Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pictures of my new Texas Sidecars Ranger model that I've installed. First picture shows the outfit and others show the attachment points. The project is not done. I still have to install the new triple tree to reduce the rake to make the steering bearable. I'm still learning to handle this rig that's very different from two wheels.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Wow, that's VERY cool!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Very nice looking outfit/rig/sidecar. But rather you than me - I had a couple of friends that luv'd outfits/rigs. One had an outfit fitted professionally to a Yamaha VMax... looked bloody gorgeous, but I never liked the ride myself. Rode it a few times, but it turned me off the whole concept. The other mate, raced a Suzuki GSX1100 engined outfit in the class in NZ, his wife was the 'swinger'...

Key words:
Outfit
Wife
Swinger

LOL

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Looks fantastic!

Now for the real question... Is it for the wife or the dog?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was wondering about the steering. I wanted a sidecar for my 900 Kawi back when they came out and never could get a deal on one. Are you planning on painting it the same color as your scoot? Did you do the install and last and most important how much will you have in the project when completed..if you don't mind sharing..

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think it looks good, now you can ride year around and not worry about the snow, ice, and rain. I have had a ride in a hack one time. It was one of the scariest things I have ever done. If you think riding on back of a motorcycle is stressful, try a side car. :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Looks really neat. That's a 650, right? What kind of extra mirrors are those and how did you mount them?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
A side car is a different kettle of fish , when done properly it’s STILL ! a different kettle of fish . Try to imagine riding your bike down the street dragging a couple hundred pounds on the side of your bike , and that’s just the side car . Now lets say the side car weighs 200 pounds , then you put a 200 pound passenger in it . Now you’ve got 400 pounds pulling and dragging ? If you immediately thought “well I would think that would be a problem” you thought right . Some one once said “it’s not like a car and it’s not like a bike” , truer words were never spoken .

In no way am I trying to rain on any one’s parade here , what I’m attempting to do is sound a warning . If you are thinking about one , I would suggest you research it before taking the plunge . And most importantly drive one exactly like the one you are thinking of doing . Then ask yourself can this contraption do what I want it to do ? And then can I handle it in that scenario ? Or do I REALLY I really want to ?

There is a good reason the call them HACKS !

TheReaper!

·
Registered
426 Posts
A side car is a different kettle of fish , when done properly it’s STILL ! a different kettle of fish . Try to imagine riding your bike down the street dragging a couple hundred pounds on the side of your bike , and that’s just the side car . Now lets say the side car weighs 200 pounds , then you put a 200 pound passenger in it . Now you’ve got 400 pounds pulling and dragging ? If you immediately thought “well I would think that would be a problem” you thought right . Some one once said “it’s not like a car and it’s not like a bike” , truer words were never spoken .

In no way am I trying to rain on any one’s parade here , what I’m attempting to do is sound a warning . If you are thinking about one , I would suggest you research it before taking the plunge . And most importantly drive one exactly like the one you are thinking of doing . Then ask yourself can this contraption do what I want it to do ? And then can I handle it in that scenario ? Or do I REALLY I really want to ?

There is a good reason the call them HACKS !

TheReaper!
Bingo... spot on!
I second the sentiment that one should ride one (same make/model) before deciding on buying an outfit, or converting a MC to one. IMO a purpose built outfit from a manufacturer is likely better than an add-on after the fact. However neither approaches float my boat, but that is my personal view. I appreciate it will likely not be shared by others. If I wanted to ride 3 wheels, I'd go with a Gilera Fuco500, or simlar...
YMMV

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Can someone explain, in simple terms, what is the deal with modifying the front forks, when installing a hack.
I have read about sidecar additions, to various bikes, in magazines, they mention modifying the forks, but how?

It would seem, that the hack would try to pull the bike to the right at all times, so do you have to constantly steer to the left a little?

Thanks and it looks like a good job.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mike, steering a sidecar outfit takes a lot of muscle power. You have to really work your arms and shoulders. The stock front forks are not designed for that. So sidecar owners often modify the front forks to make the steering easier.
I had a sidecar outfit about ten years and never did any mods to the front end and never had any difficulties, but it was a lot of work to steer.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Mike, steering a sidecar outfit takes a lot of muscle power. You have to really work your arms and shoulders. The stock front forks are not designed for that. So sidecar owners often modify the front forks to make the steering easier.
I had a sidecar outfit about ten years and never did any mods to the front end and never had any difficulties, but it was a lot of work to steer.
So by modify I'm assuming you mean adding rake to the forks like the trike guys do?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I cant remember if adding rake or decreasing it was the answer. I never bothered to do so and it has been 20 years since I had the sidecar! When I had my outfit, most sidecar drivers used an "Earles type" front suspension,(as seen on very old BMW motorcycles).
Go to Ural Motorcycles and on their motorcycles, you will see the type of front suspension I am talking about. http://ural.com/

My sidecar outfit was a Spirit Eagle sidecar mounted to a 550 Suzuki. I really liked it, but loved leaning in curves better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello !
Please show more photos mounts . More details if you can. I velorex 562. I also want to fix on Sky Wave 650 LX but not knowing how to do it and where do mount. You really help me . Thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks nice, wonder how much extra strain there is on CVT. Set up properly sidecars are fun to ride, not set up correctly they are a fight. If this company has produced for the Burg 650 previously they should be able to help you get set up proper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts