Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put new tires on my Burg650. I put a new Michelin Gold Standard on the front, and a Federal SS657 165/65 on the rear. I had a Federal Formosa 165/60 and took it off because I wanted to get my speedo alittle closerr to GPS speed. The 165/60 did not change from stock BAxe. With the 165/65 at 70 indicated I'm doing 67-68 GPS. (hate digital guages) Michelin is a bias ply and with the taller tire in the rear the geometry is changed slightly. Decided to change the front tire because at about 5000mi I noticed a funny wear pattern on the front. Turned out the steering head was not in spec. After adjusting the steering head it did handle slightly different. I then darksided the rear tire shorly after that with the 165/60.. At 6800mi decided to change the rear tire to a taller tire. Some other members said there may be clearance issures. Well, I went under the m/c and removed the centerstand switch so it would rev in a higher gear than 1st gear. I know at high speeds a tire will grow taller. So I put the trans. in manual and twisted the throttle and shifted the gears, and slowly sped up. At about 110mph (GPS 0mph), the tire rubbed enough to shave off the little **** of the tire to rub off. At wide open throttle (WOT) the spedo went to 138mph.. So now at slow speeds (below 20mph) the steering is a little twitchy. Nothing an experienced rider cannot compensate for. At highway speeds it is smooth and I like it. I do alot of highway riding. Now just need some miles put on to get used to it and wear the tires a bit!

Hopefully this will help others to digest the info on "darkside" tires..

·
Administrator
18,750 Posts
I ran a 165/65 14, then a 155/65 14 and now I have a 185/60 14 on and it will interfere unless you grind the casting flash off the centerstand area. So I do not recommend a 185/60 14. The ride is smooth but in heavy rain I get too much flotation. I'd stay in the 155 - 165 sizes.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
ScooterAddict you didn't say, did your new tire correct your speedometer to read the same as your GPS?

·
Registered
585 Posts
If the tire is 'shaving' a bit of rubber off without the suspension being compressed (weight of rider and baggage etc on board) you'll get even more 'shaving' at speeds of considerably less than the test speed. I would keep an eye on the tire and under side of the scooter for wear. You might not hear it.

What I've experienced with my CT is the scooter wanting to move away from slanted surfaces. And as you mentioned - nothing an experienced rider can't handle. It isn't violent but wants to lean away from those canted surfaces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts