Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get new tires for my suzuki burgman 650 and i wanted to know what is a good tire to get. How about using Avon for the rear and pirelli for the front. Is this a good choice of tires?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
My tire setup of choice is the OEM Bridgestone on the front and the Michelin Pilot Sport on the rear.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've tried both the Bridgestone TH01 and Michelin Pilot Sport. Despite the ridiculous effort to mount the most recent front tire, the Bridgestone TH01 has the edge. Rear, who knows? Couldn't really tell much difference. Whatever is cheaper and radial, I guess.:confused:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
For several year now use Bstone Battlax TH01 front with Michelin Pilot Sport SC rear combo, find this best setup on 650, handle excellent and stick to road.

Do not remember what rear Battlax like anymore.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I've used Pirellis and Bridgestones. The Pirellis are soft and wear out in less than 5K, good if you want performance. The Bridgestones last much longer so from a money stand point are a better value. I haven't tried the Metzlers or Michelins. Wish I could get my hands on a set of Maxxis to try.

·
Registered
753 Posts
And you may wish to give some thought to going to a suitable car tire for the rear of your Burgman. After reading so many positive things about "joining the darkside" I did exactly that and I have been absolutely thrilled with my decision- just as I was with my GL1800 Goldwing. Smooth as glass, handles great and more than double the tread life for less than half the price. Hello? Is there something not to like here?

And when my beloved Honda PC800 comes due for a back tire next time you can bet that it too will be going dark. Nothing but the best for me and my babies!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am going Dunlop Scootsmart front and rear on my 650 B. My Burgman corners well and has a sorted front and rear suspension set up, Hagon progressive fork springs and heavier duty rear Hagons. Therefore I want to use top notch MC Tyres. The darkside is not for me, cannot firstly see how 1.Are they acceptable for insurance purposes 2. The bike manages to lean correctly if ridden just a bit quicker than moderate speeds.

No doubt the darksiders find them ok but its all alien to me !

WM

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
I am going Dunlop Scootsmart front and rear on my 650 B. My Burgman corners well and has a sorted front and rear suspension set up, Hagon progressive fork springs and heavier duty rear Hagons. Therefore I want to use top notch MC Tyres. The darkside is not for me, cannot firstly see how 1.Are they acceptable for insurance purposes 2. The bike manages to lean correctly if ridden just a bit quicker than moderate speeds.

WM
And in the UK it is forbidden fruit. :twisted:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

WM
Are those new? I've been running Dunlop Scooterline for years on the 400. Great tire. But they never had the 650 size. I heard they replaced those now, but are they offering them on the 650 with the new line! Scootsmart its called?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just put a Shinko on the back of my 650. I'm heading out on a 3500 mile trip next week and will be interested to see how it fairs. If it gets more than half the mileage of a Bridgestone or Pirelli, I'll be dollars ahead.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I just put a Shinko on the back of my 650. I'm heading out on a 3500 mile trip next week and will be interested to see how it fairs. If it gets more than half the mileage of a Bridgestone or Pirelli, I'll be dollars ahead.

After getting a hole in my OEM Bridgestone rear that could not be patched I bought a cheapo Shinko SR568 for it. You know what? It wasn't all that bad. Got around 6K miles on it and the bike seemed to handle fine with it.

If I ever leave the darkside I would use the Shinko again probably.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
After getting a hole in my OEM Bridgestone rear that could not be patched I bought a cheapo Shinko SR568 for it. You know what? It wasn't all that bad. Got around 6K miles on it and the bike seemed to handle fine with it.

If I ever leave the darkside I would use the Shinko again probably.
+1. Good tires. They perform as well as any. Wear is about the same or a little less than the big brands. BUT HALF the price. Just had one delivered... $57.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Liamjs, They definately do the size in Dunlop Scootsmart for the 650 Burgman. They are supposed to be the "Dogs Doodahs" as they are based on the profile and construction of the Roadsmart 2 Tyres apparently, and they are highly acclaimed. However you get what you pay for generally and ride in ride out with a new set of Scootersmarts = £180.00

WM.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Liamjs, They definately do the size in Dunlop Scootsmart for the 650 Burgman. They are supposed to be the "Dogs Doodahs" as they are based on the profile and construction of the Roadsmart 2 Tyres apparently, and they are highly acclaimed. However you get what you pay for generally and ride in ride out with a new set of Scootersmarts = £180.00

WM.
Ooo, that's three sets of Shinkos. Unless they last 15k miles, ridden hard, I'll stick to what I got.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I have been super happy with the Shinkos, I am on my 4th rear and 2nd front and have two spare rears and one front sitting in the garage.

I average about 6-7k miles on the rear and about 12-15k miles on the front.

Both the front and rear wear very evenly, never flat spot and keep air very well.

They handle extremely well in all conditions at all speeds.

Not sure if the Dunlops are available in the USA.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
After seeing a front/rear Shinkos delaminate on a local bike and being very happy with the Bridgestones I just do not have a desire to try them, just me.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Like others, I'm running on OEM Bridgestones up front, and a Michelin Pilot Sport in back. The Michelin's are noticeably more responsive in the turns, but seem a little twitchy on the straights - like my rear end is wagging a bit. It's a toss-up whether to stay with the Michelin or go back to the OEM Bridgestone (which I think is a very good tire) on my next change.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think I will try a set of Shinko's. I have used them on a V Max and Triumph Tiger motorcycle before and they did fine but didn't wear as long as some more expensive alternatives.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think I will try a set of Shinko's. I have used them on a V Max and Triumph Tiger motorcycle before and they did fine but didn't wear as long as some more expensive alternatives.
I have used Shinko tires for years with complete satisfaction. And I think Shinko is one brand that I have never had any sort of failure with.

I am not going to say that they are the best tire out there, but possibly the best tire out there for the money. Lots and lots of people use them on very expensive equipment and they do just fine.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Performance wise, I'm incredibly happy with the Shinkos. I've carved canyons with the best riders I know and always kept up and always felt very secure on them.

Perhaps that is why they wear a touch faster than the others. But for the price, I can get one, including installation, for less than a premium brand.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts