Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have gone from 2006 Reflex ( a greatc bike) to 2004 Burgman 400, back to the Reflex, over to 2016 GTS 300 ie Vespa and now over to a 2009 Burgman 400 with 16000KM. I am wondering if there are any quirks I should be aware of. The current owner says it grumbles at low speeds?? I did not understand his explanation but he is giving me a new belt and sliders. I do all my own maintenance. I likes the Vespa but it is too high and there is no room for two up. I hope this burg will be a good one!
tks for any comments
Gilles

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The grumbles at low speed could possibly be glazing of the clutch pads on the clutch drum? Seems to be a common problem when starting out at low rpms from a stop. Easy fix by removing the drum and lightly sanding the clutch shoes. Lots of old threads on that subject. If that is what the grumble is.

Reactions: Gene563

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
maybe cvt like fester says. maybe take a look at the muffler connector. it looks like dense aluminum foil. it gets worn out after time.
#8 in the parts list

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree with Fester in that it's probably the clutch. Not a problem, it's just something to get used to.
I found early on that I had to rev this motor more than my ChinaScoot on take-off ... low speeds can overheat the clutch.
I now launch at ~5K RPM, then back off once moving.
Good luck with the new bike.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Hi, I have gone from 2006 Reflex ( a greatc bike) to 2004 Burgman 400, back to the Reflex, over to 2016 GTS 300 ie Vespa and now over to a 2009 Burgman 400 with 16000KM. I am wondering if there are any quirks I should be aware of. The current owner says it grumbles at low speeds?? I did not understand his explanation but he is giving me a new belt and sliders. I do all my own maintenance. I likes the Vespa but it is too high and there is no room for two up. I hope this burg will be a good one!
tks for any comments
Gilles
the 400 is a fine bike for 2 up, just don't let the wifey know.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Mikey, have you thought the wifey knows very well its fine for two up, but you're not the one of the two?

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Mikey, have you thought the wifey knows very well its fine for two up, but you're not the one of the two?
Best not nobody else be ridin my BIKE!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I try to put a little video of what it's doing.. apparently I cant do that. The belt bounces up and down when rpms are below 4k. What weight sliders should be in there? On my reflex, I took half the sliders out and it worked really well. I'll try to attach a picture. I have a new belt the previous owner gave me. It's a bando belt. I think I will just clean the whole thing, check the shoes etc and the give it another go. Brake cleaner good to use on pulley surface or do a very, very fine sanding?
20200708_144407.jpg
20200708_144353.jpg

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Brake cleaner or alcohol is fine for front/rear pulleys
I use 100grit for the bell but I scoff it NOT around the bell face but perpendicular to the clutch shoes for better bite. I use 800 on clutch shoes just to clean rhe glazing and use alcohol to wipe anything on it
Dont forget to place new grease on the inside of the tube (boss pin) also the rear clutch has bearings that needs to be regreased. Every service the clutch should be taken apart cleaned and regreased. 54mm bolt socket I believe

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You can dampen a cloth with brake cleaner to clean the pulley sheaves and the clutch bell. Don't use any sandpaper on the pulleys. As noted you can use some fine paper on the inside surface of the clutch bell (I've always gone around instead of perpendicular, but either would probably work), and something like 100 grit on the shoes, but don't get carried away with it....just want to remove any glazing that might be present. For the shoes put the paper on a flat block and follow the curve - you don't want to round the edges of the pads.

S-steel - that's the first I've heard about dismantling the clutch and greasing every service. Do you mean every oil change (approx. 3500 miles) and where did you get that? That's a fairly involved procedure compared to the usual cvt maintenance.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I meant every service of doing the variator of 15000miles, the clutch should be opened cleaned, inspected and regreased. when the interval is to work on the cvt, I take it all apart. the next one will be in an inspection only of the belt but I think its too long to let it go (every 30000miles) without opening, inspecting, cleaning and regreasing.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I don't find any mention of it in the maintenance schedule, but probably a good idea to do at that interval.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
there are seals and bearings inside..1 is a needle type..good to keep clean and get belt dust out of it. 30000 miles is just too long to wait to open and clean. imho

Fester had an article he did a while back with his neighbors help

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had it off the bike, I noticed that two fin have the outside tip broken and the clutch has 5 shoes. I thought OEM Suzuki had three. I can find any name on it. The belt does not have a recognizable name either. Looks like someone was in there before.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think 2007 and possibly 2008 had 3 pads. then they improved it to 5.

I would recommend that you replace that finned plate. or if you have adremel and some tool, you may consider removing the same amount on the opposite for better balance. thats me though.

maybe it would be off balance to create slight vibration over time that may play on the mounting teeth. but others might jump in and say its not an issue.

I cant remember if the oem says suzuki on it but I dont think it does. does it have arrows pointing a certain direction? it should go left to the front.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I have a 2008.
If the sliders are caked with belt dust, they will make noise.
If you don't R&R the clutch assembly once in a while, at least check the bearings, use your finger to turn the inside one, does it turn smoothly, or can you feel it sticking?
My Jan. service included new clutch bearing, O rings, variator halves (they were concaved a little), etc. At 43,601 miles. I could feel the inner clutch bearing was rough. Once I replaced it, the vibrations went away.
Yes the belt is marked for direction.
I used Yamalube grease, via some on-line site, for the clutch innards. Nice and sticky. About $11. Big tube, a lifetime supply.
I clean the belt case innards at 3000-5000 miles. Shoot a little dry lube on the sliders.
My choice is 19 g sliders from Dr Pulley. Seem to be a good compromise.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
That finned pulley can spin up to 8000 RPM (engine speed) so I would bet that a couple broken fins would make bad vibes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, everything is cleaned up, new belt, new 19g Mr. Pulley. Re assembled, road tested and 100% better. Barely any vibration at all, revs up to 5000 quicker than before. It was very dirty in there. I sure appreciated my compressor. I am going to look around for the finned plate and change it at some point. I have a 1600km trip coming up in 2wks so that will be a good test. We have to tent it due to covid. My buddy rides an Indian Chief , we dont match too much lol!!!
Thanks for all the help and advice.
G.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts