Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the bulbs on my AN400K5 with the Silverstar H4 ST this morning. Now, my low beams are out completely. The stock bulbs are Phillips HS1 and I know they're different from prior years. Did I use the wrong Silverstars - should've gotten plain H4s? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm guessing that the new bulbs draw more current and may have blown a fuse.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuses are all good . . . must be the bulbs. I'm going to go pick up the regular H4 and see if it's just the "ST" difference. Maybe they're for a different system.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Silverstars...

I have the AN650 and switched the the H4 Silverstars. Have both low and high beams. They are awesome at night. I love them. I would check with the place you bought them maybe they can test them. Are the H4 bulbs compatible with the AN400?

Best of luck. These are much better than the stock bulbs.

Dee

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's definitely the bulbs. They're the H4 ST . . . dual-filament. They look like the plain H4 and have same wattage, but are (a) more expensive - $24.99 and (b) much brighter and blusih light like the newer BMWs, Mercedces. $%*! They look great, but only work on high. I popped in just one of the H4s first, side by side, what a difference. The ST's light is really the effect I wanted :(

Oh, well both H4s are now installed. Note for folks following the post: Don't try to upgrade to the H4 ST (reads like that on package), at least on the K5.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi atl_ronb,

I am not sure what is wrong with your setup. I just completed installing my H4 ST's on my AN400 K5 and both low and high beams work great (lot's of bright, white light!). I just drove it around in the dark and there is a big difference. Flash to pass works too (momentarily lights up both high and low beams).

I am looking at the light bulb package and this is what it reads: Sylvania Silverstar High Performance Lighting H4 ST. It does say on the side, "For Motorcycle Use Only." Made in Germany. Bought them at an AutoZone for $20 a piece.

Hope you can find out what's going on since they are great lights.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Went outside tonight and realized my highbeams are gone. :(
I have an AN400K3 and did use my high beams during daytime riding.
I will be replacing them with the H4's (providing I buy the right ones! ;))
Interested in knowing for sure if I will be buying the right ones and at this point am a bit confuzzled by this thread as to which is correct for my AN400K3.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Randy said:
The bulb you got is a single filament bulb
High Performance Halogen Headlight - Single filament for use as either high beam or low beam - part number: H1ST
Highly unlikely. The H1ST has a different base than the H4ST, and the Burgman's plug wouldn't fit it.

Selias said:
...Interested in knowing for sure if I will be buying the right ones and at this point am a bit confuzzled by this thread as to which is correct for my AN400K3.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
According to the Sylvania Web site, the H4 SilverStar is part number H4ST, and as DigiNut has shown, they have been installed in AN400s.
Sylvania said:
H4 SilverStar Headlight
High Performance Halogen Headlight - Dual filament for both high beam and low beam - For Motorcycle Use - part number: H4ST
The H4ST uses a P43T base, and is 55/60 watt. According to the Sylvania site, it seems to be the only H4 type to actually have "H4" in its part number.

The other five H4 types -- part numbers 64193, 64194, 94193, 64196, and 94196 -- also have P43T bases, except for the 64194 which has a PU43T base and is 80/100 watt.

From the above I would say the H4ST should work on your AN400K3.

They should also work on an AN650 (assuming it's a US, Canadian, Californian, or Australian model. The UK & EU models, according to my service manual, require 1 H4 & 1 H7, instead of the 2 H4s we use).

As far as atl_ronb's problem; it's a mystery. Maybe defective bulbs, maybe wrong type mispackaged, who knows.

Ron,

If you still have the packaging for the ones that finally worked, what's the part number?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Ok, today bought two of the H4ST Silverstars (says "FOR MOTORCYCLE" vertically on the right side of the packaging), brought them home.

Note to self if i buy new lower side panels: Next time I remove lower-front tupperware remember those two peg/notches bottom-front (in front wheel well where the two panels come together)

Replaced bulbs..

Note to self when replacing bulbs next time: Watch that boot! (broke the tube off left headlight) before even getting to the retaining clip.

Both lights function (high and low beams on each bulb) and no tab-bending was required. :D

Job complete! Thanks for the help! :) And not one word about reading my fuzzy pdf service manual please! :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts