiting at Doctor's office, the add was just 45 minutes old, acted Imediately !! , not to show my hand, but I paid 1k under market value , P/O just wanted more space for his HD in their A/C garage, it was home next day.

I had tested a used 2018/10k miles a few months before, it felt smaller and less wind protection, a little more agile in turns, maybe 15 in. front ??, but it also felt softer in power IMO, kinda gave up on buying at that point.

IAC I saved aprox 2k on the 2014 with less mileage. Sometimes good things come to those who... are not really looking :cool:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I had a SW and sold it during a move. Looking for another one is how I found my 400. I prefer the power of the SW and the looks of the 400. The SW was better on the highway but not as nimble in town. Both are just fantastic machines and both made me very happy.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's about correct. Quick, quiet, NOT economical, about 45 - 48 mpg (UK galls). Suspension harsher than B400 too. Had mine 6 years tho' so couldn't have been all bad.
Do prefer Burgman. There's a comparison of the 2 somewhere on here.
View attachment 95413
There's a few unimportant flaws in some areas of that comparison, that mpg chart is too old/dated or maybe the fuel in other countries is bad :unsure:, I've never got less than 50mpg with a Givi shield and malossi white spring(no DP sliders) on my 2012 even in mixed driving, 56 my best, not a small guy either !! I think the FI was improved also in later years ?
Also in the US, the SW600 Honda OEM parts are a lot cheaper (and availble) than Suzuki B400, have not needed
any parts, yet to test availability, but seen a few threads here of hard to get body parts :(

Ex. OEM Clutch Bell SW600 $80 , B400 $204 !!! :confused:

·
Registered
571 Posts
There's a whole thread on Suzuki OEM prices. don't get me started !..;)
Even worse, in UK all they do is substitute £ sign for $. And that's on a good day.
There are way more aftermarket parts for B400 in Europe, than for SW.

There's a few unimportant flaws in some areas of that comparison, that mpg chart is too old/dated
Chart refers to my SW model year, which I bought in 2006. I used to get similar figures.
You could be correct ref. FI improvement..:unsure:

Either way, B400 beats SW on fuel economy. Even tho' engine is working harder, regular 70 mpg.
We're in the same ball park tho' - both v. good bikes...

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I really like about both the B400 and SW600 is they have conventional CVT set-ups, real easy to maintain and/or modify. Fortunately I found a vendor that has very reasonable prices on normal wear parts, etc. for both in the US Scooterpartsco.com

IAC I'm still fairly new to Burgman maxi scooters in general, will be doing a lot of searches, to learn (y)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,178 Posts
What I really like about both the B400 and SW600 is they have conventional CVT set-ups, real easy to maintain and/or modify. Fortunately I found a vendor that has very reasonable prices on normal wear parts, etc. for both in the US Scooterpartsco.com

IAC I'm still fairly new to Burgman maxi scooters in general, will be doing a lot of searches, to learn (y)
@zrx212
Welcome sir. Nice looking pair of bikes you have. There are plenty veritable experts that inhabit these pages if you have any questions about your new to you scoot.
Ride safely sir.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts