Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I gotta disagree with the Rotation as indicated in the Bridgestone link...
the tread pattern on the rear tire will channel water away from the center
of the tread, but the Rotation note on the front tire, will channel water
away from the edge, towards the center of the tire...increasing
the possibility of hydroplaning....... :?

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
nice find, thanks for posting it...

it will be interesting to see how this new tire does in real life... their documentation sounds promising...
hopefully they have been able to address flat spot issue that they couldn't address with the redesigned TH01RM

Ok who is going to be the first to try this one....

supposed to be quieter too

Significantly reduced a pattern noise in all areas
Especially over 60km/h

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Duster said:
I gotta disagree with the Rotation as indicated in the Bridgestone link...
the tread pattern on the rear tire will channel water away from the center
of the tread, but the Rotation note on the front tire, will channel water
away from the edge, towards the center of the tire...increasing
Strangely, most M/C front tyres do have the rotation pattern going the 'wrong' way compared to cars. There is a genuine reason for it - I've read it somewhere. Can't remember it exactly at the moment but it's something to do with the construction of tyres and the different maximum load pressures placed upon front tyres (braking) and rear tyres (acceleration). Try looking on a few manufacturers websites at pictures of their new bikes and you will see what I mean.

Here's a picture of a Yamaha R1: http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/ ... ||nulltext

·
Administrator
18,398 Posts
Duster said:
I gotta disagree with the Rotation as indicated in the Bridgestone link... the tread pattern on the rear tire will channel water away from the center of the tread, but the Rotation note on the front tire, will channel water away from the edge, towards the center of the tire...increasing
Steve D UK said:
Strangely, most M/C front tyres do have the rotation pattern going the 'wrong' way compared to cars. There is a genuine reason for it - I've read it somewhere. Can't remember it exactly at the moment but it's something to do with the construction of tyres and the different maximum load pressures placed upon front tyres (braking) and rear tyres (acceleration). Try looking on a few manufacturers websites at pictures of their new bikes and you will see what I mean.

Here's a picture of a Yamaha R1: http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/ ... ||nulltext
Yep, most siped front tires for bikes are backwards to common thought. I found that out when I first tried Michelin Gold Standards. Mounted them without looking and as I was putting it on the bike I seen the direction arrow. I asked a few different forums and the consensus was, its for braking. I still think the tire is rotating the same direction under full brake and water is still pumped under and not out. MAKE NO SENSE TO ME. But I am not enough of a maverick to try it out the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
so is the current tire still for sale?

·
Administrator
18,398 Posts
Bakeisback said:
so is the current tire still for sale?
I don't think the new one is out yet. BUT, If its like any from the past, once the old stock is 90% gone all you'll see in the market is the new stock. But sometimes you can buy one from Ebay that someone bought up all the remaining old stock.

Just popped over to Motorcycle Super Store, Only the current old stock tire is offered.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Dave_J said:
Duster said:
I gotta disagree with the Rotation as indicated in the Bridgestone link... the tread pattern on the rear tire will channel water away from the center of the tread, but the Rotation note on the front tire, will channel water away from the edge, towards the center of the tire...increasing
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/ ... ||nulltext[/url]
Yep, most siped front tires for bikes are backwards to common thought. I found that out when I first tried Michelin Gold Standards. Mounted them without looking and as I was putting it on the bike I seen the direction arrow. I asked a few different forums and the consensus was, its for braking. I still think the tire is rotating the same direction under full brake and water is still pumped under and not out. MAKE NO SENSE TO ME. But I am not enough of a maverick to try it out the wrong way.[/quote:jczrgpcy]

If you think about the isolated patch in contact with the pavement and it's interaction with water on that pavement, it really makes no difference which way the siping goes. You are going to attempt to accelerate the stationary water out to the side by applying a , hopefully, stationary downward force. The only way a 'pumping' action can occur is if there is relative movement bewteen the contact patch and the road surface creating an apparent water flow. And if that's happening, your life is already way more exciting than is necessary. Using your logic, the siping on the rear tire is also going to wrong in some cases, that being when the bike is accelerating and the rear tire breaks loose. I believe the siping is oriented according to the expected direction of force experienced during accleration and braking, the former applied to the rear tire and the latter predominantly experienced by the front tire. If you were to look at the geometry of the tread blocks you would probably find significant differences between the angle of the vertical wall on each of the sides that form the sipes and those differences really determine the preferred rotation. In fact, based on my first two statements, I'd bet that the direction of the siping is based on braking/accleration forces while turning as a significant design criteria.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Steve D UK said:
Just thinking about and trying to understand the above post has given me a headache! :scratch: :lol:
I apologize. I'll go and take my meds now. And have a nap :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts