Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started riding in 1971. I had some financial difficulties 8 years ago. So, the new Harley Road King had to go. Today, I just picked up a 2014 leftover Burgman 400. It is going to take some getting used to. I keep wanting to press the clutch and shift. Also, being almost 67 years old, I wanted something easy to handle so I can continue to ride in my 70's.

I don't understand why they make such high seat heights in scooters. I can get the balls of my feet only on the ground as I'm 5' 7" and 170 pounds. I got the bike with the lower seat, which didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. It was a complete waste of money ($429). I also had the dealer lower the rear spring to half way, which also didn't seem to make any difference. Maybe I will lower the rear spring to it lowest point since I only ride 1 up.

It was in the forties today in the Northeast. I was half frozen by the time I got home. Tomorrow they are predicting snow flurries. So, the bike will stay in the garage for another week or so.

John

·
Registered
413 Posts
You will love the Burgman 400. Congrat's on your purchase!

I have put 43,000 blissful miles on mine and it still makes me smile every-time I ride it.
I also have two other bikes, a little Suzuki GZ250 cruiser and a Honda Helix Scooter. To be honest my Honda Helix scooter would be perfect for you ergonomically, but its top speed is 83mph on a good day, 78 or so realistically. If you could live with that its much lighter and lower than the Burgman. However one thing I would suggest is to move the back rest forward to force yourself to sit closer to the front of the seat.

Give it some time and I bet you'll get used to it.

Again congrats! It's a great scoot!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
John welcome to the from. The earlier 400s were lower than the newest ones, it's too bad they didn't keep them low because a lot of people benefited from the lower seat. But as everyone above said you'll get used to it and will have the Burgman grin in no time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome DrJohn,
I think your logic of buying something you can ride for years to come is wise. Trading some of that torque for less mass (once you get acclimated to the AT) I expect will be great down the road. I'm planning on doing the same and picking up ABS in the process. With regards to flat footing, as burgman30102 notes, as you slide forward on the seat it gets a bit thinner allowing your legs to go straighter down.

Any bike we select has it's pros and cons, that's the challenge for those of us with one bike.
Enjoy,

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Welcome! I know that you'll enjoy the Burgman 400, I've owned three and never regret it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Have you had a chance to test out the backrest with the new spacers? I have considered this backrest but as a super short rider (5' 2") am concerned that it will lean me back making the reach to the bars even more difficult. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts