Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a new set put on todayfrom Motorcycle Superstore and there was a noticable vibation starting around 30mph. I called the installer and he suggested it might be normal breakin. Later I was coming down a hill an eased off the throttle...the steering virbated so much (back and forth) it scared me. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what is the likely cause? It was running great with the Bridgestones, so it just started... Thanks!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
You may want to check to see if the balancing weights may have fallen off. If there was no indication that there were any then it'll need balanced. Also check the tire for any bulges and proper pressure along with the axle and pinch bolt torques. Then the brake calipers for proper torque as simple tire change should not yield such shuddering at low speed. There is no "normal break-in" that I'm aware of other than surface scuffing for the first 100 miles on a new tire.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
What TechArtGuy said. An improper installation, bad out of balance tire, out of round tire, weak spot in the tire causing a bulge, something is wrong most likely in the front tire.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Look at the bead, it may not be seated but probably is Ok. Check pressure. Side of tire says 33 PSI but 36 will be better on the bias ply tire. As others have stated, look for things that don't look right. I don't think balance would be a big issue at such a low speed but an out of round tire would be.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I had a new Shinko on the back of my 06 that I sold to Ken (of Ken and Sharlene who did the USA perimeter ride this summer). It gave me no problems. Ken did not mention any on his blog, either. As I recall, he did have to replace it, but he had thousands of miles on it by then. tom

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
check the direction arrows on both tires, make sure they got it right...

also double check the air pressure on both front and rear.

something has changed, beside the tires....

it's possible that the tires can be faulty, but I doubt it...

take it back to whomever installed it and have them check it out

hopefully they balanced the tires correctly.

my shinkos never showed any signs of vibration, or anything else...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Believe it or not, a friend of mine put Shinkos on his Goldwing and had terrible results. He took the tires off and found that the tires were not a symetrical circle. The wall was thinner on one side of the tire than on the other. He swears he will never buy a Shinko again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had the same thing happen last year. It ended up being a bulge inside the BACK tire, that was not visible. You should be able to feel the bulge if that is the problem, even if it is not visable.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
A used Honda I recently bought had rear tires on both wheels. Just thinkin' it would be worth checking.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
greenheron said:
A used Honda I recently bought had rear tires on both wheels. Just thinkin' it would be worth checking.
But a Burgy 650 uses 15" up front and 14" in the rear, I'd like to see that swap. :D

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
TechArtGuy wrote: You may want to check to see if the balancing weights may have fallen off
+1 on that. Had the same thing happen a few years back after leaving the shop with a new set of tires. They used the "stick-on" type of weights and when looking closely I could see some glue residue where the weight should have been. Easy fix. Good Luck.

·
Administrator
18,380 Posts
greenheron said:
You can run a rear tire on the front but it must be run in the reverse direction due to braking. Rear tires have the tread setup for accelaration so it you put it on the front the better traction is needed for braking.

This should only be a track use setup. But there are some nice 130/80 15 rear tires out there.

·
Registered
842 Posts
It must be a balance problem or as Ledude stated the arrows on the tires not going in the proper direction.
I have over 1200 miles on my shinko's and i just LOVE them. They are smooth, they grip well dry or wet and
you can't beat them for the $$$.

·
Administrator
18,380 Posts
And where is the OP? What was the outcome?

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I have the Shinko shakes too

rcd1390 said:
I had a new set put on todayfrom Motorcycle Superstore and there was a noticable vibation starting around 30mph. I called the installer and he suggested it might be normal breakin. Later I was coming down a hill an eased off the throttle...the steering virbated so much (back and forth) it scared me. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what is the likely cause? It was running great with the Bridgestones, so it just started... Thanks!
Everyone interested in the Shinko front tire SR567F in size 120/70-15.
I put a brand new one on my Burgman 650 on Saturday. I only put a front tire, the rear still is a pilot sport ~50% used.
Sunday morning I went for a test drive.
Between 30-40 mph there is a definite shake, not uncontrollable, but disconcerting.
Air at 36psi. trip home drop to 33psi, no difference.
OK, back to my laboratory I went and checked all the following.
Front steering and forks. Rock solid with no shake or any other problems.
Pull new front Shinko tire and visually inspect - no obvious problems - and yes, rotation is correct.
Brake tire down and inspect inner carcass, no obvious defects.
Rotate tire 180 degrees from original mounting and remount. Set at 36psi and re balance needing 1/2 ounce opposite valve stem.
Take for test drive, shake is still there and obvious at 30 - 40 mph.
Back to my shop, pull tire and put old bridgestone back on. Air up, re balance, remount on scoot.
Test drive.
Smooth as could be with no shake or wobble all speed ranges up to 75 mph.
So yes, I think there is a problem with the Shinko front tire.
I bought the tire about 2 or 3 months ago and am looking for sales receipt.
Anyone tell me how to read the date code on this tire?
thanks

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
As much as I hate to chime in on this, because I really like the way the Shinko tires ride and handle overall, I too have a slight vibration since putting them on. I had them mounted and speed balanced at a Suzuki dealer, yet I get a slight but noticable vibration in the 42 to 47 MPH,(on the speedo) range. That means it is actually in the 38 to 42+ mph range when corrected for speedo error. More annoying than anything, and seems to be fine up to that point and beyond it to faster than I typically go. I did look at the weights they used for balancing, and one side of the tire has 4 stick on type weights, opposite only 3 on the other side, so I am wondering if I lost a weight. I have about 900 miles on the tires and they do ride quiet and handle well aside from the slight vibration. I took it back to the dealer to ride it, and they could feel it, but wouldn't rebalance the tire unless I paid, because I originally just brought the tires in when I took them off to replace the bearings and have the new tires put on. They didn't want to lose out on the labor for removal and replacement which I understand. FWIW.

Rick.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
scootervibe said:
As much as I hate to chime in on this, because I really like the way the Shinko tires ride and handle overall, I too have a slight vibration since putting them on. I had them mounted and speed balanced at a Suzuki dealer, yet I get a slight but noticable vibration in the 42 to 47 MPH,(on the speedo) range. That means it is actually in the 38 to 42+ mph range when corrected for speedo error. More annoying than anything, and seems to be fine up to that point and beyond it to faster than I typically go. I did look at the weights they used for balancing, and one side of the tire has 4 stick on type weights, opposite only 3 on the other side, so I am wondering if I lost a weight. I have about 900 miles on the tires and they do ride quiet and handle well aside from the slight vibration. I took it back to the dealer to ride it, and they could feel it, but wouldn't rebalance the tire unless I paid, because I originally just brought the tires in when I took them off to replace the bearings and have the new tires put on. They didn't want to lose out on the labor for removal and replacement which I understand. FWIW.

Rick.
How long have you had these Shinkos? The vibration on mine was in the front tire.
Date code as best I can make out is 4711.
Very hard to read last number but the little I can see does look like the bottom of a one.
What is the date code on your front tire?

·
Registered
65 Posts
GeeGusKahn, I got the tires from Motorcycle superstore back in Oct/Nov of 2011. I had them mounted in March of this year. The front was made in week 39, 2011. The rear was made in week 50, 2011. FWIW.

Rick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
new shinkos and vibration

I've logged about 2000 miles on new front and rear Shinkos. Handling, wear pattern, ride quality, noise, etc.. all excellent. My front tire however, has an occasional vibration. I used Dyna beads as the balancing medium, the recommended 2 oz both front and rear. The rear remains super smooth with 2 oz. This morning I tried adding an additional 1/2 oz to the front (for total of 2.5 oz). There''s a noticable improvement, especially at interstate speeds where it's now very, very smooth...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts