Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2006 650 Exec
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
CooperMan showed me a video that cleared it up for me.
I took my PPS test readings from the wrong wires.
With more careful and thorough measurements, I found that wiggling the PPS plunger dropped the resistance from 1940 ohms to zero.
I think that’s the cause of my bike seeming to snap the drive belt.
I‘ll replace that sensor and report back.

Thanks, everyone, for the help!
Scott

·
Registered
582 Posts
On the upside, I feel pretty smart removing the outer half of the CVT case while leaving both pulleys installed on the inner half.
This let me see what was going on inside the CVT and saved me from replacing the seals and o-rings that are involved with removing the pulleys from the other side.
Scott
I have a broken-belt CVT available, but i was unable to open it. I tried more than a year ago so i can't remember exactly what special tool i needed to open it...would you give some tip on how you opened it?

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
We all should try to keep all the CVT issues over on the other post. Getting answers in two places gets to be problematic.

Reactions: BigSherm

·
Registered
2006 650 Exec
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I have a broken-belt CVT available, but i was unable to open it. I tried more than a year ago so i can't remember exactly what special tool i needed to open it...would you give some tip on how you opened it?
Parduz-
getting the CVT case open is easy once you have the CVT off the bike.
After you remove all the bolts holding the case halves together as in this picture, including the primary pulley stopper bolt that goes where the red circle is.
Note: When you reassemble the CVT case halves, the outer end of the primary pulley has a hole that must line up with that hole in the case so the stopper bolt can fully seat into it.
Watch Bicycle part Rim Auto part Machine

Get 3 M6 bolts at least three inches long to use in these three small holes:
Note: get bolts with thread on the full length of the bolt, not bolts with partial thread as in these pics.
Bicycle part Rim Machine Auto part Nickel

Screwing those 3 bolts in, each a little bit at a time, will slowly, but surely, spread the CVT case apart, like this:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Rectangle

See how screwing this bolt in pushes the cases apart?
Sleeve Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electric blue Denim

That removes the outer half of the CVT case land leaves this:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Gear Rim

Which allows you to see what happened inside without needing a bearing separator puller to get the spindles off the backside of the case.
If the belt or pulleys or anything else has to be repaired, you’ll have to use that puller and the traditional method to fully disassemble the CVT.
In my case, once I saw the belt and pulleys were ok, I can simply replace the outer half of the case and put the CVT back on the bike.

I hope this helps.
Scott

·
Registered
2006 650 Exec
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Back at it!
I declared my Burgman a total loss, at least for now.
At least one final drive bearing failed and blew apart inside the rear crankcase, and those bearing have to be pressed in FROM THE INSIDE, so the crankcase halves have to be separated to replace them.
I’m not willing to spend the time disassembling the engine to get to that, when I suspect I might find a larger issue in there that caused the misalignment or other destruction that blew apart the bearings that would prove the engine unusable, anyway.
I picked up a pristine 2007 a few hours away, and one long day of work got it back to where I was with the previous one.
I’ve been riding it, and today I had another great ride up in the mountains over San Bernardino.
The more I ride it, the more I wonder if I should fully enclose it like the Monotracer, or biuld a shell with the rider exposed.

Scott
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire Plant

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
Now sell all the Tupperware and recoup some money. Is the CVT on the old bike OK? I just sold my spare to a Canadian member.

·
Registered
2006 650 Exec
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I admire your perseverance…. you could have spent the next six months ranting about the mishap but …..you found another and continue forward.
Thanks, DP!
Hey, now I have a spare bike I can use to build whatever bodywork I choose, while I keep riding this one!

Scott

·
Registered
2006 650 Exec
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
It’s getting chilly, even here in SoCal, so I put one of my collection of windshields on the bike.
It’s a super-big Givi shield, but is scratched up and not worth much. Even though I redrilled it to mount it much lower than stock, it still sits up high enough that I had to look through it, instead of over it.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Plant

I set it up that tall on purpose because I wanted to try the bike from behind a big windshield, because of course, I keep wondering what it’s like to pilot a Monotracer/Ecomobile which is fully enclosed.
I was unprepared for how much I would like the quiet! After riding up and down a favorite curvy mountain highway and leaning it over further than ever, I was having so much fun I was whooping out loud!
During that ride, I made the decision to build a windshield and roof on the bike, and keep riding it while I decide how much more, if at all, to enclose the bike.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

I don’t have a tubing roller, so I grunted, sweat, used my hands, feet, spare tires, scrap pieces of wood, and ratchet straps for several hours to get those 1” aluminum square tubes bent into those (kind of) graceful arcs overhead.
I’ll use polycarbonate sheet over the top of that, all the way from front to rear, with the part directly overhead tinted dark or blacked out from the inside.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

More to come.
Scott

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
Cool.

We had a 1952 Mercury 100 Pickup when I was a kid, same colors as yours. My stepfather ran a Fruit stand and drove up into East BC Canada to get fruit from the Okanogan farmers. Hated the no syncros in 1st gear.

·
Registered
2006 650 Exec
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Jeez, I feel like I’m building an airplane!
The acrylic is very easy to cut and shape with a cutoff wheel meant for metal on a handheld grinder, and regular drill bits work well on it.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

That’s just blue masking tape under the glass, along the top of the rails. I plan to paint the aluminum rails and the inside of the glass at the front, and overhead.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

The tool bag trunk is temporary. If I keep it this way, I’d like to enclose the rear into a cargo area.
I took it out for a test ride late last night after I got the glass on, and I rode it to work this morning, which is a 40 minute freeway and street trip with heavy traffic in the dark.
As it is now, the wind noise is loud.
It‘s fun to ride!
Now I have to decide to build upon it further in this direction and enclose it further, or go in the open cockpit direction I originally intended.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts

41 - 55 of 55 Posts