Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 · (Edited)
Following. Interesting project indeed. Any updates?
I’ve just gotten back to it after a week and a half away on a work trip.
I’ve attached cheap head and tail lights to the naked beast, gotten it registered and insured, and started riding it!
Late last night, misty and empty streets, I blasted around on it and had a great time!
Just as I thought it might be, the sensation of speed is increased because I’m lower to the ground, so 50mph genuinely feels fast on back roads.
I’ve had it up to an indicated 95mph on the freeway.
Zooming through curves in the fighter jet seating position is just as fun as I hoped it would be!
Next is to get the Michelin Road 4s mounted and take it up to the mountains for a proper daylight ride, and post a video or photos.

Scott

I’ve just gotten back to it after a week and a half away on a work trip.
I’ve attached cheap head and tail lights to the naked beast, gotten it registered and insured, and started riding it!
Late last night, misty and empty streets, I blasted around on it and had a great time!
Just as I thought it might be, the sensation of speed is increased because I’m lower to the ground, so 50mpg genuinely feels fast.
Zooming through curves in the fighter jet seating position is just as fun as I hoped it would be!
Next is to get the Michelin Road 4s mounted and take it up to the mountains for a proper daylight ride, and post a video or photos.

Scott
Do you plan to leave it naked or will there be some form of fairing in its future?

Discussion starter · #23 · (Edited)
Do you plan to leave it naked or will there be some form of fairing in its future?
BMJ-
Here‘s the dream of what I had in mind.
It‘s an ambitious goal, it would be the biggest project I’ve ever undertaken.
We’ll see.
Scott
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Reactions: wspollack
Discussion starter · #27 · (Edited)
Well, I said I needed to put the new tires on and take it on a proper ride in the mountains, but I had a spare hour so I just took it up there as is!
Ecoregion Map World Font Screenshot

GOOD LORD, this thing is fun to ride!
I can’t say it enough, the low seating position gives a sensation of speed and lean angle, it’s like driving a race car while riding a motorcycle while flying a low-level scout helicopter in combat.
Start fast, stay fast and Scouts Out!
Anyway, I digress.
Some surprising things about it:
1. It still has the original shocks and fork springs, which, because I’m 6’3” 220lbs would normally would take away from my enjoyment on the stock bike, but seems to matter less with this seating position and lower center of gravity.
Maybe the frontward and rearward pitch with my big self on the stock bike is lessened because of the MUCH lower center of gravity?
That’s what Ecomobile/Monotracer creator Arnold Wagner says.
2. There seems to be less lean angle required than for a turn on a standard bike. I don’t yet have an idea why. I had a Buell with only a 48” wheelbase that seemed to cause a lesser lean angle than other bikes, but the Burg certainly doesn’t have a short wheelbase, so that doesn’t seem relevant.
Anyway, more to come!

Scott

Looks like fun :)

Generally if you lower your C of G you will need to lean more in corners (but it will Roll/lean slightly quicker)
Remember to include your raised legs in calculations, they are going to reduce how much your CofG has lowered.

Moving CofG forward will make the bike more prone to understeer and less prone to oversteer

Reactions: Rusty J
Discussion starter · #29 ·
Looks like fun :)

Generally if you lower your C of G you will need to lean more in corners (but it will Roll/lean slightly quicker)
Remember to include your raised legs in calculations, they are going to reduce how much your CofG has lowered.

Moving CofG forward will make the bike more prone to understeer and less prone to oversteer
I think the increased roll rate is noticeable!
But, calculations?
I’m nowhere near that meticulous, but I’ll keep that in mind and thanks for the tip!
Scott

Discussion starter · #33 · (Edited)
New tires are on!
I dug out my old GoPro and took it up in the hills for a proper ride.

Bad news, though, on my way home I lost my CVT belt (I think).
You can see it here when the speedometer hits 40mph.

Maybe the world‘s only CVT failure caught on video?
On a big project, you gotta expect obstacles, right?
I plan to use Buffalo’s excellent documenting of his belt swap for my guide.
Scott
EDIT:
For those who may read this in the future, it wasn’t a CVT belt failure, but catastrophic clutch failure.
More below.

Next step: install this
Watch Sports equipment Font Measuring instrument Gadget

:)

(sorry, have not been able to find the english link)

Discussion starter · #39 ·
More good news!
The inside of my CVT looks perfect, but after testing the PPS and CVT motor, I’m not sure what the issue is.
See more here:

Discussion starter · #40 · (Edited)
The CVT looks perfect inside!
When it failed I was starting to question whether my bike actually had only 13K miles as displayed, but it sure looks like low mileage inside the CVT.
White Electric blue Goggles Button Gear

I believe it’s the primary pulley sensor (PPS) that has failed, and have ordered another one.
While I wait for it to arrive, though, I need some reinforcement for that theory before I install it and can no longer return that part and get back my $240.
See the odd results of my PPS test here:

On the upside, I feel pretty smart removing the outer half of the CVT case while leaving both pulleys installed on the inner half.
This let me see what was going on inside the CVT and saved me from replacing the seals and o-rings that are involved with removing the pulleys from the other side.
Scott

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.